PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 will not turn on & server question.

AWallen90
May 3, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hey guys,

I have a powermac g4 digital audio I believe, 700 mhz processor. I also have 2 powermac g3's I believe the fastest that created. 400 mhz or something like that. I have another g4 with the 350 processor that I can test the power control which with but it would be a pain because my grandparents are using it so it would take a while to get it unhooked/dug out, they use it as a paper holder behind a desk cords and everything are ran through the desk.

Here's my 3 questions:

1. The Powermac g4 when you push the power button it lights up but when you release it goes out. The logicboard does not respond. Should I buy a new power control module or is there a way to use the one from the g3, it looked different at first glance.

2. To run a home server is it better to run a g4 with the faster processor or a g3 with more ram, the g3 has 4 slots the g4 only 3.

3. Best way to use as a media server I was thinking put everything into itunes and use the homesharing, is that available in tiger? Is that the best way to do it?

It will be used with apple tv, macbook, powerbook, ibook, imac g5, xbox 360?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Here's the short version:

1. Which powermac to use as a server?
2. Best way to do media server?

MacForScience
May 6, 2011, 08:38 PM
Hey guys,

I have a powermac g4 digital audio I believe, 700 mhz processor. I also have 2 powermac g3's I believe the fastest that created. 400 mhz or something like that. I have another g4 with the 350 processor that I can test the power control which with but it would be a pain because my grandparents are using it so it would take a while to get it unhooked/dug out, they use it as a paper holder behind a desk cords and everything are ran through the desk.

Here's my 3 questions:

1. The Powermac g4 when you push the power button it lights up but when you release it goes out. The logicboard does not respond. Should I buy a new power control module or is there a way to use the one from the g3, it looked different at first glance.

2. To run a home server is it better to run a g4 with the faster processor or a g3 with more ram, the g3 has 4 slots the g4 only 3.

3. Best way to use as a media server I was thinking put everything into itunes and use the homesharing, is that available in tiger? Is that the best way to do it?

It will be used with apple tv, macbook, powerbook, ibook, imac g5, xbox 360?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Here's the short version:

1. Which powermac to use as a server?
2. Best way to do media server?

1.) The logic board is fried. (Don't buy a new one)

2.) Niether, you probably don't need a server and even if you do a G3 or G4 is simply to slow for the job. Buy yourself a bottom of the line Mac Mini with an external RAID 1 drive for your media server "needs". Also make sure you get 4GBs minimum on the RAM.

3.) Get 10.5/10.6 if you have intel and run something like Plex.

Cheers