Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Theres a seller locally that has a PowerMac G5 Dual core non-liquid cooling system, original restore discs, looks really clean inside/out.
theyre asking $275, i was looking to get it for a spare machine for a family member whose generic pc has been puttzing out on them.

i was thinking of offering $225~ cash for it after testing it out.

I was curious if those who had something similar if they knew if its a decent deal or worth it for that type of machine. i was thinking a mini but theyre still in the $350+ range for intel mac minis.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
As long as you are ok with Leopard, and running older versions of software, then it sounds like an ok deal to me as intel macs will be more money. I believe the highest a G5 can go is 10.5.8 as they cannot run Snow Leopard, and I think they can only run iLife 09 and not the latest version.

AM

Ryy

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2010
Florida
I think if you can score that for a little better deal, you will be good to go. I have seen several in the 180 dollar range on ebay, etc. Depends on how much ram, vid card, etc., I guess....

I still have one that I use all the time. It runs great and does pretty much everything I need. True, you are capped at 10.5.8, but it is not that big of a deal. Not for the little money you are going to pay for such a great machine. :D

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
yeah esp for a machine that will be used pretty sparingly anyway from what i gather from their needs.

has 6GB of memory, 160GB HDD, i have OSX Leopard to give them looks like a 2Ghz i believe, Dual-processor

havent heard back but i think maybe 190 to 200 would be fair

Ryy

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2010
Florida
yeah esp for a machine that will be used pretty sparingly anyway from what i gather from their needs.

has 6GB of memory, 160GB HDD, i have OSX Leopard to give them looks like a 2Ghz i believe, Dual-processor

havent heard back but i think maybe 190 to 200 would be fair

yeah, that is nice that it has all the memory. Good luck grabbing it man. Hope you get a good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.