Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are Apple's "Smart Covers" worth it?

• Yes, totally worth it!

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Yes, but not quite at this price.

Votes: 42 44.2%
  • No, they look ugly.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • No, they don't offer compelling functionality (i.e. they don't protect the back).

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • "Smart Covers", what are those?

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
During the iPad 2 announcement Apple introduced "Smart covers" almost as a standalone product; and I have to admit, they kind-of stole the show... that is until they mentioned... the prices. So, I have been thinking, are Apple's "Smart Covers" worth it? Especially at that price??

Also, what do you guys think of their design (quality of materials, color choices, etc..) and utility (effectively being able to protect the device, magnetic alignment, etc..) and how Apple can possibly improve them.

I, personally, wouldn't get one for more than $20 ($30 for leather.) Otherwise I like the design and general functionality of it.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Leaves too much room for scratches on the back--would worry me constantly with all the commuting I do.

denny14

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
Returned mine

I had one for about 10 days and returned it. Not enough protection, too expensive (had the red leather one), kind of awkward to use.

Looking for a case like the apple branded iPad 1 case.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I think smart covers are expensive for what they are. With that said, I really like mine.

The reason there are all sorts of different iPad cases is because everyone uses their differently. I am not a fan of folio style cases, i've tried several and just never got used to them. I prefer something light, but grippy on the back, and the smart cover is a nice companion accessory that covers the front and acts as a portable stand.

As for back protection, several of us have been discussing this for awhile now. Smart cover compatible cases are slowly making their way to the market. I have created a list of the ones we are aware of so far, and if you do a search you should be able to find a thread or two about the specific case (i.e. Enki, Belkin, Incipio Smart Feather, etc.).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1139927/

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
You left off the most important reason they stink from your poll...the stand positions are horrible and very unstable. Wish I had returned mine in time for a refund, but stuck with it. Black leather.

JessicaR

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
I need to add an asterisk to my no. I don't think the Apple Smart Cover is worth it. However, I do think the idea of the wake sleep function is worth it. I like the idea of the case that auto wakes and sleeps the iPad is totally worth it. For example: C.E.O. Hybrid iPad 2 Case is absolutely worth the $50 price tag.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You left off the most important reason they stink from your poll...the stand positions are horrible and very unstable. Wish I had returned mine in time for a refund, but stuck with it. Black leather.

good point. although i did think of it. i just wanted the poll to be as concise and straightforward as possible.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

I have no problem with my stand positions...:confused:

LDTaylor85

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
I've spend about 50 bucks on cases on eBay and none of them left me feeling satisfied. I went to Target this past Friday and got the blue smart cover and I love it, I should have just tried it out on the first place.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
I have no problem with my stand positions...:confused:

Top heavy and will topple easy in the "viewing" position, worthless if trying to prop while on your lap etc...

I didn't realize it til I tried others like targus360 and switch easy canvas...

Sure, if you set it on a table and no chance of touching or moving it your fine, but otherwise it's less than sturdy.

I tried to like it, I really did :D

Want another one cheap? Lol

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
But even if you like the form factor I personally feel they are overpriced for what you may find in third party options.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
But even if you like the form factor I personally feel they are overpriced for what you may find in third party options.

who makes a cover like the smartcover? Link please....I think they are overpriced too but most apple stuff is....and the ability on a whim for people to return it because they don't like it or it does not match their eyes is pretty strong...try returning another item like that - it's all in the whole presentation you are paying for...

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
who makes a cover like the smartcover? Link please....i think they are overpriced too but most apple stuff is....and the ability on a whim for people to return it because they don't like it or it does not match their eyes is pretty strong...try returning another item like that - it's all in the whole presentation you are paying for...

+1

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

see, my problem with the whole price thing is that Apple may set a[n annoying] trend which will convince the 3rd party manufacturers to make more expensive cases with less functionality.

Or maybe I'm just too paranoid ;)

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
see, my problem with the whole price thing is that Apple may set a[n annoying] trend which will convince the 3rd party manufacturers to make more expensive cases with less functionality.

Or maybe I'm just too paranoid ;)

I disagree, if anything case manufactures will try to under cut Apple.

I love my Smart Cover. Gives just the right amount of screen protection with minimal bulk. As for protection of the back, I leave that up to iCarbons.

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
Each to his own. I had my Smart Cover and an Ebay TPU back for a week. I love the look of that combination.

However, I found the Smart Cover to be very unstable and really awkward to use.

I returned it today and am over the moon with my Maroo case which is a true keeper.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I love my Smart Cover. Gives just the right amount of screen protection with minimal bulk. As for protection of the back, I leave that up to iCarbons.

X2 - black smartcover with black or white icarbon is minimal bulk and everyone that sees it comments on it's look..

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA

who makes a cover like the smartcover? Link please....I think they are overpriced too but most apple stuff is....and the ability on a whim for people to return it because they don't like it or it does not match their eyes is pretty strong...try returning another item like that - it's all in the whole presentation you are paying for...

Sorry, I didn't mean JUST like the smart cover, but rather options with the same front cover function and form like this, they stand and fold the same etc...
http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=387

Last edited:

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Definitely not worth $40, I only bought one because I had a $20 gift card at best buy. Tried it out and still feel the same way, it should be no more than $20 MAXIMUM. Would I buy it if it was at full retail price? Probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.