Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocoloco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hello,

I'm new =)

I'm considering of buying macbook pro 15 i7, OR macbook pro 13 i5 + ipad2, since the price would be quite close.

I own two websites, running on apache server and I'm using Cpanel for managing it. Will I be able to run, check, edit,... my website on ipad?

thanks in advance,

Rok from Slovenia

romad7

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
I use an FTP app (FTP on the go) to work on my website so I can do basic editing of the files only. If you only need the MacBook Pro for the portability then I would say get both. But if it is a desktop replacement for primary website development then it might be better to get the best laptop that you can. For the most portable solution maybe a MacBook Air and iPad combo might work well.

Also, I could not find any web design apps but cPanel seems to work fine on my iPad.

rocoloco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
thank you romad7,

is that app available in all countries and how much does it cost?

I'm gonna be using ipad just for simple tasks in cpanel; horde email, simple coding like you said. so with that app this will work fine?

i'm really stuck between delicious decisions =)

romad7

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
The app is $10(USD), not sure about different countries, it is only in English if that means anything. I access cPanel for my provider through Safari on iPad. The app will only allow you to access the actual files on the server and edit the text (HTML, php, CSS, etc). So you won't get the more advanced functions of dedicated programs such as Dreamweaver.

If that sounds good then you could get an iPad for simple tasks and a MBP or MBA for your advanced editing. Plus, the iPad 2 is just so cool! I love being able to do so much on an ultra portable device and still have my MBP for the heavy lifting backup while on the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.