PDA

View Full Version : "Kernal Panic" Panic

bertomactic
May 6, 2011, 02:02 PM
i keep getting the "Kernal Panic" Error on one of G5 1.8 ghz ( all in one version) and on my G4 Quick Silver. What is the Kernal Panic error, what casues it and how do i fix it ????????

DeaconGraves
May 6, 2011, 02:04 PM
Kernel Panic is (essentially) the equivalent of the Windows "Blue Screen of Death." It can be caused for a variety of different reasons.

What were you doing when you had the Kernel Panics? Has it happened more than once?

zen.state
May 6, 2011, 02:31 PM
Kernal Panic = hardware failure

9 times out of 10 it's RAM that causes this. Take out your memory one stick at a time and see if you get the same panic. If the KP's stop then you will know the stick you have out of it is to blame.

bertomactic
May 8, 2011, 04:29 PM
Kernal Panic = hardware failure

9 times out of 10 it's RAM that causes this. Take out your memory one stick at a time and see if you get the same panic. If the KP's stop then you will know the stick you have out of it is to blame.

Oh no.....i opened the Imac G5 (all in one) and there appears to be an expanded cap with a little brownish powder on top of the capicitor.....
is there any point in continuing trying to fix this Mac...........i really dont want to put a lot of money into this particular Mac.......??!!

adcx64
May 8, 2011, 07:05 PM
Capacitors are sold for under two dollars! Just replace the cap, and make sure u practice your soldering skills first! ;)

bertomactic
May 8, 2011, 11:01 PM
Capacitors are sold for under two dollars! Just replace the cap, and make sure u practice your soldering skills first! ;)

I will give it a try......and keep you posted........

zen.state
May 8, 2011, 11:12 PM
I will give it a try......and keep you posted........

Can you still read any printed info on the capacitor? Make sure you get one of the exact same specs.

bdesul
May 11, 2011, 01:31 AM
Hey adcx64 -

Do you think that replacing the capacitors would elongate the
life of the computer a few more years? Or once they go, do the replacements tend to blow out easier than the originals? Or could there be residual damage to the logic board from leaking capacitors?

I have the same issue as bertomactic but have zero soldering experience. Just trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to give it a try.

I appreciate any help. Thanks, Bdesul.

Nameci
May 11, 2011, 08:59 AM
Yes, absolutely. It would prolong the life of your iMac.

bdesul
May 11, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hey Nameci,
Would it be worth spending $200 to have fixed or should I give the soldering a
shot? I just dont want to screw something up and have to buy a new logic board. Is the soldering difficult? I appreciate the help.
Thx, Bdesul

Nameci
May 11, 2011, 09:11 PM
Soldering it is easy for me since I am a tech guy by profession. If you are not comfortable enough better let the professionals do the job for you. But $200 is too way expensive.