Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
lost angeles
hi folks,

just visited the apple store yesterday. i almost impulsively charged a pb 15"
:eek:
ive calmed down, i still want it, but then the question came...

"does anyone know or think that a G5 pb is on the horizon? or any other
upgrade worth waiting for?"

using a pc, itching for a mac....soon

thanks

madrobby

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
Daham
The PowerBooks were just updated a month ago, so if you want one, get one by all means...

A G5 PowerBook could arrive in June at WWDC. But then again, maybe not... :)

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Nobody knows. The PB's were recently updated, and I wouldn't expect another update for a little while. That being said, they are only a step ahead of the iBooks, and they need an update soon. I would wait until the next major update, maybe in the next couple of months, unless you really need it right now.

Daniel

EDIT Wow, that was quick. Three responses within a minute of each other.

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
edesignuk said:
...and *if* they do, you can bet on at least another 3 months before ANYONE actually get their hands on one :rolleyes:

And *if* that even happens, another 4 months to RevB, which is the first time anyone will actually get their hands on one that works.

Buy it. The PowerBook's were just updated.

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
maxvamp said:
Wait until the presentation in the beginning of June. If nothing comes of it, buy a new PB then.

This is what I plan on doing,

Max.

Right, because the day they are announced in June, you'll have one on your doorstep. Oh, wait.

If having a first-revision G5 PowerBook is really important to you and you can wait six months (three more months until an ENTIRELY SPECULATIVE date of announcement, another 2-3 months until they actually ship assuming that date is correct), then sure, wait until June. But if you want a really good machine that you will be more than happy with and want it now, buy now.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
I think now was the perfect time to buy a powerbook. They were recently upgraded, and you get the best of the iteration. The current G4 powerbooks should be a solid investment for a few years, especially for a portable. I'm on a 1st Gen Aluminum 15" and it is great even after almost 2 years. I think the current Rev D (or C?) 15" are going to be great portables for a while.

Just my .02 in the fray

Jim

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
There will always be a new PB on the horizon.

Buy now if you need it. They are great machines and were just updated.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
hedge your bets

if i were shopping for a powerbook right now, with a g5 version almost certain to come within the year (ie. announced by june 2006) (ok, maybe a little more than a year!), i'd look for a refurb or used model of the last edition. i'm using an 867 tibook that i bought refurbished for cheap from apple: it's in excellent condition, it rocks for most purposes on osx and it's an excellent tide-over until rev B g5's hit the street.

of course, if you're one of those people who needs the newest and "bestest" gear, go ahead and spend hundreds more for a new model that's really not going to be worth it, speedwise, versus saving the dough and buying a little bit older version. i bet you could pick up a 15" 1.25g loaded up for a nice coin right about now; you'll lose less when you sell it to buy the g5 PB, too.

just a thought.

vixapphire

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
What does someone outside of the USA do to buy previous models? (new, not used). Apple has this on the USA website, but not on the Canadian one.

I bet I could get the previous 12" superdrive powerbook for about the price of the 14" superdrive iBook. What was the GPU/VRAM on the previous 12" PowerBook?

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
apple2991 said:
Right, because the day they are announced in June, you'll have one on your doorstep. Oh, wait.

If having a first-revision G5 PowerBook is really important to you and you can wait six months (three more months until an ENTIRELY SPECULATIVE date of announcement, another 2-3 months until they actually ship assuming that date is correct), then sure, wait until June. But if you want a really good machine that you will be more than happy with and want it now, buy now.

Buy it now! Why wait for the next release. If you keep waiting based on that theory you will never own a Mac and you will have lived a sad existence:) All kidding aside. They are great now and if you need one, get one.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
That was a little out of line....

Originally Posted by apple2991

<spitting inserted words out of mouth>

I never implied that it would be available the day after announcement. I was only saying that if the guy had a little time to burn ( like I do ) and wanted to avoid buyer's remorse, that he could look to see if there was an announcement in June.

If there is such an announcement, generally, you can save a little money on the old stock, and if you are hell bent on a G5 powerbook, then you **may** have the option of an order-and-wait.

Myself, I will have the money and need for a powerbook in June, so I will be ordering then, no matter what is available.

Max.

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
maxvamp said:
I never implied that it would be available the day after announcement. I was only saying that if the guy had a little time to burn ( like I do ) and wanted to avoid buyer's remorse, that he could look to see if there was an announcement in June.

I was illustrating that the statement "Just wait until June" can be a bit misleading. Yes, he could wait another three months, and there may or may not be an update in June. There are two possible conclusions to your implication that there may be an announcement in June:

1) That G5 Powerbooks will be announced. I showed in my previous post why this sentiment could be misconstrued, and I more fully realized what such an announcement would entail for a PowerBook-buying consumer. Three months until then, probably another couple months more until they ship, and potential problems (dead pixels, white spots on screen, over-heating, logic board issues) that have been known to happen sometimes in earlier revision Apple laptops in the past few years.

2) That there would be only a minor bump in the continuation of the G4 PowerBook line. Assuming this is true, he really wouldn't be that much better off than he is now. Also, if the potential announcement isn't a G5 PowerBook, what's the big deal about the June announcement? There will always be new upgrades, speed bumps, features added on. You could wait forever. The point is, there is absolutely no way of knowing. And the only PowerBook upgrade I can think of worthy of waiting three months for is a G5.

If there is such an announcement, generally, you can save a little money on the old stock, and if you are hell bent on a G5 powerbook, then you **may** have the option of an order-and-wait.

Hey, 808, wait another 3 or 4 months. You may save a *little* money. And if one needs to save money, I have no problem with this point, maxvamp. I just feel like you gave 808 some arbitrary advice on a buying decision without much (any?) reason or justification as to WHY one would wait until June, what might happen in June, and what that might entail for the PowerBook market. You basically just said, "Here's what I'm doing. That should be enough."

stump

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2003
Maine
808 said:
hi folks,

just visited the apple store yesterday. i almost impulsively charged a pb 15"
:eek:
ive calmed down, i still want it, but then the question came...

"does anyone know or think that a G5 pb is on the horizon? or any other
upgrade worth waiting for?"

Oh my, two years ago I was in the exact same position. Wanted to buy, but said whoa! wait until June, a new one might come out then. I waited, then I said, wait until January, I did, then summer came and enough already, I bought. After 20 plus years of the PC I went to the Mac. Never looked back since, my only regret is that I actually waited. The reality was something will always come along a little better and more attractive, the reality was also I lost a year of computing the way computing was meant to be. I lost a year of using a new wonderful computer, I lost a year of learning and improving my knowledge base. I guess if I need, want and can afford a new computer I think I would buy.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
I bought mine about a month ago. I figured I'd get at least six month work out of it before any mythical "next-gen" G5/dualcore/finds-that-slipper-that's-
been-at-large-under-the-chaise-lounge-for-several-weeks version is actually available to use. Then I sell mine on ebay for about $500 dollars less than I paid for it. I'm personally getting $3500 worth of use out of mine every month. So that's a pretty good return. And I'd probably not buy the very first iteration of the next big thing, so I'll get more like a year out of mine. Buy it and use it. You'll be happier than waiting to see what happens. What's going to happen will happen anyway and the entire time you'll have a superb laptop.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Quote from apple2991

"Here's what I'm doing. That should be enough."

What an asinine statement you again are trying to put in my mouth.

Actually, in a way, this statement is true and in a way has been made by **all** of us.

For some of us, waiting till June **is** good enough, as we would not like to risk having buyer's remorse. Others will do fine buying now, knowing that they need a machine right now, or by saying that the current selection is good enough. We all have our reasonings.

Everything in this thread is a suggestion, due to the fact that if any real knowledge of coming, unannounced products was posted here, MacRumors would immediately become a target of Apple.

The original question was:
"does anyone know or think that a G5 pb is on the horizon? or any other upgrade worth waiting for?"

The answer is... Nobody posting here knows. Many people here think ( i.e. have an opinion) about the current upgrades.

What I posted was a suggestion "wait about 12 weeks to see" which had the equal weight of everyone else's suggestion. If you don't like it, tough. It is only an opinion. Don't try to read too much into it and make it something it was not.

And for the record, not every REV A. product from Apple is a dud. If it is, then I am way over due for repair on two of my Rev A. Macs. This would due to the fact that they are still working flawlessly!!

Max - Just my OPINION

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
madrobby said:
The PowerBooks were just updated a month ago, so if you want one, get one by all means...

A G5 PowerBook could arrive in June at WWDC. But then again, maybe not... :)
I agree. Don't hold back if you want it. G5 PBs haven't even been leaked as forthcoming let alone annouced.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
A lot of people here have been holding out for a really, really long time. I think that's cool, I used to be one of them. If the Powerbook hadn't been refreshed I would still be waiting for sure.

My advice is to weigh your needs. I recently took the plunge... I went all out on a 17". It was actually a really easy decision... all the features were there that I wanted, including some that were just cool (and probably altogether unnecessary). I haven't received it yet but it will be an amazing machine that will last me years, hopefully.

Why would I need a G5? Better framerates in WoW? The G5s aren't even doing that much better. Ask yourself those questions. :)

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Yvan256 said:
What does someone outside of the USA do to buy previous models? (new, not used). Apple has this on the USA website, but not on the Canadian one.

I bet I could get the previous 12" superdrive powerbook for about the price of the 14" superdrive iBook. What was the GPU/VRAM on the previous 12" PowerBook?

I've used smalldog.com for refurb's before; just like getting them from apple directly. it's an excellent business with great prices.

and no, i don't work for smalldog.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
dferrara said:
Why would I need a G5? Better framerates in WoW? The G5s aren't even doing that much better. Ask yourself those questions. :)

how're you going to run a 64-bit operating system on a G4, incidentally?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.