PDA

View Full Version : Dirty marketing tricks

dantastic
May 1, 2011, 10:42 AM
I'm a programmer through and through so I'm still getting acquainted with the whole marketing part. to be honest I would be much happier if I could do without.

Anyways, it is clearly against the rules to be selling, buying or trading app reviews on the app store. You can get banned for doing it. Still I've come across on other forums threads completely dedicated to the trade of app reviews.

Just made me think, these guys are doing it out in the open and are obviously getting away with it. So out there on the store, how much is actually genuine? Makes it a bit harder if you're spending your time making sure things are perfect rather than playing the dirty tricks.

But then again as history has told over and over, it's not necessarily the better product that wins the war but the better marketed one.

apologies for the rant btw... :o

firewood
May 1, 2011, 01:18 PM
That isn't the worst of it. There are reportedly evil services that, for a price, will not only pad an app's reviews with good ones and downvote all the bad ones, but do the opposite for the apps of competing developers. I'm so glad I didn't do a f*rt app, or somesuch, that would have to compete against this kind of dirt.

That's in addition to teenage hit-and-run's, kids with too much money who will buy apps without reading the description, then give the app a 1-star rating because wasn't something else completely different that the app never claimed to be. Or complain in a 1-star review that the app (whatever it is) should have been 99 cents.

But that seems to be business as usual.

Enjoy being in the App store! :eek: