Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam12345-2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Sussex, UK
So there's one program i need to run but its windows native.
It's literally only a data input program but its been coded with the kind of work I do in mind.

Anyway, after hearing how stable and easy to use/install windows is on a Mac with the assistants of boot camp I thought I'd give it a shot.
How wrong I could be... Or maybe its just me?

I partitioned using boot camp and went through the steps, inserted my XP disc and finished the installation off. On reboot it prompted to press any key to boot from disc, however none of the keys seemed to do work.
At some point i was hoping to be prompted to put the Mac disc in, but never was.... So my only option was to restart holding the option key. I managed to get into OSX once, but now the option key doesn't do anything and I just bet a black screen with a flashing cursor.

Any ideas???

EDIT: I've managed to get back into OSX (My keyboard was paired to my iphone.... oops) So it's just a matter of getting Windows to actually boot now!

EDIT: I

Last edited:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Are you using the Bluetooth keyboard? That won't work with Windows XP setup. You'll need to have a wired one hooked up until after the Bootcamp drivers are installed. If you only need one program, though, you might be better off with Parallels or VMWare Fusion so that you can continue doing tasks on the Mac OS at the same time.

sam12345-2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Sussex, UK
Are you using the Bluetooth keyboard? That won't work with Windows XP setup. You'll need to have a wired one hooked up until after the Bootcamp drivers are installed. If you only need one program, though, you might be better off with Parallels or VMWare Fusion so that you can continue doing tasks on the Mac OS at the same time.

Parallels or Fusion it doesn't seem worth it price wise for me, not just for the one program anyway.
I have a pretty high spec Windows laptop that is used solely for this program, but it seems such a waste, and its hassle having to start that every time I need to update the data base.

Now my keyboards working again lol (it is a bluetooth one), I have the option of booting windows on start up but its the same black screen as before. I must have done something wrong, but i'm struggling to find what! It can't be the keyboard at this stage can it?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Hmm not sure about the booting problem since it gets that far. There's another virtualization program called VirtualBox that's open-source and maintained by Sun/Oracle. Here is the link. It's free. Works the same way as the others, except it's not as integrated.

sam12345-2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Sussex, UK
Is there any way I could delete the windows partition and have another shot at installing it?
And is it best to download the support software, instead of relying on the disc?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Is there any way I could delete the windows partition and have another shot at installing it?
And is it best to download the support software, instead of relying on the disc?

Reopen Boot Camp Assistant and it has the option to restore your drive. I think that you have to install from the disk first (to prove that you own it), but then run Apple Software Update from the Windows side to upgrade to the latest version.

sam12345-2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Sussex, UK
Okay, so I've restored the drive to one partition, but now when i try to download the window support software I get an error message telling me "the support software is not available".

Surely it's not usually this difficult?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Okay, so I've restored the drive to one partition, but now when i try to download the window support software I get an error message telling me "the support software is not available".

Surely it's not usually this difficult?

Oh - that's been a bug that's been around since they allowed for direct download. For some reason it simply doesn't work. You have to use the software located on your Snow Leopard disk. (Or disk 1 of the grey disks you got with your computer). You do this from the Windows side after you install XP. Note that the most recent models do not support XP because the component manufacturers didn't release drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.