Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
One of my 2010 MacBooks is starting to get cracks. Is this typical? It's only 8 months old and I thought these white unibody models were supposed to be better than the older 2007-2008 MacBook models.

Lid - At both corners of the hinge (maybe 3/4" to 1" long at each hinge). Not viewable when looking at the screen, but from the back side or when the lid is closed.

Body - A little below the track pad, I have a crescent shaped crack. Pretty much around one of the bottom plate screws, but about an inch long crescent crack.

Does Apple repair/replace these kinds of cracks for free at the Genius Bar? Just wanted to get some feedback if anyone else has experienced this as well before I take it in to the local Apple store. Thanks!

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The newer MBs 2009 & 2010 should not suffer the same cracking as the prior MacBooks. It will not hurt you to call the Apple Store or stop in. I know people who had similar cracks on the pre-unibody models had their plastics replaced for free.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my older 2008 white MacBook had the cracking on the edge of the palm rest and screen bezel (common for those years) and Apple was really nice in replacing them. This unibody design wouldn't appear to suffer from that same defect as the older design, but these are in different locations. Just concerned since it's only 8 months old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.