Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbt15

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Hi All,

Strange issue with ATV. Never happened before.

My old modem/router died so i bought a new one. 2 iphones and ipad and a laptop all connect to the new modem better than ever. My AppleTV however just can not connect or even see the new modem at all.

I can't for the life of me figure out why. Both modems were on factory settings so unless there's something on the new modem blocking the ATV then i'm lost.

I thought maybe it was the wireless security level but even with no security at all it still can't see the network. Ethernet doesn't work either.

Old modem - Billion 7300GRA
New modem - Billion 7800N

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Wired and wireless both don't work? That's really peculiar. It's possible that the ATV2 was damaged in a power surge or something. Try an experiment - get a Mac using the wifi, and enable Internet Sharing. Plug the ATV2 into the iMac and see if it picks up a connection then.

hbt15

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Wired and wireless both don't work? That's really peculiar. It's possible that the ATV2 was damaged in a power surge or something. Try an experiment - get a Mac using the wifi, and enable Internet Sharing. Plug the ATV2 into the iMac and see if it picks up a connection then.

I briefly toyed with the idea of something like that but i was literally watching the ATV one minute, a show finished so i thought i'd swap over the modem to new one, i went back after to watch some more and it just would not find it. It was still sitting on the main ATV screen happilly waiting for my return.

Can't figure it out.

hbt15

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
I sounds like you left everything on while you transitioned the modem. Did you try powering off the ATV and then rebooting it. It could be as simple as an address conflict.

That was the first thing I tried unfortunately. I just plugged old modem back in and it won't recognize that anymore either. The fact that Ethernet doesn't work either suggests bigger problems. Bugger.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
That was the first thing I tried unfortunately. I just plugged old modem back in and it won't recognize that anymore either. The fact that Ethernet doesn't work either suggests bigger problems. Bugger.

Sorry, I went back and noticed that you never said if it's an old Apple TV or an ATV2. If it's a new one, it'll still be under the year warranty, so Apple will gladly swap it out at the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.