Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
When it comes to security, the most reliable security is on a PC.

5680724572_ab0f11237a_o.jpg

Last edited:

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
wikileaks was due to internal security breach (possibly Bradley Manning). but i get what you're saying.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I know .... just poking fun.

Besides, Apple would never be considered a supplier as expensive as they are.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
WRONG.

1. White House has Macs.
2. Obama uses iPad in oval office.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/5680710466/in/photostream
3. Obama uses Mac in White House.

...What's your point?

Also, this thread doesn't make much sense. It's likely that those PCs are just running some custom software. Obviously the government isn't going to waste their time following Apple's application writing guidelines. Those machines probably aren't even running Windows.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Like in business, PCs are the favorite platform. Its not being a fanboy, but just the plain truth. Sure white house could have some macs (I have no way to validate that claim) but the reality of it is that PCs are the platform of choice

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
My father works as a UNIX system administrator for a certain british bank. The amount of security programs and layers that are applied onto his works laptop (that runs XP) seems untrue. I imagine that the American government would use even more (or at least more powerful) security programs.

These programs you simply cannot get for OS X. Or at least the one my old man has to deal with aren't available.

(Not to mention that Windows PC's are cheaper. I'd have something to say if my government's work machines were state of the art macs just for passing around confidential info and interfacing with mainframes, etc).

ehoui

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
...What's your point?

Also, this thread doesn't make much sense. It's likely that those PCs are just running some custom software. Obviously the government isn't going to waste their time following Apple's application writing guidelines. Those machines probably aren't even running Windows.

Cut the BS, you know it has nothing to do with that reason. The simple answer is that the government has existing significant investments in PCs and PC software. It's not more complicated than that. As a Mac user, unless there is a great ROI, I would not want the government switching platforms and invalidating their existing investments, which would be a waste of tax payer money. iPads may be in the future, though...

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
...What's your point?

Yeah, they are probably using some custom White House Command Line OS.

akaralias

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Security? Yeah, right...

Let's just say Windows is a fortress... with defenses boomed up by the builder and with 3rd party missionaries, able to withstand an assault by one million army with all the conquer machinery etc.etc. & some nuclear hits!

Mac OS X is a castle able to defend itself from 1,2 or 3 of hundred soldiers and machines(without the 3rd party missionaries, who by the way few are available for hiring).

Now windows is being under siege by 2-3 millions of army all the time, while OS is being attacked once in a while by a couple of cavalries and some riffles!

Where would you feel safer?

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
...What's your point?

What are you talking about? There are no requirements for writing Mac apps and the IoS Enterprise developers program started about 6 months after the App Store. (http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/) It is truly amazing how many people with no knowledge about a subject are willing to speak as an authority...

Anyone notice the ethernet cables? A wifi system would be a security risk.

True and wifi would not work real well down there anyway.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Let's just say Windows is a fortress... with defenses boomed up by the builder and with 3rd party missionaries, able to withstand an assault by one million army with all the conquer machinery etc.etc. & some nuclear hits!

Mac OS X is a castle able to defend itself from 1,2 or 3 of hundred soldiers and machines(without the 3rd party missionaries, who by the way few are available for hiring).

Now windows is being under siege by 2-3 millions of army all the time, while OS is being attacked once in a while by a couple of cavalries and some riffles!

Where would you feel safer?

You clearly have no clue what you are on about.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
What are you talking about? There are no requirements for writing Mac apps and the IoS Enterprise developers program started about 6 months after the App Store. (http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/) It is truly amazing how many people with no knowledge about a subject are willing to speak as an authority...

I was talking about the application user interface guidelines. Sure they don't have to follow them, but it makes writing an OS X application pretty hard if you completely ignore them them.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Top Secret Codeword

Zoom in really close to Hillary's binder. See the "Top Secret Codeword" right there on the cover? I think we know where the problem lies.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.