Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyFrond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Hi guys,

Can't figure this one out.

I have two macbook pro's, one is a 2009 13" macbook pro running leopard, the other a brand new i7 15" macbook pro running snow leopard.

I have them both configured as much the same as you can with the two operating systems and I swap them about a lot at the moment, when studying, I use the new one to work on, and the old one for internet and information. Kind of a geeky mission control thing going on.

But now the 13" won't connect to the internet.
Ethernet seems fine
Wireless connection seems fine
yet no internet.

This happened 2 days ago, and I managed to fix it by repairing permissions and restarting. Now this has happened again today but the same thing won't fix it.

Any pointers would be really helpful.

Kind regards

Jonny

JonnyFrond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Does no one know about this at all really?

It seems to be a problem with dhcp. I noticed that it had a 169 IP adress, so tried to change it, now it won't get ip address automatically.

There must be someone out there that has had this problem before, I like to think i'm unique, but that's just an ego thing really.

JonnyFrond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Ok, I have found the answer to this one now, so here it is as no one seems to know it for Leopard.

First disable firewall or allow all incoming connections.

Network pane - advanced - TCP/IP
change DHCP to bootp and apply it all.
Connection will be lost. go back in, change it back to DHCP (no IP address will be assigned at this point. Apply.

Voila

Don't forget to put your firewall back to what it was.

I hope this will be useful for someone.

regards

Jonny

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.