PDA

View Full Version : Books in iPhoto 4

Le Big Mac
Mar 11, 2005, 07:13 AM
So I haven't sprung for the new iLife05 yet . . .

I was hoping to make a book in iPhoto 4, and I seem to be able to do so, but there are no instructions on apple's site any more about iPhoto 4. E.g., what types of books, page lengths, pricing, etc. The prices on the site for iPhoto 5 books seem to be a lot lower ($29.99 for 10-20 pages) than the $45 or so (plus shipping and tax) for the 20 page book I put together.

Anyone have some links to help topics on books in iPhoto 4?

SilentPanda
Mar 11, 2005, 07:53 AM
I think the prices are the same for iPhoto 4 but you can *only* get the 1 sided large hardback books made.

Since the creation part is actually in iPhoto 5 and not a "web download" or anything you wouldn't be able to make any other type of book in iPhoto 4.

That's just a guess but you might do yourself well to call/e-mail Apple.

Le Big Mac
Mar 11, 2005, 08:04 AM
I think the prices are the same for iPhoto 4 but you can *only* get the 1 sided large hardback books made.

That might explain it. I think I had a 20-page book, and Apple quotes $30, +1.50/page (or so). If it's one-sided, that would work out to about $45.

It's a bit odd--one might think they would update iPhoto 4 at least to incorporate a feature that makes them additional money. But then again, Apple hasn't hired me for marketing.

SilentPanda
Mar 11, 2005, 08:29 AM
That might explain it. I think I had a 20-page book, and Apple quotes $30, +1.50/page (or so). If it's one-sided, that would work out to about $45.

It's a bit odd--one might think they would update iPhoto 4 at least to incorporate a feature that makes them additional money. But then again, Apple hasn't hired me for marketing.

Or they could not incorporate the feature into iPhoto 4, making you purchase iPhoto 5 in order to use the feature and thus, make more money... ;) :(

Le Big Mac
Mar 11, 2005, 08:34 AM
Or they could not incorporate the feature into iPhoto 4, making you purchase iPhoto 5 in order to use the feature and thus, make more money... ;) :(

Understood. I guess it's a bit different in my mind that's a feature purely within the program (e.g., HD in iMovie). I look at the books and prints as a separate, additional revenue stream. For the same reason they give away updates to iTunes, this part of iPhoto might be worth updating.

Of course, maybe they make no money on the books, and basically sell them at cost to market the product, in which case you're definitely right.