PDA

View Full Version : ..your computers enviorment as it relates to hardware..

TheBunnellFarm
Mar 9, 2005, 01:17 PM
..a message I posted on my local Apple web site disscussion group I belong to....today...and "Classmates"

Hi gang...

I just thought I would let you all know.....two things...one...my computers are working great..I have my Compaq PC (Windows) on the one, and of course, my Apple G5 Panther (Safari) with the other...both working great...what a relief...I just click the button and I'm on one and click it again and I'm on the other...

..the second thing...for the time being...no monitors...none...my projector shoots its image on my wall...an eight foot image...a beautiful crystal clear image with beautiful colors and a rich full sound system...thats it...sounds simple and basic enough and it is...the thing is...I can sit here in my recliner...about as comfortable as comfortable gets...with my mouse and keyboard easily at my right hand as I choose...now here is the payoff...I can do my computer stuff at random..I can switch over and watch the news or put in a DVD...I can do what I want when I want with no hassel or no problems..weather its a long drawn out editing project or simply watching tv...all on this big screen...total comfort...total funchionality...and a total work station....lets say the phone rings...I touch a button...the persons image who is calling pops up on my eight foot screen...its mom or my brother Ron or one of my grandkids or a business contact...I click and the image goes to a quarter or an eighth of the screen...we mutally look at what is on the screen and look at each other and talk about it...then back to whatever I was doing...so what does all this enviormental stuff have to do with computing and Apple...my answer is...everything...just thought you might like to know...Tom

Don't forget I could have done the same thing on my grandaughters $10 iMac with a $75 projector shooting on a blank white wall...

redeye be
Mar 9, 2005, 01:55 PM
Your posts make my eyes go red twice as fast.

$10 iMac?

mkrishnan
Mar 9, 2005, 01:56 PM
I have a headache now. Just wanted to share that. :D

EDIT: Nice sounding setup, though. :)

TheBunnellFarm
Mar 9, 2005, 02:21 PM
I got it second hand at a thrift store..I had to put $80 in it though...it's a 15 inch Graphite, Indigo Special about a 2001 model and has Panther and a great picture..

V.A.Toss
Mar 9, 2005, 02:25 PM
Actually im interested in this. But i know nothing about it.

Ive been looking at projectors for quite a while.

Care to tell us the pros and cons of having a projector?

Does the room have to be darker if you use one?
What are the best projectors and how much are they?

cheers

V.A.Toss
Mar 9, 2005, 07:14 PM
can anyone help???

mkrishnan
Mar 9, 2005, 07:21 PM
can anyone help???

The major cons I'm aware of are:

- Short bulb life -- the bulb is going to be a consumable item if you use your projector intensively. And they cost $200-400 *each* :eek:

- True blacks do not come out that well, because they typically project onto a white screen or wall. Someone -- Sony? -- was working on technology for a black screen onto which the unit would project, which would then flouresce or something, so that colors could still be seen, but I don't think this is in production.

- Most modern projectors can be seen in dimly to moderately lit rooms, but are going to be pretty washed out if there is much light, so yes, you're going to have to dim or turn off the lights.

On the pro side...gangsta' screen size, high-res DVD viewing....

If you want to know more about technologies, google "Digital Light Processing" -- this is an alternative to LCDs that is in more and more projectors -- it is a sort of disco ball that redirects light from a source to different positions and angles. Anyway, you should be able to find a comparison between the two technologies if you google that term.

V.A.Toss
Mar 9, 2005, 08:03 PM
Much appreciated

Am considering a new TV for the flat, ill have to persuade my flatmate to pitch in too. Would also like to hook it up to a mini, then saves me cash for a new monitor.

It might be better to buy a regular screen, but ill look into it.