PDA

View Full Version : Better source for info on Picker View

KarlJay
May 4, 2011, 01:26 AM
I'm learning about the Picker View and was pretty disappointed that the book didn't go beyond basic stuff. I went thru several other books and online as well as the built in Apple help.

Not one had an example of putting a pic inside the Picker.
The book was a single column, no example of multi column, or custom widths or loading from array.

I still don't know if you make a separate array or multi dementional array, do pics get loaded from url or into array 1st, is there a refresh method if you wish to change the values from another object (say a button the changes the value of a pic or text inside the picker)

Basically I need MUCH more detail, eight book and not one goes into good detail.

Is there any book that REALLY gets under the hood and opens things up?
Of all the programming help/docs/books I read, it's pretty hard to imagine there's not a better book than these.

Amazon's preview thing is pretty worthless, can't get into the meat of the book, the 'contents' doesn't tell you enuff.

Thanks, KarlJay.

PhoneyDeveloper
May 4, 2011, 01:40 PM
I don't know offhand of any sources like you're asking for.

Have you read the UIPickerView class reference? There are several sample code projects listed there.

Your questions seem to be of two kinds: How do I make the pickerview do X? and what's a good way to implement the data model for a picker view? The first questions should be answered by the class reference. The picker view asks its datasource and delegate for information.

The data model is different and depends on what you want to display. Having an array for each component is an obvious way to implement this. If it's possible to calculate the value of a row you might not need a data model for it at all. This might be the case for a simple picker that showed numbers from, say, 0 to 99.

Shawnpk
May 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
Check out the book "Beginning iPhone 4 Development". It's from Apress books. There is a full chapter on pickers (Chapter 7). Sounds like what you are looking for is exactly what is in that chapter.

dejo
May 4, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'm learning about the Picker View and was pretty disappointed that the book didn't go beyond basic stuff. I went thru several other books and online as well as the built in Apple help
You talk about "the book". Which book? And who is the author? Also, what were the "other" books?

Not one had an example of putting a pic inside the Picker.
The book was a single column, no example of multi column, or custom widths or loading from array.
See the UICatalog sample app for demonstrations of how to, at least, use images.

Basically I need MUCH more detail, eight book and not one goes into good detail.

Is there any book that REALLY gets under the hood and opens things up?
Of all the programming help/docs/books I read, it's pretty hard to imagine there's not a better book than these.
Most books don't go into the kind of detail I think you seek. They give you the basics and then it's up to you and your cleverness to use those fundamentals to adapt things to your needs.

Amazon's preview thing is pretty worthless, can't get into the meat of the book, the 'contents' doesn't tell you enuff.
They'll give you sample pages from a chapter. Any more and they'd be giving away to real content and some would have no incentive to buy the book, would they?

KarlJay
May 4, 2011, 10:30 PM
Good point Dejo, here's the books:

Wrox: professional iphone and ipot touch programming, building apps for mobile safari

Obj C for Dummies

O'Reilly: Tapworthy

Payload Media: iOS4 essentials

O'Reilly: learning iPhone Programming

O'Reilly: iPhone App Dev, the missing manual

Addision Wesley: Programming in Obj C 2.0

Wiley: Obj C develop reference

Head First: iphone Development

As far as Amazon displaying more, several only show the 1st chapter, really after you have a few books it becomes more difficult to find a book that has something new in it that hasn't been covered by the other books.
I have no problem buying another book, I just don't want to buy a book that covers what I already have covered in other books.

I used to be able to browse the whole book and determine if it was going to be helpful before purchase, this doesn't seem to be the case with online books.

Books aren't expensive, but I don't want to have a bunch of books that mostly cover the same thing. Even in the past it was hard to find a good book that covered things in great detail so that you could really exploit things.

Looks like Amazon has one such book coming out about CoreAudio, I'm looking forward to that one :)

Thanks for the tip on UICatalog, I'll check it out.