Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Born2Run

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Hove
I've got a MacBook Pro and have a 2tb WD External Drive connected via FireWire... I've tried to share it with my brothers Windows 7 (Home Premium) PC and after a bit of messing around I can get it to see the Mac and the external drive but it can't access any of the shared folders on that drive!

There's 2 folders on the drive ('Movies' and 'TV') when I try and access it in Windows it comes up saying 'Windows cannot access \\MAC\Movies ...etc...'

Any ideas?

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
I've got a MacBook Pro and have a 2tb WD External Drive connected via FireWire... I've tried to share it with my brothers Windows 7 (Home Premium) PC and after a bit of messing around I can get it to see the Mac and the external drive but it can't access any of the shared folders on that drive!

There's 2 folders on the drive ('Movies' and 'TV') when I try and access it in Windows it comes up saying 'Windows cannot access \\MAC\Movies ...etc...'

Any ideas?

You did not list what version of Mac OS you are running, but it's easy to fix no matter what. I take from what you said you are wanting to access a Mac formatted hard drive under Windows 7? If so, you most likely need a program such as "MacDrive". I use it all the time with Windows 7 Ultimate and it works perfect for access to all my Mac formatted drives rather internal or external.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.