Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Hey guys,

please help me drop this stupid mentality. I love my air but i keep buying a 13' pro to try it out. I left the pro originally (the original pro that came out 2 years ago) because of the HEAVY weight, which sucked cause i carried it to school, and how hot it would get in bed. But than i got the air and i loved it. the portability is just mind blowing. It doesn't even get hot at all. But the thing that irks me is that the air runs a older processor. I know you guys are gonna tell me to just wait and get the refreshed air but i can't afford to do that. the decision i make is the laptop im going to keep for a long time.

the stupid part is, i dont even do cpu intensive stuff. i just write emails, browse, research, but i find myself wanting the i5. i won't notice the everyday speed, and some programs even open slower than the air, but something keeps nagging at me saying the i5 is better, its newer. coupled with the fact that the core 2 duo is a 4+ year old processor, i get more annoyed. I keep playing (don't laugh!!) these hypothetical games where i say "WHAT IF i do use photoshop in the future" or "WHAT IF i do begin to make movies"

the core 2 duo is MORE than sufficient for me. its extremely snappy when coupled with the SSD but a side of me wants an i5. its weird, theres NOTHING on the pro that i prefer over the air, except the processor yet i can't make a decision.

help guys? :(

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The CPU the current Airs use did not come out 4 years ago. They came out less than seven months ago. Its just using the older Core2Duo framework. The C2D framework is still very capable and is much better the the CoreDuo or Pentium 4 framework.

bevahunter

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
Turtle, I have the same problem. Thanks Intell, I needed to hear that as well..... any word on when the next MBA is coming out? Also, if I buy one in the next few weeks, what is the chance I will get a free Lion update in the next few months?

Christina1971

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
I've never really understood these particular threads (no offense, OP) because I don't know how we can get inside your head if you can't get inside your own. :)

All I can tell you is that I had a 2006 Macbook and was looking to replace it, and I THOUGHT what I wanted was a 15-inch Macbook Pro. But then when I really considered what I use a computer for, I realized 13 inches was better. And then when I t thought about how much I've bitched about the weight of my briefcase, the Air seemed the obvious choice.

I bought one and I haven't looked back. It's the right choice for the real me, not for some hypothetical "me" who has some hypothetical need for a super high-powered machine. I haven't noticed any difficulty with the Air handling the extremely light Photoshop Elements work that I do on rare occasions. I doubt that it's going to be a problem for me to stitch together a Youtube video or whatever I want to do with movies in the future -- but in my many years of Mac ownership, if I haven't started making movies yet, I doubt I'm going to turn into Steven Spielberg all of a sudden.

It's a lot of money, so I would suggest that if you have deep misgivings, don't buy anything. Just wait until the answer becomes clear to you.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have a 4 year old MBP. It's the low end 2.16 model. I could have gotten a 2.33ghz model. Right now, the difference between a 2.16ghz model and a 2.33ghz model is negligible. I didn't need the extra power when I purchased the computer, and now that the computer is so old, any programs that I use that would need a faster computer would need more than the 2.33ghz model would have given me.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
The CPU the current Airs use did not come out 4 years ago. They came out less than seven months ago. Its just using the older Core2Duo framework. The C2D framework is still very capable and is much better the the CoreDuo or Pentium 4 framework.

Ugh, what?

SL9600 2.13Ghz launched Q1'09.
REF: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37262&processor=SL9600&spec-codes=SLGEQ

SL9400 1.86Ghz launched Q3'08.
REF: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36689&processor=SL9400&spec-codes=SLB66,SLGAB,SLGHD

SU9400 1.4Ghz launched Q3'08
REF: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36697&processor=SU9400&spec-codes=SLB5V,SLGAK,SLGS5

SU9600 1.6Ghz launched Q1'09
REF: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37264&processor=SU9600&spec-codes=SLGEX,SLGFN

I'm not saying the C2D isn't still a viable (tho aging) processor choice (especially 'cause it's the last Intel processor that'll fit in a MBA and can be paired with a Nvidia chip), but they are 2+ year old chips. Not 7 months old.

PhilMac

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
England
I think you may either have OCD, low self esteem or just not enough going on in your life.

By the way, this is my first post and I'm not trying to be provocative just helpful. I've read many threads similar to this so I decided to post. Your problem is not the machine, it's you or rather the thought processes you're going through.

It's likely you're not only like this about Macbooks so could probably do well to address this problem now as it will likely help you elsewhere too.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
Simple, youre just s Spec OCD, it doesn't sound as bad as it sound, but

you buy a laptop because you need to, not because you just WANT it, or becayse of the specs

sure, newer technology means a longer term, a better performance, and better overall experience, true

but what if, you buy the refreshed MBA, then in another 6 months, the new "XXX" chip ( which is guaranteed to happen ) is releasing? will you regret, because it's using core whatever that is newer than your refreshed MBA?

you love your air, that's what it matters, look, i am still using a 2007 MBP, it's core2duo Santa Rosa Gen, and an old 8600 GT, i still play EvE like damn well and above 40fps, Photoshop, still run awesome, i didnt notice any lag whatsoever, i play around with Premier Pro, no problem, multi tasking are still fine

and it's heavy as hell, the MBP that is, and i have been seriously thinking of getting an Air too, case for me is, i haven't purchase one, so i can wait for the refresh, because obviously, it's a better option for me

but, in your case, you own an Air, and you want an upgrade to the i5 for something that you dont know what you will use it for

i was once like you, i was a Spec Whore, trust me, when i bought my MBP, 3 months later, the new MBP was out, i was raged, but i learn over time, it's useless to have something that you just want, but you dont actually use it

if i could give an advice, keep your Air for as long as you can, when you feel it's time to change, then buy whatever the line available at that time

just my $0.02

otherwise, if this makes you hard to sleep, and get your life miserable knowing that you just want the i5, then, sell your current Air, and get the new one, it's all you ;)

do whatever it is to make you happy, because that is what matters the most

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
For what it's worth, you'll be 100% totally fine using Photoshop and Final Cut on these machines. seriously, it's not bad at all. I use an 8-core Mac Pro for my heavyweight photo and video work and my 11" MBA is just as sufficient for mobile work. 13" is more than capable with 4GB of RAM.

anthro

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Software should become more and more resource-efficient and the value of improving the already fast processors is diminishing. Most of those Sandy Bridge chips are just overkill. I'd rather invest in less overkill areas like better memory (SSD), higher screen resolution, etc.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I think you may either have OCD, low self esteem or just not enough going on in your life.

By the way, this is my first post and I'm not trying to be provocative just helpful. I've read many threads similar to this so I decided to post. Your problem is not the machine, it's you or rather the thought processes you're going through.

It's likely you're not only like this about Macbooks so could probably do well to address this problem now as it will likely help you elsewhere too.

yikes. thats a bit mean isn't it? Just looking for the best bang for the buck. didn't know that was a self esteem problem...

but anyways, thank you guys for your responses. they really helped. i know im not the only one whos having trouble with this. the low res screen on the pro does irritate me though.

ah, what to do what to do :p

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Just looking for the best bang for the buck.
Do you really find the day-to-day performance of the Pro to be as snappy as the Air?

IMO, your posts are hung up on the processor (which you've admitted isn't a bottleneck for you), but you haven't really said much about the benefits from the SSD, which factored into the price of the Air vs the Pro really adds a lot of bang for the buck.

I switched from a 15" i7 MBP to an Air and for virtually everything I do on a daily basis, the Air seems way more snappy and responsive. Even a Pro app like Aperture (which used to beach-ball all day long on the i7 MBP when I'd browse the library because the 7200 RPM drive couldn't keep up with loading the photos and applying the edits as I cursored through an event) is smooth as silk on the Air because of its SSD.

IMO, unless you're comparing the price of an MBP+SSD to the price of the Air, it's really not a fair comparison (unless you really don't notice a difference in performance).

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Buy the Air of course. It's what you really want.

You don't want low screen resolution, a much heavier computer, and you're not going to use the added power the 13" MBP offers, it's a no brainer isn't it?

Otherwise picture yourself with your new 13" MBP ... you'll notice the screen resolution sucks right away, you'll be disappointed in the added weight as soon as you realize you're not using the added power it offers.

Within a week or less you'll miss your Air like crazy and regret buying the 13" MBP.

By the way I've had them all, 13, 15 and 17" MBP's ... the Air is my favorite by far.

Lateraleye

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
It's a disease I've been battling since I started buying computers for myself.

I think it might finally be in remission now. I was waiting for the refresh before buying an Air, but through a family member's business I had the chance to get an ultimate 13" for $1400 new right now. That discount made me take a step back and seriously evaluate why I was waiting and the pros and cons. Specs-wise, the MBP I'm using now is fine. What I need is the portability, speed of SSD, and lower fan noise of the Air. I discovered that for the minor things I do, numbers don't matter. Practical things do.

I suggest you do the same thing. Take a step back, evaluate your needs, and decide from there. Don't get distracted by the shiny numbers if your current raw performance is fine.

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
Very clear thinking here. Well stated.

I've never really understood these particular threads (no offense, OP) because I don't know how we can get inside your head if you can't get inside your own. :)

All I can tell you is that I had a 2006 Macbook and was looking to replace it, and I THOUGHT what I wanted was a 15-inch Macbook Pro. But then when I really considered what I use a computer for, I realized 13 inches was better. And then when I t thought about how much I've bitched about the weight of my briefcase, the Air seemed the obvious choice.

I bought one and I haven't looked back. It's the right choice for the real me, not for some hypothetical "me" who has some hypothetical need for a super high-powered machine. I haven't noticed any difficulty with the Air handling the extremely light Photoshop Elements work that I do on rare occasions. I doubt that it's going to be a problem for me to stitch together a Youtube video or whatever I want to do with movies in the future -- but in my many years of Mac ownership, if I haven't started making movies yet, I doubt I'm going to turn into Steven Spielberg all of a sudden.

It's a lot of money, so I would suggest that if you have deep misgivings, don't buy anything. Just wait until the answer becomes clear to you.

PhilMac

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
England
I wasn't being mean, just trying to be helpful. You may not have low self-esteem, it was only one of the options :)

Lateral Eye and Twe Foju had some good perspectives.

'i know im not the only one whos having trouble with this'

I know you're not, I see lots of these type of threads. I'm not going to be a regular poster on this forum as I can't see the point and I've seen people with the clearest points of view be misunderstood or flamed for no reason and I really don't need to be part of that. I'm not saying that's what is happening here but it would happen if I contributed regularly, I bet it happens to most people.

All I would say is life is short, way too short to worry about the things you are agonising over. In a year you'll probably look back and wonder why you agonised over it, that's if you remember it at all. There will be new things to agonise over then, some will be important but most won't be. Best to try and work out which are the important decisions and try and get those right.

Go to the store and buy something and be happy or don't. They're all great products and we're only talking degrees of excellence anyway so it's a win-win situation.

Use one and then be concerned about the work you do with it and important things. Anyone worrying about what computer they have, what engine their car has, how big their house is, which restaurants they go may not be happy deep down.

I know it's not a popular view these days but we aren't the sum of the brands and products we buy.

I know what I've said will probably be ignored, ridiculed or whatever but well I've said it. Take it or leave it.

I've been reading the site for a while but only joined today to post here. That was my contribution and now I'll go back to reading, all the best whatever you buy - you can't really lose as it'll be a Mac.
:)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
the core 2 duo is MORE than sufficient for me. its extremely snappy when coupled with the SSD

I think you've answered your own question.

Don't get yourself into these hypothetical situations: what IF I do this... what IF I do that... just get a computer that will do what you need it to do and enjoy it.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Here's my advice: Budget to spend an amount that you feel comfortable with so that basically you buy new stuff every year. Budget $ 3000-4000 per year and you do not have to worry about future proofing, because you are never far behind.

Plus your family members, used market ...whatever get the benefit of the very new used stuff. :) Give in to the addiction buy it all. New iPhone, iPad, Notebook every year, heck add a desktop too ( thats a little overkill for me...my iMac is like 3 yrs old)

ZiggyZidel

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Don't want to steal your thread OP but I am also having the same issue as you. Currently own a 2008 white macbook (penryn). I am looking into getting a new laptop before I start university in the fall and have had my mind set on a 13' macbook pro but the air has really caught my eye. I MAINLY use my laptop for browsing and watching videos on firefox, itunes, ichat, microsoft office, ical etc... with the occasional use of photoshop. I will be studying computer science which may require me to run windows in which case I would need enough power for boot camp which sucks :(... really wish I could get an air! Which would be great for my needs, right? (If I got the ultimare 13')

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I don't know why wanting a more powerful machine is such a bad thing.

Sure, you don't want to overbuy, but that is fairly impossible. The better the CPU, GPU, RAM and HD, the more you can use the machine for.

I think matching the form and function is the first step, and then buying the best that you can afford in that category is a great approach.

To me, the perfect portable is the base 13" MBP with an SSD. The one pound difference is negligible and I needed the extra ports and the lighted keyboard.

Maybe I am in the minority (seeing that this is the Air forum), but you should not be ashamed of wanting a more powerful machine.

R

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
To me, the perfect portable is the base 13" MBP with an SSD. The one pound difference is negligible and I needed the extra ports and the lighted keyboard

I hope you realise that the Macbook Air does not currently have a backlit keyboard on any size.

Feature was removed for this revision.

Unless you're referencing one you already bought from the previous generation... Then carry on :p

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I hope you realise that the Macbook Air does not currently have a backlit keyboard on any size.

Feature was removed for this revision.

Unless you're referencing one you already bought from the previous generation... Then carry on :p

He said MBP not MBA. In which case I completely disagree, the "one pound difference" between an MBA and an MBP is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.