Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frostywinter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Hello...

I am currently using Outlook 2011 on my 2010 MBA 11" (pop account) - today I ordered a new 2011 iMac which will become my main work machine for email, but I will still need to use the MBA for emails when away from the office/travelling etc.

How can I use both machines and keep Outlook 2011 synced i.e. Inbox, sent items on both machines?

Tks

Frosty

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You need to stop using a POP account and switch to either IMAP or Exchange.

POP downloads emails from the inbox, while IMAP and Exchange will sync it.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
That depends on what your purchased. Office 2011 requires activation. You would need a 2 Pack in order to use on both computers. In the past you could install on one desktop and one laptop but that was discontinued in Office 2011.

I don't believe you can purchase another install once you purchase the 1 pack. The H&S version no longer comes with an email client so you can't use that to get around the requirements for installing on more than one computer.

An option would be to switch to IMAP and use your browser for viewing mail while you are traveling. If your provider doesn't offer IMAP you can setup Gmail as IMAP had have it forward your POP account so you will have access to those emails while traveling.

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC
I'd agree with the above. If you're not looking to buy another license, i'd recommend using a browser to read and reply to e-mails while on the road. And the advice about switching away from POP is good advice...

Frostywinter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Hi guys and tks for your comments and suggestions.

I dont mind buying another Office 2011 for the other Mac so no drama's there.

I have just checked with our UK service provider and they have just now enabled IMAP on our account :)

So all should be good now.. I will install Outlook 2011 on both mac and setup as IMAP...

Tks

Frosty

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.