Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anamznazn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
hey, i just bought a new 12" powerbook and was wondering what's the best way to extend the battery life so it won't die so quickly? is it safe to leave the power cord in all the time? or should i let the battery drain til it's almost gone until i put the cord back in again? thanks.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Apple say the best way is to 'keep electrons flowing' (or something like that).
Basically use it on the battery until it's nearly dead then use the charger.
Everyone seems to have different opinions on battery life and useage.

See here

Also if you're not going to be using the battery for a while it's best to store it with 50% charge.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Mine spends 80-90% of its life plugged in. I do make sure that it gets to use up some of its battery juice every week or so - and I calibrate it regularly (every 2-3 months)

Mine's a year old and I'm still getting the 2.45hr battery (with Airport on) that I had when it was new.

I'm not sure about taking it down to 'nearly dead' and plugging it back in again - don't they have a limited number of full charge/decharge? From that Apple page, I read it as taking it down to 50-60% on the commute and then bringing it back up again.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Applespider said:
I'm not sure about taking it down to 'nearly dead' and plugging it back in again - don't they have a limited number of full charge/decharge?

300 charge cycles apparently

Applespider said:
From that Apple page, I read it as taking it down to 50-60% on the commute and then bringing it back up again.
Depends how long you have to commute...

When I'm at home my Powerbook is always plugged in, then at college it runs on the battery unless I need full performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.