Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Ok, so I have been playing around with different applications and methods of importing my DVD library, then Decoding them to use on ATV1 and ATV2 as well as iTunes in general. I have a few questions for those who had to import their DVD's and wanted to keep the entire DVD with all the menu's and featurettes.

1) I want to import the entire DVD, then Decode it while on my HDD for use with Both versions of ATV? What is the best application and settings for this?

2) I want to covert all of the imported DVD's but keep the original in case I have to RIP them to DVD's again. Example: My son had the Movie Taxi, it has a mark, I can not import this or make a copy anymore so I am looking to be able to Recreate this DVD after I import this to my HDD and before it is decoded to use on ATV1 or 2.

What applications is everyone using to import an entire DVD, and what applications are you using to decode for itunes.

I currently use Handbrake and Mac the Ripper, but not sure which is best for each of my questions.

Thanks

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The ATV2 will play videos encoded for ATV1 but not the other way around.
Handbrake is easily the most popular encoder for iOS devices.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ripping is the process of copying copy-protected material from a DVD or CD onto an HDD and circumventing the copy-protection.
Transcoding (or sometimes called "converting or encoding") is the process of changing the format/container and codec of the embedded material from one format/container to another format/container and from one codec to another codec.
Mac The Ripper rips video DVDs, Handbrake transcodes ripped video DVD to any preset you use and can also transcode from a video DVD directly, if you have VLC Player installed.
If you ripped the video DVDs and want to burn them (not rip) to other DVDs, keep the VIDEO_TS folders at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.