Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Manchester, United Kingdom
Hi all, Just recently received my NX5E and I am on the look out for a decent pair of headphones to monitor sound out and about on location. Looking for a set that are a good all round purchase, being able to cope with mainly filming outside in potentially noisey environments.

Price isn't a huge factor however if I can get a really good set for less than £150 it would be ideal.

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Nick

ideasplace

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Headphones we use

Hi there,

We use a few different types in the studio.

For general monitoring the Sony MDR-7506/1 are very neutral and reliable, they do have a sort of folding mechanism that can be annoying sometimes.

For mixing bands I use Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro which are really good but at 220 ohms have to be driven quite hard to get reasonable volume - good for a mixer, bad for an iPod - and they are quite huge!

Finally for a lightweight portable reference headphone you can do a lot worse than the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

Hope that helps

Brad

NFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Thank you Brad, I was actually looking at the hd 25s so I am glad you have given them a mention. With the small area the headphones seem to cover though I was worried that out and about you wouldn't quite get enough noise canceling?

Nick

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
For general monitoring the Sony MDR-7506/1 are very neutral and reliable, they do have a sort of folding mechanism that can be annoying sometimes.

^THIS

These have been the film and television industry standard for years. Why not hear the audio the same way most people working with it would listen to it? If it's good for all the pros out there, it's good enough for you. I've tried them all and always go back to my 7506's.

NFox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, I have purchased the Sennheiser's and the Sony's. Going to try them both and just return whichever pair I least get on with!

Nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.