PDA

View Full Version : Apps that require interaction with website

KarlJay
May 4, 2011, 02:45 AM
I read somewhere that Apple frowns on apps that require interaction with a website. Someone gave me an idea for an App that would require indirect interaction with a website. The website would be either contracted or developed by me.

The app would pretty close to useless without setting up an account on the website and logging in from time to time to (messaging, submissions, getting info from others, etc...)

How does Apple feel about apps that require (or nearly require) setting up an account on a website?

Also, anyone ever use Amazon as a website host? I heard they have some of the best deals going.

Thanks, KarlJay.

jnoxx
May 4, 2011, 02:52 AM
U can actually create an account from within your app, via a webservice to your back-end, and log in with that.
THe problem with apple is, if your app, is mostly just a single screen with an UIWebview, that does it all for you. There is a high chance they will reject it, because it's not usefull enough..

What apps mostly do, like "Nespresso", is create a tabbar, and provide some additional info, with objective C stuff.
Just saying what I heard, possible that changed!

ulbador
May 4, 2011, 08:43 AM
Depending on the website, this app would probably be denied.

Look at a site like Facebook. Because they are huge and practically everybody has an account there, they allowed that app through. At the same time, I created an app for users of my company's website. Because we are small time (relative to something like FB), my company's app was denied by Apple, due to not enough appeal to a wide enough user base. Part of this was also due to the fact that the app was practically useless without a user having an account on our website.

Noisemaker
May 9, 2011, 10:59 PM
Add me to the list.

Apple doesn't like much with web content anymore. :(

RodThePlod
May 10, 2011, 08:34 AM
Add me to the list.

Apple doesn't like much with web content anymore. :(

To be honest, if all the app does is acts as a portal to the website, then I can't say I blame them; Just use Safari in that case. Even better, customize your web front-end to play nice with mobile devices - its not that difficult to check to see if a mobile browser is accessing the website and then display more appropriately formatted pages. Obviously this may not be an option for the OP if he has no control over the site.

However, if you really want an app that displays web content then make it more than just a portal. Add value by, for example, using location awareness to display info from the website that is relevant to the user's location. There are lots of other options, but by adding extra functionality like this, you'll reduce the risk of your app being rejected.

Cheers,

RTP.