PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors 2011 Blood Drive!

Doctor Q
May 1, 2011, 03:26 PM

Last year MacRumors held the first MacRumors Blood Drive, a successful effort to encourage blood and platelet donations by our forum members and site visitors, including first-time donors. This year we're doing it again!

Why? MacRumors is an online community where users regularly help each other. We're applying that spirit to the real world community by asking everyone who can to donate blood or donate platelets during the month of May. By donating at your local donor center you will help people who need blood or platelets to survive or recover from injury, surgery, or illness.

Why should you donate? Because one hour of your time can save the lives of three people in your city. Donating to charities is one way to help people in need, but no amount of money can replace a unit of blood or platelets when it's needed. Saving another person's life is the greatest act of charity.

How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive:

1. Donate blood or platelets in May

Pick a day in May when you can spare an hour. Donate blood, platelets, or plasma at any donor center in your city.

2. Let us know about it

The reward for donating is personal satisfaction that's hard to describe. But we want to add to your reward by giving you a well-deserved pat on the back.

After you donate you'll get a bandage or plaster on your arm. Take a photo and show it to us by posting in this thread. Even if you don't get a photo, tell us about the donation you've made. Mention if it's blood or platelets, how many units, and if you're a first-time donor. We're keeping an Honor Roll (see below) to give you public thanks for your generosity and to encourage others.

3. Spread the word

Not everyone can donate. Some people are ineligible, based on rules that vary by country (see note below). If you're nervous as a first-time donor, talk to those who have faced that problem before you. Every donor has to take that first step.

If you can't donate, let others know about the need for blood and platelet donations. Convincing someone else to donate blood adds to the supply just as much as donating yourself. If you convince a friend or family member to donate, take a photo of their arm and post it here. We still want to recognize your effort.

Notes:
This thread is for celebrating the participants in the MacRumors Blood Drive. Please use the accompanying news thread if you want to discuss the social issues regarding blood and platelet donations, including the ongoing debate about the eligibility restrictions on gay donors.

The MacRumors Blood Drive was proposed by and planned with forum member Shaun.P.

You are welcome to copy/paste this line into your forum signature:
:) I support the MacRumors Blood Drive! :)
It'll come out like this:

Shaun.P
May 2, 2011, 02:59 AM

The following MacRumors users have reported their blood, platelet, or plasma donation in this thread. Congratulations and thank you for doing your part to help people in need!

May 1 or before:
drewsof07: blood
tooz: blood
iXtina: blood
kainjow: blood, first donation
ulbador: blood
eawmp1: blood, 2 units
stridemat: blood
Doctor Q: platelets, 2 units
funone0: blood, 2 units
DoubleVision19: blood

May 2:
houdinize: blood, first donation
fysh3: platelets
Uffish Thought: blood, 1 unit; platelets, 1 unit
Alexmoo: blood, first donation
rneumann: blood, 1 unit; plasma, 2 units

May 3:
bpal1: platelets, 2 units
mosidee: blood, first donation
olela: blood
opspin: blood
erzeszut: blood

May 4:
mickbab: blood

May 5:
G4-power: blood

May 6:
iwbyte: platelets, 3 units

May 7:
iomar: blood

May 11:
silexh: blood

May 12:
spillproof and family: blood, 3 units
Monkeyfoahead: blood

May 13:
Jeff Meredith: blood

May 17:
shaynes: blood

May 24:
jbachandouris: blood

May 25:
Shaun.P: blood
skinuca: platelets, 3 units

May 27:
iwbyte: platelets, 3 units
FutureBlake: blood

32 Units of Blood, 15 Units of Platelets and 2 units of Plasma have been donated so far - 49 units total!

Shaun.P
May 2, 2011, 03:00 AM
To find a donor center, eligibility information, and donation facts:

See our new Mac Guide: Blood and Platelet Donation

MacRumors members considering donating for the first time may be wondering what happens when you donate blood. Blood donation takes about an hour for a health interview, the setup, the actual donation, and relaxing afterwards. The actual blood draw takes only 5 to 15 minutes and makes a huge difference to the recipient who receives it. Here (http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/what-happens/) is an interactive demonstration of the procedure in the UK. Although the procedure in the US (or in other countries) may be slightly different, the underlying procedure is the same.

Donating blood is extremely rewarding. Most people are eligible but only approximately 3% to 4% of the population choose to donate blood. Unfortunately, this small percentage often doesn't meet the continual demand. Donating blood does save lives!

If you are interested in donating, find out if you are eligible and locate a donation center. In the new Mac Guide we've collected information about donation in many countries. If you know donation information for other countries please add them to the guide!

Thank You!

centauratlas
May 2, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'm up to 3 and 3/4 gallons since I moved to this area (and more before that), but won't be eligible to donate again in May...but it is great to see more people helping!

dmk1974
May 2, 2011, 04:28 PM
The ARC also has some good information on their website for donating blood:
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood

iJohnHenry
May 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
I gave 4 vials today, a record, I think? :D

funone0
May 2, 2011, 04:54 PM
I donated two units of red blood cells on April 26th, it was my second time donating and it was at my high school, if I had known about this I would have waited until may, please include my donation in the total. :)

houdinize
May 2, 2011, 05:07 PM
First-time donor and I gave a pint of blood. A lot less scarier than I thought.

fysh3
May 2, 2011, 05:12 PM
Platelet donation today. Its my 11th time :) Going again in just under 4 weeks.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/afx69/IMG_1226.jpg

Uffish Thought
May 2, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'm one hand typing as I donate platelets, plasma and RBC's right now at Blood Centers of the Pacific.

I've been donating for 25 years and have given >20 gallons, often giving platelets several times a month when called upon.

I'll post a pic when I'm done :D

iJohnHenry
May 2, 2011, 05:44 PM
Platelet donation today.

I'm one hand typing as I donate platelets, plasma

And because of people like you, a sweet 90-year-old WWII vet is still alive, to enjoy life as best he can. :cool:

TheBritishBloke
May 2, 2011, 05:46 PM
After a quick phone call to the NHS, turns out I can't donate due to some treatment I had last year. So I apparently can't donate until august this year. But I will definitely post here when I do! SORRY! :(

Alexmoo
May 2, 2011, 05:54 PM
Donated for my first time at my school Blood Drive for Canadian Blood Services today.
I donated 1 unit of blood, and other than a brief period of being less than fully conscious, it was a pretty great experience.
Great idea MacRumors, donating blood is such an important and under appreciated issue- hopefully the community steps up and donates.

iJohnHenry
May 2, 2011, 06:18 PM
Donated for my first time at my school Blood Drive for Canadian Blood Services today.

Depending on where you are, you may soon be another person keeping Alan alive. :cool:

wvuwhat
May 2, 2011, 06:56 PM
Unless things have changed, I'm barred from donating anything, because I'm diabetic. But, I firmly support the cause.

iJohnHenry
May 2, 2011, 07:22 PM
Unless things have changed, I'm barred from donating anything, because I'm diabetic. But, I firmly support the cause.

Take heart, and ask.

Diabetes/Blood Pressure

Donors with well-established (not recently diagnosed) diabetes, who are controlled by diet, oral medications and/or insulin therapy, are eligible to donate

Controlling medications must have been used in the 24 hours before donation

Donors with controlled high blood pressure by diet, oral medications are eligible to donate

http://www.cbccts.org/donating/index.htm

lilcosco08
May 2, 2011, 07:39 PM
Anyone know if 15 year olds can donate?

bpal1
May 2, 2011, 09:48 PM
Platelets, 2 units, my 78th donation since 2004.

true777
May 2, 2011, 10:05 PM
Thank you so much, all. As a blood cancer sufferer I have had to rely on blood transfusions quite a few times when my own body wasn't producing blood properly.

In addition to giving blood and/or platelets I encourage everyone to register as a stem cell donor. Nowadays stem cell donation is quick and virtually painless, and you can save the life of a desperately ill person whose illness can be eradicated with just a few vials of your life-saving stem cells.

http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/Join_Now/join_now.html

Stem cell donors are urgently needed - there are long wait lists of patients who are dying. I might need a stem cell donor at some point in the future to save my life. Please register, it only takes a few minutes. The chance you will ever actually be needed as a donor is small (you'd have to be a perfect match on many blood criteria), and if you are contacted you can still refuse, so you are not committing to anything just by signing up.

mosidee
May 2, 2011, 10:09 PM
Donated (blood) for my first time at The Thai Red Cross Society.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j330/meesido/IMG_2564-1.jpg

porcupine8
May 2, 2011, 11:08 PM
Thank you so much, all. As a blood cancer sufferer I have had to rely on blood transfusions quite a few times when my own body wasn't producing blood properly.

In addition to giving blood and/or platelets I encourage everyone to register as a stem cell donor. Nowadays stem cell donation is quick and virtually painless, and you can save the life of a desperately ill person whose illness can be eradicated with just a few vials of your life-saving stem cells.

http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/Join_Now/join_now.html

Stem cell donors are urgently needed - there are long wait lists of patients who are dying. I might need a stem cell donor at some point in the future to save my life. Please register, it only takes a few minutes. The chance you will ever actually be needed as a donor is small (you'd have to be a perfect match on many blood criteria), and if you are contacted you can still refuse, so you are not committing to anything just by signing up.

I can't donate (blood or stem cells, even my baby's umbilical cord blood) either due to my own cancer history, but I wanted to second this! Signing up to be on the bone marrow registry is as simple as a cheek swab, no needles involved.

I think my husband is due to donate blood again, I will remind him to do it this month!

Doctor Q
May 2, 2011, 11:34 PM
Anyone know if 15 year olds can donate?
In the U.S. the minimum age varies by state. Since 2009 the minimum age to donate in Ohio is 16 with parental consent.

See Information for 16 Year Old Donors (http://www.redcrossblood.org/students/sixteen).

mikey203
May 3, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm both underweight and gay, so nit happening for me I'm afraid!! Will have to persuade someone else to give in my place!

olela
May 3, 2011, 04:11 AM
Donated 500ml at my local hospital here in Norway earlier today.
It's my second time only, as we only give blood 3-4 times a year here.

This must be one of the easiest ways to help others... I hope more people start to donate:)

vbed
May 3, 2011, 06:07 AM
Hi all,

I've been a lurker on these boards for a while (mostly watching the iPad2 threads, I got one on launch day by queueing up) and this is my first post.

I'd just like to say a heart-felt thank you to all of you who have decided to give blood, both on-going and for the first time because of this appeal.

I'm just an average Joe but my wife is suffering from an untreatable form of cancer. One of the side effects of cancer, and namely cancer treatments such as chemo and radiotherapy is that it quite often makes you anaemic - a lack of red cells in your blood.

When you're already dealing with the crap of cancer becoming anaemic is the last thing you want, it makes you short of breath, energy less and causes your heart-beat to race.

My wife has been treated for anaemia twice this year already, both times needing 2 units of blood to help her reverse the effects.

Without others generously giving blood her anaemia could have gone to be life threatening.

So thank you, thank you, thank you.

And if you're still deciding to give blood - do, if you can. Please. Everyone involved in taking the blood from you is great (they understand you're nervous) and you'll feel like a hero for at least 24hours. I know, I gave blood for the first time last month and I'm already signed up for another go in June.

Thanks

iSaint
May 3, 2011, 09:41 AM
Gave a pint March 30th. Wish I knew how many gallons I'd given over the years.

My daughter, now 17, gave for the first time. She did fine until a few hours later when she fainted at work. Probably should have gone home to rest.

Shaun.P
May 3, 2011, 11:57 AM
First-time donor and I gave a pint of blood. A lot less scarier than I thought.

Platelet donation today. Its my 11th time :) Going again in just under 4 weeks.

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/afx69/IMG_1226.jpg)

I'm one hand typing as I donate platelets, plasma and RBC's right now at Blood Centers of the Pacific.

I've been donating for 25 years and have given >20 gallons, often giving platelets several times a month when called upon.

I'll post a pic when I'm done :D

I donated 1 unit of blood, and other than a brief period of being less than fully conscious, it was a pretty great experience.
Great idea MacRumors, donating blood is such an important and under appreciated issue- hopefully the community steps up and donates.

Platelets, 2 units, my 78th donation since 2004.

Donated (blood) for my first time at The Thai Red Cross Society.

Image (http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j330/meesido/IMG_2564-1.jpg)

Donated 500ml at my local hospital here in Norway earlier today.
It's my second time only, as we only give blood 3-4 times a year here.

This must be one of the easiest ways to help others... I hope more people start to donate:)

Thank you all for your blood donations! Your support is greatly appreciated. Your donations have been added to the honour roll. If any of the information is incorrect, please PM me!

Remember to try and show us your blood donation!!!

Shaun.

rneumann
May 3, 2011, 12:10 PM
Gave 1 unit of Red Blood Cells and 2 units of Plasma yesterday...

GO SJ SHARKS!

Opspin
May 3, 2011, 12:15 PM
My local donor office emailed me last week saying it was time, this was my 9th donation and next time I'll get a price (some sort of pin I think) :cool:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5683521480_4888dfaabc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/opspin/5683521480/)
Donating blood (http://www.flickr.com/photos/opspin/5683521480/) by Opspin (http://www.flickr.com/people/opspin/), on Flickr

Shaun.P
May 3, 2011, 01:10 PM

GO SJ SHARKS!

My local donor office emailed me last week saying it was time, this was my 9th donation and next time I'll get a price (some sort of pin I think) :cool:

Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/opspin/5683521480/)
Donating blood (http://www.flickr.com/photos/opspin/5683521480/) by Opspin (http://www.flickr.com/people/opspin/), on Flickr

Thanks guys - your donations have been added to the honour roll!

erzeszut
May 3, 2011, 02:06 PM
Donated a pint of whole blood today!! The Red Cross here in Birmingham is having a MAJOR blood drive this week. After the devastating tornadoes in Alabama last week, local emergency rooms were swamped with patients and blood supplies dropped quickly.

I'm a long time donor, been donating for nearly 20 years now. But this was my first donation in about 14 months. I was "deferred" from donating for a year after a cruise in March 2010. One of the stops (Roatan, Honduras) is a "malaria-prone area" and put me on the deferred list for a year!!

Felt good to be back in the chair again!!!

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files2/58020/medium/bD7Ce.jpg

Shaun.P
May 3, 2011, 02:08 PM
Donated a pint of whole blood today!! The Red Cross here in Birmingham is having a MAJOR blood drive this week. After the devastating tornadoes in Alabama last week, local emergency rooms were swamped with patients and blood supplies dropped quickly.

I'm a long time donor, been donating for nearly 20 years now. But this was my first donation in about 14 months. I was "deferred" from donating for a year after a cruise in March 2010. One of the stops (Roatan, Honduras) is a "malaria-prone area" and put me on the deferred list for a year!!

Felt good to be back in the chair again!!!

Image (http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files2/58020/medium/bD7Ce.jpg)

Congratulations and well done! Do you know how many pints of blood you've donated over the years?

I've added you onto our honour roll!

macbook yes
May 3, 2011, 02:24 PM
There's a blood drive next week at my university. I'll try to make it but I am working all 3 days they are doing it, and it always seems to take several hours of waiting.

A few months ago I donated with the red cross for the first time. I think I prefer blood source. Red cross seemed like the were sick of being at their jobs, not grateful that we were giving blood.

MrMac'n'Cheese
May 3, 2011, 02:39 PM
I have low iron, so I don't know if they shall let me, sometimes they say I need to raise my iron before donating.....

iXtina
May 3, 2011, 05:43 PM
I gave whole blood May 1st! This is my 5th unit! feel free to delete the picture if you feel its too much :D (sorry haha) I keep track of my donations and donate as often as possible!
I am also a new user on MacRumors!

dmk1974
May 3, 2011, 08:08 PM

GO SJ SHARKS!

Very cool...do you know what apheresis instrument you donated on?

drewsof07
May 3, 2011, 08:24 PM
I gave a unit of whole blood on April 28. I am type O negative, the "Universal donor" so they want me bad. :)
I almost always give double red cells, but there were 2 people ahead of me for the single machine and I had a meeting 45 minutes later :o

Being the rare type I am, and watching my mother suffer and nearly die from a clotting disorder, blood donation is something very dear to me. Thank you to everyone who donates, it may be you or a loved one who needs blood one day. :)

mickbab
May 4, 2011, 04:18 AM
I gave whole blood today!
My unit of A positive blood seemed to come through fairly quickly this time round, probably due to the huge amounts of water I drank since I felt a little funny last time I donated. :)

The high schools in my area (I'm in Year 12) have a competition in conjunction with the Red Cross called the Vampire Shield, and the school with the most donations wins the shield. Conveniently enough my school was running a blood drive at the same time as MacRumors!

I hope that my blood can be of some use to a person who needs it, and would encourage others to get involved in donating blood. You never know when it might be you who needs it.

jamieb63
May 4, 2011, 08:47 PM
What a wonderful idea......only a very small percentage of the eligible population donates blood -- and we need it replenished EVERYDAY!!

There are numerous United BLood Services blood centers around the country - please visit us or your local community blood center!

Thanks to everyone willing to be our HEROS!

jamieb63
May 4, 2011, 08:50 PM

if you're in the USA and don't have any other deferring underlying conditions, diabetes is not a problem for a donation.....

erzeszut
May 5, 2011, 12:20 PM
Congratulations and well done! Do you know how many pints of blood you've donated over the years?

I've added you onto our honour roll!

I don't. I was a "double galloneer" before I moved away from Florida and that was in 1996. :)

I suspect it's 10+ gallons at this point.

G4-power
May 5, 2011, 01:20 PM
Today, May 5th, I donated one unit (450 ml) of whole blood at the Finnish Red Cross Blood Service center in my hometown, Kokkola.
This was my 11th donation.

I've been over 18 (which is the age limit here) for some 3,5 years now, so it makes about 3 donations per year. Could be more! Well, I'll keep them coming! There's a "hall of fame" on a wall at the local donation center. Everyone with over 100 donations gets their picture on the wall. There's a nice goal to reach. :)

Shaun.P
May 6, 2011, 01:38 PM
Today, May 5th, I donated one unit (450 ml) of whole blood at the Finnish Red Cross Blood Service center in my hometown, Kokkola.
This was my 11th donation.

I've been over 18 (which is the age limit here) for some 3,5 years now, so it makes about 3 donations per year. Could be more! Well, I'll keep them coming! There's a "hall of fame" on a wall at the local donation center. Everyone with over 100 donations gets their picture on the wall. There's a nice goal to reach. :)

Congratulations! I've added you to the honour roll!

iwbyte
May 6, 2011, 02:07 PM
Just finished up my latest triple unit (i.e. 3 units) platelets donation. Its nice that they have wifi here so I can surf and bleed on command at the same time.

They say that i'm a fast bleeder, which means I'm only here for 2 hours - great time to catch up on blogs and facebook and of course MacRumors.com!

iomar
May 7, 2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks Macrumors, I donated Blood!

silexh
May 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
Donated half a liter of blood today, second time =D

My phone battery ran out, so here's a picture of the result ;)

They ran out of normal food, so they could only supply me with loads of cookies :rolleyes:

Shaun.P
May 11, 2011, 10:16 AM
Donated half a liter of blood today, second time =D

My phone battery ran out, so here's a picture of the result ;)

They ran out of normal food, so they could only supply me with loads of cookies :rolleyes:

That's the spirit!

Thank you for donating - I have added you to our honour roll.

I myself have still to donate - I am pretty busy just now but plan to donate during the last week in May!

Any people on the fence, wanting to donate but not sure of how to go about it?

spillproof
May 12, 2011, 12:01 AM
My parents and I donated Wednesday! I'm in the black band. I think this was my 14th time donating whole blood.

I'm O- so I get calls every 2 months begging for me to donate. I wish I could do it more often.

tooz
May 13, 2011, 07:18 AM
As I was saying to Doctor Q - Made my 3rd donation:D but it was april 27th:(

Can I encourage everyone to donate! the nurses are nice, and the needle isn't painful at all! plus you're saving lives!

keep up the good work!

Jeff Meredith
May 13, 2011, 10:25 AM
Had my regular blood donation today. Glad it was May and Friday the 13th. I am up to 23 pints at current location. Next one is 3 gallons. Thanks for the blood drive, MacRumors. :)

Monkeyfoahead
May 13, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hey, So this is my first post on these forums. I'm what you would call a "forum lurker" and I finally pulled the trigger and registered :P. I donated blood at a city near my college on yesterday!!! :)

eawmp1
May 13, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hey, So this is my first post on these forums. I'm what you would call a "forum lurker" and I finally pulled the trigger and registered :P. I donated blood at a city near my college on yesterday!!! :)

Congrats! 2 excellent decisions (donating, and posting) in as many days.

Shaun.P
May 13, 2011, 01:13 PM
My parents and I donated Wednesday! I'm in the black band. I think this was my 14th time donating whole blood.

I'm O- so I get calls every 2 months begging for me to donate. I wish I could do it more often.

As I was saying to Doctor Q - Made my 3rd donation:D but it was april 27th:(

Can I encourage everyone to donate! the nurses are nice, and the needle isn't painful at all! plus you're saving lives!

keep up the good work!

Had my regular blood donation today. Glad it was May and Friday the 13th. I am up to 23 pints at current location. Next one is 3 gallons. Thanks for the blood drive, MacRumors. :)

Thanks Macrumors, I donated Blood!

Well done guys! You've gotten into the spirit and your support during the blood drive is greatly appreciated!

The honour roll has been updated with your donations!

laurenr
May 13, 2011, 01:30 PM
I was just checking one of the links posted for guidelines to donating. Can someone tell me, if you know, why a person needs to weigh 110 lbs in order to donate blood? I am perfectly healthy in every way, but being only 5'2" tall, I weigh a few pounds less than their specified minimal weight limit. Seems they would cut out a huge section of possible donors with this rule.:(

Doctor Q
May 13, 2011, 01:52 PM
I was just checking one of the links posted for guidelines to donating. Can someone tell me, if you know, why a person needs to weigh 110 lbs in order to donate blood? I am perfectly healthy in every way, but being only 5'2" tall, I weigh a few pounds less than their specified minimal weight limit. Seems they would cut out a huge section of possible donors with this rule.:(
It's for your safety, to make sure they don't take too much blood volume out of you.

The amount of blood in a person depends on how big their body is. If people weigh less or are short they have less blood. If they weigh more or are tall they have more blood. If they take a pint of blood out of Kirstie Alley it's a smaller percentage of blood volume than if they take a pint out of a supermodel.

That's also why some large people are able to donate more than one unit at a time, while small people can't. In theory they could take proportionally less and less for people who have small bodies, but it's not worth the expense and trouble to take less than a pint, so that produces an absolute minimum body size.

eawmp1
May 13, 2011, 01:52 PM

Short people got no reason.

A unit of blood, the smaller you are, constituteS a larger percentage of your total circulating volume. It's a safety cutoff to limit side effects in donors.

Jeff Meredith
May 13, 2011, 02:01 PM

Thanks for moving this to the right place:p

DoubleVision19
May 16, 2011, 01:39 AM
Didn't know that this thread existed. Just to let you know that I've been a blood donor ever since 1992. My last donation was 2weeks ago.

dmr727
May 16, 2011, 01:23 PM
Great job everyone! It's good to see everyone doing this. :)

stridemat
May 16, 2011, 01:39 PM
Great job everyone! It's good to see everyone doing this. :)

Are you eligible for blood donation?

dmr727
May 16, 2011, 01:44 PM
Are you eligible for blood donation?

Normally yes, but donation forces me away from my job for 72 hours. I just started a new gig, and while in training I'm required to have some flexibility in my schedule that three days away won't allow. I'll donate as soon as I'm done with training!

shaynes
May 17, 2011, 03:31 PM
Just got done giving 1 unit here in LA. I used to donate regularly but had gotten out of the habit for a few years. Thanks to MacRumors for reminding me that I should start again!

VulchR
May 18, 2011, 04:39 AM
I can't donate because I have a blood disorder :( - but I used to (loved the cookies and juice afterward).

It is great news to see so many people volunteering to do this! :)

spillproof
May 24, 2011, 03:18 AM
One more week in May! We're doing good but we can always use more! :)

Shaun.P
May 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
One more week in May! We're doing good but we can always use more! :)

I'm donating tomorrow - hopefully with one of my friends.

I'll be sure to post here.

If anyone else is debating whether to donate blood try to donate in the next week!!!

Shaun.P
May 25, 2011, 09:00 AM
I donated one pint of blood today!

Quite a quick experience this time around. I got seen straight away and got my iron levels tested. This involves you getting your finger pricked with the top of a needle in order to test some droplets of blood. My iron reading came back as 163. A minimum of 135 is required to donate.

After that I was asked what arm I would like to use - I have no preference so said I didn't mind. I was then taken to a bed in order to donate. About 8 minutes later I was done.

This was my 9th donation.

jbachandouris
May 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
I donated yesterday May 24th. Sorry, bandage is already off.

I donate 4 times a year. In NY they have a program called Champions for Life.

Doctor Q
May 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
Good for you, jbachandouris (and Shaun.P and shaynes and everyone else who's reported donating here).

I hadn't previously heard of Champions for Life (http://www.redcrossblood.org/forms/cfl) but it was easy enough to find the web page. It says you're in an "exclusive club" but we hope it will be as un-exclusive as possible!

Hmmm... They send you a pin if you join the club. Don't they think they use enough sharp points on people already? :p

skinuca
May 25, 2011, 04:45 PM
3 units of platelets given and a nice piece of coffee cake consumed at Stanford's blood center. Cool idea to have the drive. I had been to busy the last few months to go, but the post reminded me. Was 5th donation this year. I make it again on monday.

Oh yeah, love this site. Read it often over the years, but nearly never post. :rolleyes:

iwbyte
May 27, 2011, 12:11 PM
2nd donation this drive. Another 3 units platelets donation. also get bonus points at redcrossracing.com for donating over the holiday weekend. they now let you exchange points for bestbuy reward certificates too.

FutureBlake
May 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
Add one more pint to the tally! And they gave me a neat blood drop lapel pen (along with Lorna Doones and Gatorade) for my efforts.

Almost forgot to mention - it was whole blood. "A Positive" - any score higher than A+? :)

Shaun.P
May 27, 2011, 01:37 PM
Just got done giving 1 unit here in LA. I used to donate regularly but had gotten out of the habit for a few years. Thanks to MacRumors for reminding me that I should start again!

I donated yesterday May 24th. Sorry, bandage is already off.

3 units of platelets given and a nice piece of coffee cake consumed at Stanford's blood center. Cool idea to have the drive. I had been to busy the last few months to go, but the post reminded me. Was 5th donation this year. I make it again on monday.

Oh yeah, love this site. Read it often over the years, but nearly never post. :rolleyes:

2nd donation this drive. Another 3 units platelets donation. also get bonus points at redcrossracing.com for donating over the holiday weekend. they now let you exchange points for bestbuy reward certificates too.

Add one more pint to the tally! And they gave me a neat blood drop lapel pen (along with Lorna Doones and Gatorade) for my efforts.

Almost forgot to mention - it was whole blood. "A Positive" - any score higher than A+? :)

Well done! The honour roll has been updated with your details!

We are now approaching the final days of the blood drive - with donations being tallied up until Tuesday. If you're thinking about donating, please do so before Tuesday! Remember, you can donate either blood, red blood cells, platelets or plasma!

Doctor Q
Jun 1, 2011, 09:47 AM
The MacRumors 2011 Blood Drive has ended but we hope you'll continue to donate blood and platelets. Results of the blood drive and a list of donors are posted here.

Final tally:Blood: 28 donations, 32 units

Platelets: 7 donations, 15 units

Plasma: 1 donation, 2 units

Totals: 33 donors, 34 donations, 49 units

Shaun.P
Jun 1, 2011, 12:35 PM
The MacRumors 2011 Blood Drive has ended but we hope you'll continue to donate blood and platelets. Results of the blood drive and a list of donors are posted here.

Final tally:Blood: 30 donations, 32 units

Platelets: 7 donations, 15 units

Plasma: 1 donation, 2 units

Totals: 35 donors, 36 donations, 49 units

I would like to personally thank everyone who participated! Congratulations and well done!

I would also like to thank Doctor Q for helping to make the blood drive become a reality for the second time running.

Thanks everyone!

hulugu
Jun 9, 2011, 01:20 AM
I donated again, but forgot to post. Dr. Q's PM reminded me.

Cheers to everyone who donated.

soco
Jun 27, 2011, 03:09 PM
So I just looked up drives in my area, and the closest ones are over 100 miles away.

(Price is Right failure sound)

Doctor Q
Jun 27, 2011, 09:04 PM
So I just looked up drives in my area, and the closest ones are over 100 miles away.

(Price is Right failure sound)
They need to invent blood donation by mail. :cool:

Or even better blood donation over the Internet. :cool::cool:

drewsof07
Aug 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
They need to invent blood donation by mail. :cool:

Or even better blood donation over the Internet. :cool::cool:

OR synthetic blood!
If cars can run on synthetic oil, why can't we do the same? lol

Doctor Q
Aug 26, 2011, 02:20 PM
OR synthetic blood!
If cars can run on synthetic oil, why can't we do the same? lol
They're actually testing such things. It's easy to give people fluid, but mimicking the way blood carries oxygen is a challenge. There are a few trials of substitute blood, made from cow hemoglobin, in progress. I hope they don't make cows sit in those donor chairs all day long! Or at least that they give them cookies and juice when they are done. ;)

drewsof07
Aug 26, 2011, 02:39 PM
They're actually testing such things. It's easy to give people fluid, but mimicking the way blood carries oxygen is a challenge. There are a few trials of substitute blood, made from cow hemoglobin, in progress. I hope they don't make cows sit in those donor chairs all day long! Or at least that they give them cookies and juice when they are done. ;)

That is interesting, I know for years they harvested insulin from horses until people began developing allergies. We have enough trouble with people having blood reactions, not sure how successful that would be :o

stridemat
Sep 8, 2011, 12:40 PM
Just an FYI for next year!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14824310

The lifetime ban on blood donations by homosexual and bisexual men will be lifted in England, Scotland and Wales.

TheBritishBloke
Dec 8, 2011, 03:37 PM
Better late than never to try, although it went horribly wrong.

Literally just after she put the needle in I felt really light headed (didn't look, just felt a light sting). Then it got worse so they stopped the donation and I ended up passing out :(

I'm going back at the end of December to try again though :)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/21/photo4fk.jpg

lilcosco08
Dec 8, 2011, 04:49 PM
Better late than never to try, although it went horribly wrong.

Literally just after she put the needle in I felt really light headed (didn't look, just felt a light sting). Then it got worse so they stopped the donation and I ended up passing out :(

I'm going back at the end of December to try again though :)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/21/photo4fk.jpg

A+ for effort!

Doctor Q
Dec 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
Fewer people end to donate blood during the holidays because they are busy with their families. But accidents and illness don't pause for the holidays, so the need for donated blood continues. If there's a donor center open near you this weekend or on Monday and you have the day off, consider using the time to save some lives!

verwon
Dec 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
I used to, but can't anymore.

Doctor Q
Feb 4, 2012, 11:24 PM
Here's a handy iOS app: Blood-Type Judgment (http://appshopper.com/utilities/blood-type-judgment) tells you about your personality traits based on your blood type.

Macman45
Feb 4, 2012, 11:30 PM
This is a great cause, sadly due to the medication (pain relief) I take, the blood bank will no longer take my blood.

It appears that using it could render the potential recipient with some unexpected side effects.

I take MST. in a fairly high dose (no pun intended )

iJohnHenry
Feb 5, 2012, 09:08 AM
This is a great cause, sadly due to the medication (pain relief) I take, the blood bank will no longer take my blood.

Not even for platelets or packed cells??

I guess it's too difficult to work with?

Macman45
Feb 5, 2012, 09:20 AM
Not even for platelets or packed cells??

I guess it's too difficult to work with?

The ordinary guy's who travel around with a semi here in the UK said that they would not consider me, MST could render the would be recipient with respiratory issues. I had a card, but the MST dosage has been gradually increased as is the way with the stuff, so they wouldn't take it now for sure.