Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Just wondering other ppl's experience with Firefox 4 on the MBA, I still use 3.6.17 and it's been great except for the Flash/YouTube fan issue.
Does the upgrade fix the issue by any chance? Any reason why I should not upgrade?

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Nothing to do with the Air.... but Firefox 4.0 has a confirmed memory leak that will eventually choke your OS, unless you shut down FF frequently.

Not worth it IMO, until they get this fixed. There is also an issue with tabs and with startup remembering previous sessions.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Nothing to do with the Air.... but Firefox 4.0 has a confirmed memory leak that will eventually choke your OS, unless you shut down FF frequently.

Not worth it IMO, until they get this fixed. There is also an issue with tabs and with startup remembering previous sessions.

Haven't had either of those issues. Whatever problems there were they fixed it in 4.01

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
Just wondering other ppl's experience with Firefox 4 on the MBA, I still use 3.6.17 and it's been great except for the Flash/YouTube fan issue.
Does the upgrade fix the issue by any chance? Any reason why I should not upgrade?

What's the issue ?
with last couple of days being over 80F it held itself pretty impressive against it
(I have FlashBlock but run videos all the time. in 3.6.17)

letoast

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
I'm running 4.0.1 on my Mini, and find little compelling benefit to it above 3.6.x.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
thank you, I think I will wait...

As for the fan issue--when I watch a YouTube videos the fans go crazy, it's really the only time I use the Air that I ever hear the fans.

I know I'm not the only one who has this problem, as I've read on this forum about the issue but have not seen any fix for it yet.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
thank you, I think I will wait...

As for the fan issue--when I watch a YouTube videos the fans go crazy, it's really the only time I use the Air that I ever hear the fans.

I know I'm not the only one who has this problem, as I've read on this forum about the issue but have not seen any fix for it yet.

Sorry, there wont be any software fix for your fan issue.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I am using 4.0 had to upgrade because flash was freezing on me constantly with the earlier version.

4.0 is okay but why do they change arbitrary things that they don't need to? I am used to the refresh button on the left now it is on the right. What is the point?

Tabs are now on top instead of the bottom of the place you type in sites.

I also preferred the progress bar of the older FF where it was the blue line showing you how much had loaded.

These are no big deals as we all get used to changes with a few times using things but I don't know why they spend man hours on tweaks that same rather meaningless.

Using the new track pads Apple came up with in 08 was a bit difficult at first but now I am completely lost trying to remember how to use the old ones when my friends ask me for help. My friend has a power PC and I have to ask him to show me really basic stuff when he asks me for advice. LOL

Sorry I went off topic but I prefer FF 4.0 over all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.