Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peopleinatree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Lion still lacks Exposé for Safari tabs. This sucks because it only seems natural to 3-finger swipe down in fullscreen Safari to see all your tab windows (as you would in any other program). Instead you have to remember you have a tab open and move the cursor up to the top of the window to reveal them.

Am I crazy or does this seem like pretty low hanging fruit Apple should be on top of? :confused:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I had this feature in Chrome last month but it has vanished.

Stupid dev version. Was pretty handy though.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
That would be great indeed! There's a Safari extension that does that, but it's terrrrribly bad and it doesn't really work either. Safari extensions are all cr*p.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
That would be great indeed! There's a Safari extension that does that, but it's terrrrribly bad and it doesn't really work either. Safari extensions are all cr*p.

Many are crap. :)

But that's a great idea OP (even if it's not yours - I don't know). Apple should implement this in Safari and I think it will.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Lion still lacks Exposé for Safari tabs. This sucks because it only seems natural to 3-finger swipe down in fullscreen Safari to see all your tab windows (as you would in any other program). Instead you have to remember you have a tab open and move the cursor up to the top of the window to reveal them.

Am I crazy or does this seem like pretty low hanging fruit Apple should be on top of? :confused:

I feel you. Safaris full screen mode could be much better if we had an expose for all open tabs.

Mr. Milk

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Done

Hi everyone,

Well, I was also really disappointed to see Mission Control didn't deal with those Safari tabs. I did not find an extension the way I think it should be. Both Exposer and TabExpose are kind of slow, didn't work for multiple windows, no close button (like Chrome), etc.

So, although I know some of you think extensions are all crap, I made my own, trying to be as "crapless" as I could. I've written the code from scratch paying attention from performance to visual effects. Of course, if Apple can't satisfy everyone, let alone myself.

Since I'm in a Lion thread, I must say I have tested it with SL Safari (5.0) and Lion's (5.1). It works on both, but to me 5.1 is so buggy that I decided to stick with 5.0 (made a copy from SL and now I have both 5.0 and 5.1 on Lion).

As per my submission to Apple:
------------------------------------------
Name:
Tab Switchery

Download:
Use the attached file or http://www.anysoft.com.br/mrmilk/safariext/tabswitchery/TabSwitchery.safariextz

Short Description:
Navigate through Safari tabs and windows with mission control/exposé-like views. Shortcut key and toolbar icon let you instantly access all tabs for the current window (1st click) and grouped tabs for all open windows (2nd click). From there you can switch to or close any tab.

Long Description:
Navigate through Safari tabs and windows with mission control/exposé-like views. Shortcut key and toolbar icon let you instantly access: all tabs for the current window (1st click) and grouped tabs for all open windows (2nd click). From there you can switch to or close any tab.

- Exposé for all windows (exclusive!)
- Switch to or close any tab
- Auto-adjusting image size
- Customizable shortcut key
- Thumbnail creation on idle time
- Mac OS consistent visual effects
- Lion(10.7) compatible

Category:
Productivity

All tabs from the active window:
tabswitcherytabs425x275.png

All Safari windows with grouped tabs
tabswitcherywindows425x.png

---------------------------------

I have already submitted it to Apple, but since they will take some time to publish it, I decided to give it a go here.

I'd appreciate to hear from you.

Cheers,

Mr. Milk

P.S. for those who want the gesture, you can set up a shortcut key in TabSwitchery and use BetterTouchTool to bind a gesture to that key combination. I'm using 4 finger down..

Attachments

• TabSwitchery.safariextz.zip
    19.5 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Hi everyone,

Well, I was also really disappointed to see Mission Control didn't deal with those Safari tabs. I did not find an extension the way I think it should be. Both Exposer and TabExpose are kind of slow, didn't work for multiple windows, no close button (like Chrome), etc.

So, although I know some of you think extensions are all crap, I made my own, trying to be as "crapless" as I could. I've written the code from scratch paying attention from performance to visual effects. Of course, if Apple can't satisfy everyone, let alone myself.

Since I'm in a Lion thread, I must say I have tested it with SL Safari (5.0) and Lion's (5.1). It works on both, but to me 5.1 is so buggy that I decided to stick with 5.0 (made a copy from SL and now I have both 5.0 and 5.1 on Lion).

As per my submission to Apple:
------------------------------------------
Name:
Tab Switchery

Download:
Use the attached file or http://www.anysoft.com.br/mrmilk/safariext/tabswitchery.safariextz

Short Description:
Navigate through Safari tabs and windows with mission control/exposé-like views. Shortcut key and toolbar icon let you instantly access all tabs for the current window (1st click) and grouped tabs for all open windows (2nd click). From there you can switch to or close any tab.

Long Description:
Navigate through Safari tabs and windows with mission control/exposé-like views. Shortcut key and toolbar icon let you instantly access: all tabs for the current window (1st click) and grouped tabs for all open windows (2nd click). From there you can switch to or close any tab.

- Exposé for all windows (exclusive!)
- Switch to or close any tab
- Auto-adjusting image size
- Customizable shortcut key
- Thumbnail creation on idle time
- Mac OS consistent visual effects
- Lion(10.7) compatible

Category:
Productivity

All tabs from the active window:

All Safari windows with grouped tabs

---------------------------------

I have already submitted it to Apple, but since they will take some time to publish it, I decided to give it a go here.

I'd appreciate to hear from you.

Cheers,

Mr. Milk

P.S. for those who want the gesture, you can set up a shortcut key in TabSwitchery and use BetterTouchTool to bind a gesture to that key combination. I'm using 4 finger down..

In one word: Sexy!

Great work. I'll have a go with this on both 5.0 and 5.1. Cheers!

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Not working for me on 10.6.7 and Safari 5.0.5. All I get is a grey screen. Also when ever I hit the letter T it activates.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Chrome dev has it in the Mac version. Type about:flags in the omnibox, press enable on Tab overview, and relaunch. Done!

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Same here - just a grey screen tab with nothing on it :(

Same thing happens for me too. Thought maybe it was just a problem on my system, but obviously not. Hopefully Mr. Milk can get this fixed because it is a very much needed, and desired extension for Safari.

Wookbert

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014
Pleeeeeease!! TabSwitchery for Mavericks

With TabExposé and Exposer both being slow (and/or abandoned/no longer available for download) TabSwitchery is exactly what I've been looking for (I'm often browsing 60-80 tabs at once). I've tried TabSwitchery on another machine which still runs under 10.6.8 and it works like charm. On Mavericks however I only get a blank, grey screen.

So I beg you on my knees: Please bring TabSwitchery back to life!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.