Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
guys, I want to know if the following is possible:
although i set the brightness to minimum, in the morning I find it useful to dim the brightness even lower, for example when I switch the widgets button, it makes the bright dimmer, which is perfect. Is there an application or settings to do that ?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Im afraid I don't really understand your post. You set the brightness on you mac to its lowest setting in the morning and want to make it lower?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Im afraid I don't really understand your post. You set the brightness on you mac to its lowest setting in the morning and want to make it lower?
To phrase the original question another way: Is it possible to adjust the brightness in smaller increments than the "normal methods" for adjusting it allow?

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
To phrase the original question another way: Is it possible to adjust the brightness in smaller increments than the "normal methods" for adjusting it allow?

yes you are right, its the right way to say it. Basically, I did not set it to lowest brightness which is 0, but I set it to 1 unit. I want to set it a little lower than 1 unit, not completely 0, I've seen some apps like dimmer than dim, but can only be downloaded through Mac App Store which works only on Snow Leopard unfortunately.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dimmer-than-dim/id418816854?mt=12

The effect is similar to using gadget view, the screen gets a little dimmer.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I've seen some apps like dimmer than dim, but can only be downloaded through Mac App Store which works only on Snow Leopard.

That's the brilliance behind the Mac App Store.

It gives Apple the perfect place to sell Special Apps that only work on certain versions of OS X.

What a terrific money maker for Apple.

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
That's the brilliance behind the Mac App Store.

It gives Apple the perfect place to sell Special Apps that only work on certain versions of OS X.

What a terrific money maker for Apple.

I've tried to download it via another system using Snow Leopard but it was not enough to have latest OSX, now they ask for credit card details. that sucks! anyway apple lost me as client for the mobile phones battle, Android has a better chance for me in the near future, and I'm still satisfied with Symbian.

too much control is not good for geeks!

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Wasn't there some key combo for incrementing or decrementing the brightness in smaller steps? Shift-Alt + the brightness buttons, or something

sine-nomine

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Finer stores everywhere.
That's interesting - it does seem to dim my screen even below the first bar, but it's barely noticeable. When I tried it last night, my room was dark, I had no windows open, and my desktop background was a very dark blue, so I'm wondering if the difference I saw was actually just due to having a little quarter of a square more showing up in the brightness indicator itself, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.