PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 Dual, decent deal?

ZMacintosh
May 1, 2011, 04:45 PM
Theres a seller locally that has a PowerMac G5 Dual core non-liquid cooling system, original restore discs, looks really clean inside/out.
theyre asking $275, i was looking to get it for a spare machine for a family member whose generic pc has been puttzing out on them.

i was thinking of offering $225~ cash for it after testing it out.

I was curious if those who had something similar if they knew if its a decent deal or worth it for that type of machine. i was thinking a mini but theyre still in the $350+ range for intel mac minis.

ashman70
May 1, 2011, 04:49 PM
As long as you are ok with Leopard, and running older versions of software, then it sounds like an ok deal to me as intel macs will be more money. I believe the highest a G5 can go is 10.5.8 as they cannot run Snow Leopard, and I think they can only run iLife 09 and not the latest version.

AM

Ryy
May 1, 2011, 05:31 PM
I think if you can score that for a little better deal, you will be good to go. I have seen several in the 180 dollar range on ebay, etc. Depends on how much ram, vid card, etc., I guess....

I still have one that I use all the time. It runs great and does pretty much everything I need. True, you are capped at 10.5.8, but it is not that big of a deal. Not for the little money you are going to pay for such a great machine. :D

ZMacintosh
May 1, 2011, 05:56 PM
yeah esp for a machine that will be used pretty sparingly anyway from what i gather from their needs.

has 6GB of memory, 160GB HDD, i have OSX Leopard to give them looks like a 2Ghz i believe, Dual-processor

havent heard back but i think maybe 190 to 200 would be fair

Ryy
May 1, 2011, 06:17 PM
yeah esp for a machine that will be used pretty sparingly anyway from what i gather from their needs.

has 6GB of memory, 160GB HDD, i have OSX Leopard to give them looks like a 2Ghz i believe, Dual-processor

havent heard back but i think maybe 190 to 200 would be fair

yeah, that is nice that it has all the memory. Good luck grabbing it man. Hope you get a good deal.