Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

birchest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
I understand overseas carriers let you do that,but I am not sure about US carriers.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
If you mean, without a long contract then it depends: AT&T will not let you use an iPhone with their prepay accounts (which I didn't know when I bought my iPhone).

If you mean, just buy them and use them otherwise without any phone ability, yes.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
If you're not getting the phone at a discount via new contract then usually yes.
When you sign a contract for a smart phone it usually has the stipulation that you must carry the smartphone or data extra fee for the entirety of the contract.
If you mean, without a long contract then it depends: AT&T will not let you use an iPhone with their prepay accounts (which I didn't know when I bought my iPhone).

If you mean, just buy them and use them otherwise without any phone ability, yes.

They don't let you... but there are ways to do it.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Try an unlocked device. Then a post paid or prepaid account should work(assuming AT&T doesn't sell the phone themselves) Also AT&T has an Android device that is prepaid and you can add data,so if you don't want it, you're fine.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
pretty much you need to be grandfathered in on it and bring other non iphone smart phone on it that are hand me downs or bought off contract.
My dad uses a smart phone with out a data plan mind you it is a hand me down from my brother and sister. He is planning to join the smart phone crowd soon when he gets my blackberry hand me down and getting a 200 meg data plan with it.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Can't be done on Verizon. The device ESN autmaically triggers a data package add-on. Now, there's always the possibility of the exception to the rule, but I've never seen nor heard it.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I'm in Canada and use an unlocked AT&T iPhone on Roger's network without data, had no problem, they even were the ones to install the SIM in my phone. I also had put my SIM from my payphone in the iPhone without any problem before that.

If you are using an iPhone that's not locked to another carrier, how would they know/care what phone you put their SIM into? I guess you'd be beter off giving them a call.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I'm in Canada and use an unlocked AT&T iPhone on Roger's network without data, had no problem, they even were the ones to install the SIM in my phone. I also had put my SIM from my payphone in the iPhone without any problem before that.

If you are using an iPhone that's not locked to another carrier, how would they know/care what phone you put their SIM into? I guess you'd be beter off giving them a call.

Manufacturers often give carriers the list of IMEIs for a particular handset. E.g. T-mobile carries the G2X, they likely have all the IMEIs of the Optimus 2Xs in their system as well.

Though I don't know how they knew I used an iPhone, maybe IMEIs from their parent co?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.