Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Did you know?
You can zoom windows and change their position to get a better look by scrolling on your magic mouse or trackpad? (And I'm guessing a regular mouse as well)
This works really great especially when you have multiple windows of one application behind each other.

Standard mission control opens to show this in this example.

ScreenShot2011-05-03at24302PM.png

But if you move our mouse over say Mail and scroll up, we get this. Scroll back down to undo.

ScreenShot2011-05-03at24408PM.png

Or in this case Chrome

ScreenShot2011-05-03at24355PM.png

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Show me a way to make Mission Control show my minimized windows and I'll be forever grateful.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Show me a way to make Mission Control show my minimized windows and I'll be forever grateful.

I don't know about Lion but you can see them in SL. Just 4 finger drag down to see all apps. Windows that aren't minimized are large up top. All minimized windows appear in a row above the dock. If you have 5 Safari windows and they are or are not minimized just click and hold on the Safari dock icon and it will do the same for just that app. If you minimize every window from every app you will then get them all in a row along the dock.

vsoriano13

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
I don't know about Lion but you can see them in SL. Just 4 finger drag down to see all apps. Windows that aren't minimized are large up top. All minimized windows appear in a row above the dock. If you have 5 Safari windows and they are or are not minimized just click and hold on the Safari dock icon and it will do the same for just that app. If you minimize every window from every app you will then get them all in a row along the dock.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Lion since he said 'Mission Control'. Anyway, I too am wondering if there's a way to see minimized windows.

sentience

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
To see minimized windows, you need to view all windows for a specific application. You can do this by:
  • Choosing 'Show All Windows' from the application’s Dock menu.
  • Three-finger swiping down (by default) on your trackpad.
  • Holding Control and hitting the Mission Control (née Exposé) key on your keyboard

Also further to the Pro Tip above, you can also expand an application’s windows in Mission Control by four-finger unpinching instead of scrolling.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Cool, almost as useful as Snow Leopard! In SL you don't even need to do anything to see all your windows, without them covering each other :D

You can also see all your windows, in all spaces, at once! No need to click through all your spaces one by one to track down a window as in Mission Control...

pvinis

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
I really hope apple or someone else finds a way to show minimized windows..

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Did you know?
You can zoom windows and change their position to get a better look by scrolling on your magic mouse or trackpad? (And I'm guessing a regular mouse as well)
This works really great especially when you have multiple windows of one application behind each other.

Standard mission control opens to show this in this example.

ScreenShot2011-05-03at24302PM.png

But if you move our mouse over say Mail and scroll up, we get this. Scroll back down to undo.

ScreenShot2011-05-03at24408PM.png

Or in this case Chrome

ScreenShot2011-05-03at24355PM.png

Where'd you get that wallpaper?

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
You can get it from nature folder for back ground settings

Looking now I think they took out the SL wallpapers in the GM. I don't see them anymore like I did in all of the DP's.

I'm sure you can find it online though.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Looking now I think they took out the SL wallpapers in the GM. I don't see them anymore like I did in all of the DP's.

I'm sure you can find it online though.

Thank you, but never mind, I mistakenly looked at the linen background and wanted that. I haven't seen one good copy of it (large enough) on the web.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Thank you, but never mind, I mistakenly looked at the linen background and wanted that. I haven't seen one good copy of it (large enough) on the web.

I remember seeing a 1440*900 render in /System somewhere, can't find it now. Anyway, the tiles can be found in /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources... or here =P

DKZ

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
The scrolling trick still doesn't un-overlap the windows of an application. Why??
Ya, I asked the same question. This is a nice and useful trick, but why doesn't it essentially invoke expose for the current app. With 4 or more Safari windows, you're going to have some almost completely obscured.

capoeira4u

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
Bangkok, Thailand

A lot of people have been complaining about this but I personally DON'T want to see what's minimized, because when I minimize something it means I don't want to be bothered by it. Previews of minimized app also takes up room and makes the preview of my opened windows smaller. Minimizing is an old habit we're used to to unclutter our desktop, but that's what Spaces is for. I'm pretty sure Apple wants you to utilize more full-screen apps and spaces, so instead of minimizing just launch Mission Control and drag the windows onto another space. But if you're really stuck on old habits of minimizing, the dock is still visible in Mission Control so you can see your minimized app right there.

On the other hand, my complaint is that the 'peek' function in Mission Control doesn't spread out your overlapped windows enough so you can clearly see it all. I wish there was a way to do App Expose directly from within Mission Control.

Miloh

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Control + Down arrow will do the expose /w minimized windows on the application you are currently using.

DJRumpy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Apple made a bad assumption here, that if you want to see minimized windows, you are probably in the app containing the minimized windows. A bad assumption in my case. Typically I minimize windows that I don't use often and don't want them cluttering my desktop. I would then use a gesture to pull up Mission Control, find the window(s) and bring them forward. Unfortunately, this doesn't work. for minimized windows. I have to drop down to find either an existing window (hoping I haven't minimized them all), and then switch to the App Mission Control, or if I have, fidget with the icon on the dock (what's the point of mission control in this case if I still have to fall back to the dock to find an app?). It's very disruptive. The old process worked perfectly, with minimized windows having a small bit of real-estate at the bottom of the screen for easy retrieval.

This is just clunky and very un-Apple.

capoeira4u

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
Bangkok, Thailand
Apple made a bad assumption here, that if you want to see minimized windows, you are probably in the app containing the minimized windows. A bad assumption in my case. Typically I minimize windows that I don't use often and don't want them cluttering my desktop. I would then use a gesture to pull up Mission Control, find the window(s) and bring them forward. Unfortunately, this doesn't work. for minimized windows. I have to drop down to find either an existing window (hoping I haven't minimized them all), and then switch to the App Mission Control, or if I have, fidget with the icon on the dock (what's the point of mission control in this case if I still have to fall back to the dock to find an app?). It's very disruptive. The old process worked perfectly, with minimized windows having a small bit of real-estate at the bottom of the screen for easy retrieval.

This is just clunky and very un-Apple.

My assumption that Apple named it Mission Control is because it's more focused on productivity. As you said, "I minimize windows that I don't use often and don't want them cluttering my desktop". So if it's minimized, then it's not adding to your productivity. That's why Apple also provides App Expose which will also show minimized windows.

Minimizing is a very old "Windows" habit that I had a hard time changing myself. The Apple's way is to use Spaces, which wasn't that good in SL, but is now a lot easier to use in Lion. Give it a try.

DJRumpy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
You do realize that the App Expose doesn't show finder windows? At this point, nothing does if they are minimized unless you do a gesture on the finder icon itself. Tedious.

I could care less about 'app' windows. Mission Control is broken for me if it doesn't show everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.