PDA

View Full Version : Apple Set Top Box

carnacious
Mar 11, 2005, 06:47 AM
Anyone seen one of these before?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51046&item=5172269024&rd=1

bosrs1
Mar 11, 2005, 09:51 AM
Anyone seen one of these before?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51046&item=5172269024&rd=1
I'm not sure that's genuine. Looks like a Quadra 660AV with no drive doors.

Mudbug
Mar 11, 2005, 10:50 AM
this was a failed venture by apple many years back. They also had a game console not unlike a Sega Genesis type of thing that didn't go anywhere past the prototype stage.

miloblithe
Mar 11, 2005, 11:19 AM
I'm kind of surprised that there are no bids. It seems like the kind of thing a collector would pay 25 pounds for.

carnacious
Mar 11, 2005, 11:23 AM
Anyone know what it actually does?

skunk_pb17
Mar 11, 2005, 11:31 AM
I wonder if this thing actually works...
Might be worth 25 pounds, but not if it doesn't work.
As the guy says it is a prototype :) It would be cool if apple made one of theese. like a mac mini with a pvr...

Candyfingered
Mar 11, 2005, 12:19 PM
I'm kind of surprised that there are no bids. It seems like the kind of thing a collector would pay 25 pounds for.
They're not bidding because it's authenticity is questionable at best and the seller only has 1 feedback and is brand new. As a general eBay rule never buy from new members. They are more often then not scam artists. eBay has become a pit in the last year or two.

varmit
Mar 11, 2005, 03:32 PM
They're not bidding because it's authenticity is questionable at best and the seller only has 1 feedback and is brand new. As a general eBay rule never buy from new members. They are more often then not scam artists. eBay has become a pit in the last year or two.So how the hell do new people end up selling stuff and getting a good reputation. Plus, they normally steal a name that has feed back already and use that name to front a scam. So it has no chance of leading back to them since they never setup the account.

Maestro64
Mar 11, 2005, 03:44 PM
Yep it is the real thing, I actually touched one of those while they were still in development. Around 94/95 apple looked at getting into this market, it is the forerunner to the Tivo, if you notice it has the old Powerbook style SCSI connector. It was a cable decoder as well as some level of Mac functionality. You remember the old MacTV product well this is it without the monitor. All these product got killed when apple was sucking wind.

Well on this subject, what you think old apple prototypes are worth, I have a number of them.

varmit
Mar 16, 2005, 09:42 AM
Yep it is the real thing, I actually touched one of those while they were still in development. Around 94/95 apple looked at getting into this market, it is the forerunner to the Tivo, if you notice it has the old Powerbook style SCSI connector. It was a cable decoder as well as some level of Mac functionality. You remember the old MacTV product well this is it without the monitor. All these product got killed when apple was sucking wind.

Well on this subject, what you think old apple prototypes are worth, I have a number of them.Its kind of a law of supply and demand. I'm not sure if Apple collectors are looking for these things, or even know they exist. If they did, and there weren't a lot made, they could be worth quite a bit. Maybe a little more than what they were originally going for even if they don't work.