Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jferrier64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hey Everyone!

I wanted to give my iPod Touch 1g to my cousin. I was going to wipe it for him through the Settings > Reset All, but it kept telling me incorrect password. It was no big deal for me, so I just decided to restore it instead. In the middle of restoring it, my power went out and when I turned the iPod on, it went to the USB connecting to the iTunes sign. I then plugged it in, getting ready to restore it again but it kept telling me "Unknown Device" every time I plugged it in. So I then reset it, still didn't work. DFU mode won't work, but I was able to get it into recovery mode and tried to restore it. It gets to the Apple logo and the progress bar under it, but then the screen flashes and my computer tells me it's an Unknown Device again. I'm stuck and I've tried everything I've found on google and the apple support forums (which was no help at all). Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? He was really excited to get it and I had to tell him it was broken for the moment :(

Edit: I also want to add, I've tried doing this on 3 different computers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.