Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have to say that normally I don't use beta versions as my main OS, but after a week of testing the OS on a spare disk, I was so impressed and decided to take the plunge and upgraded my main installation.

The upgrade took 5 minutes on my SSD!!! Everything works great so far, but of course I am still testing. I have a backup of my system before the update, just in case :)

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I did but sorta regret it ... it's not SO unstable that it's unusable, but some features such as no Rosetta and the few bugs that make it annoying to use, do make me regret upgrading. Thankfully updates are coming regularly so things are only improving, and I dual-boot into W7 whenever something needs to get done bug-free.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I did but sorta regret it ... it's not SO unstable that it's unusable, but some features such as no Rosetta and the few bugs that make it annoying to use, do make me regret upgrading. Thankfully updates are coming regularly so things are only improving, and I dual-boot into W7 whenever something needs to get done bug-free.

I am also having some issues, but up until now Lion has been very stable. Spotlight doesnt always find my apps, but I am giving it some more time...

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011

Using Windows to get things done bug free? How ironic. ;)

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
my answer is yes and no. I'll explain if this puzzles you.
Yes, I did make my Lion a major OS of use on my main machine.
No, I did not upgrade my Snow Leopard installation.

What I did was install it on a partition on a secondary drive in my tower, but I tend to use lion and the snow leopard partitions equally. I usually end up switching back and forth after a week or so of using each. both contain most of the same programs and bookmarks so I can easily do some work no matter which side i'm on, thankfully I haven't had too many issues with programs not working in lion. I did a clean install of lion DP1 and then wiped that and did a clean install of DP2 and have since just done the recommended updates. so yes, I did upgrade my main machine to lion, and no I don't use lion as my sole OS.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Using Windows to get things done bug free? How ironic. ;)

Lol, but let's be mature here, W7 is pretty flawless as on OS, especially for Micro$oft. It's less buggy than 10.7 DP2, and I didn't feel like triple-booting with 10.6 too, so I'll stick to W7 anytime 10.7 DP2 isn't quite reliable enough yet.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Has there been any word on if you will be able to upgrade directly to the full released version from the preview builds?

Whats the best way to backup the entire SL install so that if I wanted to go back I could just reinstall it without having to reinstall all the apps?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
No. I've moved up early before on previous betas like Snow Leopard... didn't turn out that well. Learned my lesson. Waiting until Final, then I'll deal with the bugs.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I've installed Lion on a separate partition on my hard drive and made it my startup disk. I still have Snow Leopard installed on the side, but haven't booted into it for a couple months.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i'm using it as my main OS now, had SL still installed but haven't booted it for months now so i recently got rid of it. all i'm missing is hotspot shield :-/

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Yes. On three systems. Worked fantastic with DP2 update 2, regret updating to DP2 update 3 as it has regressed horribly.

I reverted yesterday to Snow Leopard, as I had many issues with iTunes crashing all the time. I have a test installation where I will continue to run Lion till it gets stable enough for prime time and then I will my upgrade my main Mac to Lion.

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília
I did ( a sort of ) since the first release...But after the second preview and, particularly after the last update I came back to Snow Leopard. It is impossible to use Safari at this point. It crashes all the time when you're downloading something. Horrid! Waiting for better days now...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.