PDA

View Full Version : Yes, it's been done before, BUT; Screen Protector or No? Why?

gdeputy
May 7, 2011, 10:27 AM
For all the iPad 1 & 2 owners out there, are you rocking a screen protector of some kind? If so why? if not why?

I searched and nothing came up on this exact subject for a page or two meaning the thread is old enough to not bother bumping.

For me, currently, yes I have a skin on front/back and smart cover. However, I may be exchanging my iPad 2 and I'm considering weather I want the protector or not. My girlfriends fathers iPad has no screen scratches and he's had it since christmas, surprising to me.

Zcott
May 7, 2011, 10:40 AM
No, because I like the screen just how it is. And with a smart cover, the screen stays flawless.

TheUndertow
May 7, 2011, 10:43 AM
No...I don't want to change the feel of the screen or watch as bubbles or snags appear over time.

I've been rocking an iPad since launch and have never scratched the screen.

With that said, I do always use a "book" type case so the screen is covered in transit.

Capt T
May 7, 2011, 10:44 AM
No screen protector. For the iPad 1 over a year and no scratches, had it in an Apple case from day 1. For the iPad 2 going the same route.

Mlrollin91
May 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
Put a Power Support Crystal Screen Protector on mine. Can never be overprotective of something. For my iPhone 3G and 3GS I didn't put one on them and shortly after they somehow got big scratches. It drives me insane. So from day 1 my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 have both had screen protectors.

Plus it helps increase the resale value for if you decide to sell when the next generation comes out.

Antfer
May 7, 2011, 11:01 AM
I'm rock n a wrap sol.
No worries for me babe

Blorzoga
May 7, 2011, 11:15 AM
One word: fingerprints

The PS AG does a great job of reducing (not eliminating) fingerprints and there are no bubbles or crackles in the film. It is very high quality.

Mlrollin91
May 7, 2011, 11:20 AM
One word: fingerprints

The PS AG does a great job of reducing (not eliminating) fingerprints and there are no bubbles or crackles in the film. It is very high quality.

Overall how do you like the Anti-Glare. I have it on my iPhone, but figured for the iPad I should go Crystal so text isn't as grainy. Is it noticeable for you? The only thing I regret from the Crystal is the fingerprints...

peapody
May 7, 2011, 11:56 AM
Overall how do you like the Anti-Glare. I have it on my iPhone, but figured for the iPad I should go Crystal so text isn't as grainy. Is it noticeable for you? The only thing I regret from the Crystal is the fingerprints...

I love the HR AG on the iPad...the screen is so smooth and the colors are still very crisp. Fingerprints reduced. $35 but well worth it to me.

spiderman0616
May 7, 2011, 10:07 PM
I worry constantly about my iPhone and iPad screens getting scratched and I treat both gadgets with kid gloves. On my iPhone 4 I have a Belkin GripVue, and clear protectors on both the front and back. I got them installed perfectly somehow, so you can't tell they're on.

My iPad, however, has been a different ball of wax. Before my iPad arrived from UPS, I ordered all the components to have the same kind of setup as on my iPhone--front and back protectors with a silicon case for the back. I also have a zip up style folio case as I'm a heavy commuter and this thing gets used on the train and toted around in my backpack.

Long story short, the silicon case was a really tight fit and I didn't bother with the back skin. I did put the front screen protector on and I had taken it off by day 2. It was too annoying and bubbly and I couldn't keep finger prints off of it to save my life. I reminded myself that I have a lot of friends with iPhones that just throw the things in their pockets with no screen protection and there is still not a mark on them (trust me, I inspect my friends' iPhone 4s just to see how they're faring. Also note the back glass is a whole different story. It scratches easily.)

If you keep the screen covered by some kind of case like the smart cover or a zip up binder style case, you are fine. And a very gentle wipe down with a micro fiber cloth is all it takes to get the screen sparkling clean again. I would worry more about the back aluminum housing which is very soft and can scratch and dent very easily. But I honestly think the iPad experience is greatly diminished with a screen protector on. With an iPhone it's worth it because phones take a harder beating.

NewYorkRanger
May 7, 2011, 10:25 PM
You know those people who cover their sofas in plastic? Same type who stick cheap plastic stickers on Apple devices for "protection".

The screen does not get scratched by normal use. People can scratch the screen, though, by instances of misuse or an accident, but not normal use. If your device is going to be involved in an accident, well, a cheap $10 sticker might help you, but I prefer to think of the 99.9999% of the time I'll use the iPad without having any "accidents", and thus, I choose to not use a screen "protector" to protect me the 0.0001% of the chance something might happen. I choose to live my life on the odds of not being fearful of life. Being a huge worry wart about a $400 piece of technology is not something I'm interested in, especially since I don't plan on owning in a couple of years because I'll sell it.

Protectors also feel and look horrible. Nothing comes close to the feel of the original Apple coating. SGP has one that is close, but it does wear down. Nothing is a perfect fit either, a fit such that it makes it look like there is no screen protector at all.

Besides, if Apple needed to protect the screen any more, they would be including the screen protectors or would be building them in on the screens. The screen is fine, get a smart cover to protect it when not in use.

It's not like you'll be using this specific iPad 3-5 years from now. You'll almost certainly sell it, and a scratch is only going to cost you, what, $50 in resale value? Not worth making your device look like a sofa covered in plastic.

AbyssImpact
May 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
You know those people who cover their sofas in plastic? Same type who stick cheap plastic stickers on Apple devices for "protection".

The screen does not get scratched by normal use. People can scratch the screen, though, by instances of misuse or an accident, but not normal use. If your device is going to be involved in an accident, well, a cheap $10 sticker might help you, but I prefer to think of the 99.9999% of the time I'll use the iPad without having any "accidents", and thus, I choose to not use a screen "protector" to protect me the 0.0001% of the chance something might happen. I choose to live my life on the odds of not being fearful of life. Being a huge worry wart about a $400 piece of technology is not something I'm interested in, especially since I don't plan on owning in a couple of years because I'll sell it.

Protectors also feel and look horrible. Nothing comes close to the feel of the original Apple coating. SGP has one that is close, but it does wear down. Nothing is a perfect fit either, a fit such that it makes it look like there is no screen protector at all.

Besides, if Apple needed to protect the screen any more, they would be including the screen protectors or would be building them in on the screens. The screen is fine, get a smart cover to protect it when not in use.

It's not like you'll be using this specific iPad 3-5 years from now. You'll almost certainly sell it, and a scratch is only going to cost you, what, $50 in resale value? Not worth making your device look like a sofa covered in plastic.
What about the back of the Ipad? It can get scratches easily.

splogue
May 7, 2011, 11:22 PM
I have a very expensive, clear bra on my 70K automobile. It is made with the same 3M material used for these "stickers," as you call them.

It deflects rocks travelling at high speed, guards against scratches (but not dents), and after years in the sun is completely clear and not yellow. It is invisible, except under close inspection.

So, yes, I have the same thing on my iPhone, and my iPad. And it is not the same thing as the sofas covered in cheap plastic (do they even still do that?).

Sorry, I just get tired of the sofa comparison. It really isn't the same thing at all.

Sean

mavis
May 7, 2011, 11:49 PM
Yuck. I had an iPad 1 since launch day and after a year of abuse (I have a three-year-old and a one-year-old who think the iPad is the greatest thing EVER) it only had a few very tiny scratches on the screen. So, I'm skipping the screen protector this time around, too. I like the way my iPad 2 feels without a screen protector, and even if it does get a tiny little scratch, it's not the end of the world.

LDTaylor85
May 7, 2011, 11:55 PM
Screen protectors irritate the crap out of me. It's pretty much impossible to install them flawlessly and im not spending 40 bucks on one. The smart cover works great for me, and I put a skin on the back, no problems here...well besides finger print, but I can deal with that.

peapody
May 8, 2011, 12:02 AM
I use my protector to prevent all the fingerprints...not everyone is hat concerned about scratches..

GoKyu
May 8, 2011, 12:48 AM
Who buys screen protectors for scratches? Unless you have a serious accident, you won't get scratches when using it un a normal basis (unless you have long fingernails or something.)

As for me, I *always* use a screen protector for 2 specific reasons (and one of them is not to prevent scratches):

#1. Fingerprints - the default iPad screen is a fingerprint *magnet*. And although Steve Jobs made it sound like you just have to close the smart cover and they magically get erased, that's not what happens outside of his Reality Distortion Field.

The smart cover can be pulled off to *wipe* down the screen, and that does work well, but it's as good as carrying a microfiber cloth with you everywhere you take the iPad anyway. With a screen protector, you may only have to wipe off the screen once a week or less often, instead of every 5 minutes.

#2. GLARE - I like Apple products a lot, but I hate that in most cases, they don't offer (even as an optional purchase) a matte/antiglare version (this is one of many reasons why I chose to buy a Mac Pro over an iMac.)

Yes the colors may "pop" a bit more on the default screen, but I've noticed almost no difference in vivid colors wih my Steinheil (SGP) antiglare shield. For those considering a Zagg antiglare for the iPad 2 - Don't waste your money (I was able to get mine refunded). It puts this prismatic haze and terribly distracting color noise over the screen. Give me glare if I could only choose Zagg's product...

So don't think screen "protectors" are always necessarily just to keep scratches away, but are often used for these other two reasons as well.

mark34
May 9, 2011, 03:35 PM
Screen protectors irritate the crap out of me. It's pretty much impossible to install them flawlessly and im not spending 40 bucks on one. The smart cover works great for me, and I put a skin on the back, no problems here...well besides finger print, but I can deal with that.

I always felt that way too and would never try to do myself... always a fail. I have never seen a self installed one look good. Always bubbles always yuck. There is a kiosk in my mall (and many now) that does it.. Our kiosk happens to be Ghost Armor, but I have seen others like Invisishield at other malls. It is awesome when done right, plus they will replace anything if it doesn't look right for only $10. I just go back every couple of months and get a new one on my iphone 4. The ipad one is still completely unnoticeable so I haven't replaced it. I am really picky and easily annoyed by bubbles or anything that feels wrong or makes a movie look bad. Now I go naked when I use it and just store in a sleeve case. I won't exit the mall now without installing a screen protector on my devices.

hoofbite
May 9, 2011, 03:52 PM
I always felt that way too and would never try to do myself... always a fail. I have never seen a self installed one look good. Always bubbles always yuck. There is a kiosk in my mall (and many now) that does it.. Our kiosk happens to be Ghost Armor, but I have seen others like Invisishield at other malls. It is awesome when done right, plus they will replace anything if it doesn't look right for only $10. I just go back every couple of months and get a new one on my iphone 4. The ipad one is still completely unnoticeable so I haven't replaced it. I am really picky and easily annoyed by bubbles or anything that feels wrong or makes a movie look bad. Now I go naked when I use it and just store in a sleeve case. I won't exit the mall now without installing a screen protector on my devices.

Very true, if done right. They look great.

I suck ass at installing them and they always turn out terrible. I really wish Ghost Armor had a location near me to install, but they don't.

porcupine8
May 9, 2011, 04:26 PM
I had planned on getting one when I got my iPad, but here I am a month and a half later and I haven't bothered yet. Not sure i will now. I have a targus vuscape case, which I love and protects both front and back. Fingerprints don't bother me much - you can't really see them when the iPad is actually on anyhow. I wipe them off once a week or so, but there's no real difference. I rarely use my iPad in high-glare situations, and when I do turning up the brightness (which I usually keep at <30%) fixes that well enough.

When I bought iPad my main experience with touch screens was my nintendo ds, which of course is resistive using a sharp stylus and scratches like crazy, so I assumed I'd need one - but despite constant use with both fingers and a stylus, my screen is still perfect. Glass is not easy to scratch.

I might still get one now that there are a lot of iPad 2 ones available, just because better safe than sorry - one drop with the case open is all it takes. But if it interferres with my enjoyment I won't feel too bad about going back to bare.

3goldens
May 9, 2011, 05:33 PM
use mine solely for fingerprints and glare. powersupport only, best one out there, easy to install.

LDTaylor85
May 9, 2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the info, I was considering going to one of the mall kiosks as a last resort. How much did they charge you??

xraytech
May 10, 2011, 12:42 AM
I worry constantly about my iPhone and iPad screens getting scratched and I treat both gadgets with kid gloves. On my iPhone 4 I have a Belkin GripVue, and clear protectors on both the front and back. I got them installed perfectly somehow, so you can't tell they're on.

My iPad, however, has been a different ball of wax. Before my iPad arrived from UPS, I ordered all the components to have the same kind of setup as on my iPhone--front and back protectors with a silicon case for the back. I also have a zip up style folio case as I'm a heavy commuter and this thing gets used on the train and toted around in my backpack.

Long story short, the silicon case was a really tight fit and I didn't bother with the back skin. I did put the front screen protector on and I had taken it off by day 2. It was too annoying and bubbly and I couldn't keep finger prints off of it to save my life. I reminded myself that I have a lot of friends with iPhones that just throw the things in their pockets with no screen protection and there is still not a mark on them (trust me, I inspect my friends' iPhone 4s just to see how they're faring. Also note the back glass is a whole different story. It scratches easily.)

If you keep the screen covered by some kind of case like the smart cover or a zip up binder style case, you are fine. And a very gentle wipe down with a micro fiber cloth is all it takes to get the screen sparkling clean again. I would worry more about the back aluminum housing which is very soft and can scratch and dent very easily. But I honestly think the iPad experience is greatly diminished with a screen protector on. With an iPhone it's worth it because phones take a harder beating.

I use screen protectors mainly for better touch feel especially for gaming and reduced glare.