PDA

View Full Version : CoulVue for Ipad2

Reisen
May 3, 2011, 01:10 PM
Was supposed to start shipping this week, right?

Given how expensive it is, I'm holding off until I start seeing some reviews. Anyone pre-order or receive theirs yet?

I know there is a poster from the company on MR...

codygibbs
May 3, 2011, 01:29 PM
Was supposed to start shipping this week, right?

Given how expensive it is, I'm holding off until I start seeing some reviews. Anyone pre-order or receive theirs yet?

I know there is a poster from the company on MR...

And here I am!

Pre-orders are shipping on Wednesday of this week. I work for TouCoul so obviously I'm not the right person to give an objective review :), but for what it's worth it really is an outstanding product and you won't find anything as flexible and durable on the market.

Once we get our shipping up to next day, we will post it for sale on Amazon. Also, we're expecting a few reviews from editors and other publications to come through this week so keep an eye out.

browerjs
May 6, 2011, 06:09 PM
I pre-ordered the CoulVue for iPad 2 the first day possible, and I was very excited to receive it. Well I received it today, and unfortunately I don't think it's going to meet my needs.

First off, it won't install in my Buick Rendezvous (which is my main vehicle) as the posts on the headrest are too far a part, but that's just the beginning of the problems

I went ahead and installed it successfully in my Chevy Trailblazer, to see if it was worth keeping as I may be getting a new vehicle in place of the Rendezvous soon.

I purchased the CoulVue so I could extend it out so my two kids could watch movies in the back seat. But it doesn't extend nearly far enough, in fact it's almost pointless. See the picture:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/575/img2024l.jpg

It wouldn't be much better then having the 2nd kid watching on a mount that is flush to the first seat, considering the coulvue isn't flush.

They could have easily manufactured this thing so you could have gotten another 3-4 inches in the middle of the vehicle if all the hinges would swivel. Here is a picture of the CoulVue fully extended out. The problem with it is that in this configuration the iPad would be facing up. If you could just swivel it down, it would make a big difference.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9986/img2026ym.jpg

Finally it is very difficult to get the iPad into the CoulVue, and even more difficult to get it out. While the tight fit is good, so it won't fall out while driving, there needs to be some sort of release mechanism so that you can easily get the iPad out of the CoulVue. I don't see any way that my wife could get it out, and I don't think I would be able to get it out while in the front passenger seat. Who knows, my wife or I may want to use the iPad after the kids finished watching a movie.

Bottom line, this product is not ready for Prime Time, especially if you need it to entertain multiple children in the back seat. You are better off saving the 80 bucks, and putting it towards another iPad, so each kid could have one mounted on their seat.

I had really high hopes for this product, and am extremely disappointed. Hopefully the return process won't be too much of a hassle.

techdude75
May 6, 2011, 10:49 PM
Got this for CoulVue tonight...and mine broke about 5 minutes thereafter....

It has recently come to our attention that there is a small percentage of CoulVue orders that have gone out in the past week that were deemed defective. This means that there is a very small likelihood that your CoulVue has arrived or will arrive with this known issue.

We have taken corrective measures with our manufacturing and assembly to ensure that no future units will experience this defect.

Upon receiving your CoulVue, remove the CoulVue and test each joint to ensure that it works properly. Please see our installation video if you need help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je68YHP5XXU

If you notice any of the joints opening, or any apparent failure of your unit, your unit likely is defective. Please reply to this email with a picture of your broken unit, and we will send you a replacement free of charge within 2-3 weeks. While our preference is to send an immediate replacement, we want to take the time to make sure your next unit is completely void of any defect whatsoever. Please discard your defective CoulVue and do not attempt to use it.

We'd like to thank you for being one of our first customers and for your patience as we work to make sure every product we send meets our quality standards.

codygibbs
May 9, 2011, 12:11 PM
*UPDATE*

Apart from handling the requests above in separate thread, I'm happy to report that we have made significant improvements to the strength of the joints and the overall unit since this thread began, and that none of the updated units are experiencing this problem. Also, we have added a layer of soft coating to units to prevent any scratching or marks on the iPad.

To demonstrate the toughness of CoulVue, we have started putting together videos and will continue to post more of these over the coming weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ89ykSwrEE