PDA

View Full Version : Which Language ??

Fritzables
May 7, 2011, 03:14 AM
Hi All,

Well... I have just bought my first Apple products. It's one of the new iMac units - hope to see the delivery during next week.

I have been an avid programmer using the Windows environment, Visual Studio C#. I like to develop applications for the OS I am working on.

So, seeing that I will be in a new OS and would like to write apps for iMac/iPod what is available for the iMac, knowing that I am fluent with C# ?

Cheers
Pete

jiminaus
May 7, 2011, 04:04 AM
Generally Mac OS X and iOS applications are written in Objective-C using XCode. XCode 3 is included on your Mac OS X installation DVD. XCode 4 is available via the Mac App Store.

You can also check out Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page). It will let you code in C# on both the Mac and the iPhone. I don't know if acceptable to submit Mono apps to the either of the app stores though.

ehoui
May 7, 2011, 08:03 AM
Based on your background and where you want to run your apps, I second Objective C. Apple has on-line tutorials that will get you started, including building your first Mac OS X and iOS apps.

http://developer.apple.com/resources/

Blakeasd
May 7, 2011, 10:59 AM
You can submit Mono apps to the mac app store ;)

Mac_Max
May 7, 2011, 01:03 PM
And with Mono Touch you can create iPhone apps as well :).

subsonix
May 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
Learn Obj-C, Cocoa and Xcode and get access to the platform frameworks and tools directly. I would consider Mono in case of doing a "lazy" port.

fernandovalente
May 9, 2011, 10:19 AM
I love Objective-C and if I were you, I'd learn it. But Mono can be a great way to start in case you're in hurry.

Fritzables
May 9, 2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone for responding to my query.

Well, it looks like XCode (with Objective-C) has it.
I have managed to find a book that deals with these together.

Under the Windows, 'C' did have some limitations thus one of the reasons I pursued C++ then C#. Is this the case with iMac??

Pete

jiminaus
May 9, 2011, 07:23 PM
Under the Windows, 'C' did have some limitations thus one of the reasons I pursued C++ then C#. Is this the case with iMac??

If you're talking about GUI programming then yes.

There is a C GUI framework on Mac OS X called Carbon. It was a bridge between traditional Mac OS and Mac OS X (these are 2 very different things, kind of like Windows 3.1 verses Windows NT, but more so). I understand lots of software still uses it. But it has effectively been deprecated by Apple ruling out upgrading it to 64-bit, so I would strongly recommend not using it for new development.

AppKit on Mac OS X and UIKit on iOS are the Objective-C GUI frameworks. It fits into those OS's in a similar place as does MFC and WPF/WinForms on Windows.