Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
So I have finally moved to New York!

Now I need to find out what to do in terms of a phone though. Of course, I'd love to get an iPhone, but I can't see that happening whilst I don't have an american credit history and don't have a social security number yet.

With this in mind, I'm thinking maybe something on Boost Mobile or MetroPCS, but I'm not sure who to go with.

Also, I'm not sure, do I go with a Smartphone which may not be as good as my crappy UK Android Smartphone (which doesn't work with US 3G bands), a BB Curve or maybe a feature phone + iPod Touch?

Another thing could be an iPod Touch and a Mifi, but I'm not sure.

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Ok, next question - I have an unlocked phone I can't find any decent sim only deals. Did you read my first part of 'no contracts'?

Also lets add in another criteria - I have a budget of $200 for the phone

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
How about a Pay-As-You-Go (prepaid) plan? Usually those don't require contracts or credit checks. AT&T GoPhone, for example. I've heard of people activating iPhones on that service, though officially that's not allowed.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Ok, next question - I have an unlocked phone I can't find any decent sim only deals. Did you read my first part of 'no contracts'?

For month to month service, rather than the 1 year to 2 year contracts, you can select SIM Card only with both TMobile and AT&T. You can also do this with many small local GSM providers. However your you will only get 3G internet with AT&T as T-Mobile uses non standard frequencies (unless of course your phone is compatible with those frequencies). I don't know of any small GSM providers that offer 3G.

TMobile SIM
AT&T SIM

Both companies list these as no commitment. I use TMobile for my iPhone this way. Unfortunately it seems TMobile no longer offer the $10 unlimited web plan for EDGE only devices. If you don't need a data plan and want to save money go with TMobile as they will not force you into a data plan like AT&T may.

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Awesome, thank you! It'd be stupid for me to stop using my phone and lay down $200 when I have a device already...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Welcome to the US. :)
I would go with this for a little bit until you get yourself sorted out here.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phones/lg-optimus-v-phone.jsp

$25/mo for 300 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, Android 2.2. Not an iPhone, but Android isn't too bad and has a lot of apps. Virgin Mobile runs off Sprint's network so it's pretty good. Not bad for $25 with a nominal tax of $2-3.

Be careful with that T-Mobile link that velocityg4 posted. That 'free' SIM comes with a two year contract. T-Mobile is out of their mind if they think anyone is going to sign a 2 year contract for a SIM card.

It's important to know that you might not get 3G service and be limited to Edge speeds if you use your current device if using T-Mobile. I haven't found a better deal per month than Virgin Mobile so I would really recommend looking into that.

Last edited:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

First, welcome to America! :cool:

I didn't actually see anything in your first post about "no contracts," but if I may ask, why the aversion? Are you not staying here long enough to ride one out?

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Thanks! It's been a long wait so kind of odd (in a good way) that I'm here at last.

Well as I'm a newbie here, any credit history from the UK is pretty much wiped away. So it's not really my aversion to a contract, but phone companies aversions to me! My fiancée has a phone with Sprint, so another alternative is for her to get me a plan with her...

rickywarner

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Now day i am using Nokia N868mp. It is very nice phone. It provide eight mega pixel and with other good facility.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Welcome to the US. :)
I would go with this for a little bit until you get yourself sorted out here.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phones/lg-optimus-v-phone.jsp

$25/mo for 300 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, Android 2.2. Not an iPhone, but Android isn't too bad and has a lot of apps. Virgin Mobile runs off Sprint's network so it's pretty good. Not bad for $25 with a nominal tax of $2-3.

Be careful with that T-Mobile link that velocityg4 posted. That 'free' SIM comes with a two year contract. T-Mobile is out of their mind if they think anyone is going to sign a 2 year contract for a SIM card.

It's important to know that you might not get 3G service and be limited to Edge speeds if you use your current device if using T-Mobile. I haven't found a better deal per month than Virgin Mobile so I would really recommend looking into that.

I didn't notice that. Those sneaky bastards must have changed the system since I bought my sim cards a year ago.

Now you have to get a prepaid sim card for T-Mobile and select a month to month plan. They do not have an unlimited data option for this. It seems the AT&T buyout is causing massive rate increases and dirty tricks at T-Mobile:mad:.

It use to be that you chose month to month or 2 year agreement with a subsidized phone. The plan options were the same with a $10 a month premium on subsidized phones.

Here are the prepaid monthly plans.
https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.