Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Hey guys, I was wondering if the current screen protectors for the black iPhone 4 will work on the new white one? As you may know, there's a noticeable, new proximity sensor on the white iPhone 4 that isn't on the black, so are today's screen protectors compatible with it? Or do they need a new cutout for the proximity sensor now? :confused:

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
They have the same style proximity sensor (the pill shape). It's just not noticeable on the black because the sensor is also black. It's more noticeable in direct sunlight.

alukado

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
They have the same style proximity sensor (the pill shape). It's just not noticeable on the black because the sensor is also black. It's more noticeable in direct sunlight.

I agree. They didn't change the style of proximity sensor just for saving money ?

arliu

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
If you have a screen protector on the white iphone 4, the sensor wont work. When youre on a call the screen light will stay on.

applefanatic32

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
California
If this was true...

Don't you think it would be a little more of a big deal among iPhone 4 users? As mentioned above, the screen protectors made for the Black iPhone 4 are completely compatible with the white iPhone 4!

Looks like someone was attempting to make a quick buck by promoting "White iPhone 4 screen protectors"! Congrats on your new White device :)

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Don't you think it would be a little more of a big deal among iPhone 4 users? As mentioned above, the screen protectors made for the Black iPhone 4 are completely compatible with the white iPhone 4!

Looks like someone was attempting to make a quick buck by promoting "White iPhone 4 screen protectors"! Congrats on your new White device :)

LOL! I don't have the white iPhone 4... yet. I want to trade with my friend whose contract ends May 10 and I was just wondering ;)

Bfriedli

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011

There are issues with the screen protectors and the white iPhone. My white iPhone works fine with the screen protector. My wife's on the other hand had sensor issues. Unless screen protector was removed. Verizon went through 4 screen protectors and finally the 5th worked. Until I got home and remixes it wasnt on straight tried to adjust it and it stopped working again. Don't know if its the screen protectors or a major design flaw in the white iPhone. Going back tomorrow for the to go through another 2 packs of screen protectors to get it on straight and working. If there are special white iPhone screen protectors verizon doesn't have them.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Absolutely not true.

Actually it is true (maybe not all the time). And even the lady at AT&T said so the other day but I forgot all about it until mine wasn't working and I was searching the issue and came across this.

In any event, why is this? It really sucks that my sensor isn't working just because I have a screen protector. I have the id America Dryice case with the included screen protector and it makes the phone look flawless. But I'm highly irritated with this issue. Are we going to get it a fix or is it a "don't use a screen protector then" type thing? Thanks.

-Dale

treeoflife

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Actually it is true (maybe not all the time). And even the lady at AT&T said so the other day but I forgot all about it until mine wasn't working and I was searching the issue and came across this.

In any event, why is this? It really sucks that my sensor isn't working just because I have a screen protector. I have the id America Dryice case with the included screen protector and it makes the phone look flawless. But I'm highly irritated with this issue. Are we going to get it a fix or is it a "don't use a screen protector then" type thing? Thanks.

-Dale

Could anyone clarify this issue? I'm buying my dad a white iphone next week and I would like to get him a screen film as well. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.