Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usingMacs1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
First post in the forum, long time reader.

Own a MacBook (late 2008) unibody and have had two things happen. The computer is lagging/getting slower and the battery is losing its health. About right for 25 months old. Anyway, found the Intel 320 series X25 160GB SSD online at a decent price and bought it. Used my time machine backup and installed the SSD in my laptop this morning. Took about 2 hours to do with around 120GB files total.

So far, it is at 120GB of its 160GB available and I may decide to lose some more files - we'll see. My original hard drive was 250MB but I partitioned it and used quite a bit for bootcamp. Anyway, 2 wonderful things have happened.

For the first time in 2 years, the battery indicator is showing 4hrs remaining - the SDD must truly draw less power and this thing is wickedly fast. The machine boots up in 25 seconds and any application I start - loads in less than 2-3 seconds. For example, MS Word 2011 - you see the little banner and bang the whole thing is on and loaded. Lovin it. Just added another year worth of life to this computer - very snappy. (did notice the S-ATA speed is 3GB and not 1.5GB as was the OEM hard drive)

My question for the forum - (taken from system profiler)
Why is capacity marked 209GB and my drive is only able to access 159GB? What is the extra for? Am I missing something? First time with SSD.
Thanks

Medium Type: Solid State
TRIM Support: No
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
--> Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1
Chris Internal HD:
--> Capacity: 159.7 GB (159,697,911,808 bytes)
Available: 45.67 GB (45,674,135,552 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It's separated into two partitions, one appears to be 209MB, rather than GB, which is pretty small. That's likely for the partition table, so there's nothing to worry about with the capacity, it's 160GB as advertized.

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It's separated into two partitions, one appears to be 209MB, rather than GB, which is pretty small. That's likely for the partition table, so there's nothing to worry about with the capacity, it's 160GB as advertized.

^

did you partition, clone, or do a fresh install with the SSD? most likely a table like alust said, in which case you are fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.