Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Good day!

I am a med-student owning a 4year old Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21M Laptop (15'', 2.00 GHz C2D, NVIDIA 8600M GT, 3 Kg of weight) and a 6-month old ZTE Blade Phone (600 MHz Qualcomm 7227 CPU, 3.5'' Android phone with CM7 2.3).

Now, I recently got into a contest to win an iPad 2. As the contest ended and I watched all the entries, I feel I have a good shot at winning it. I was thinking of keeping it to work, kind of like a portable laptop, whenever I went to uni (my 3Kg Sony Vaio surely is not a portable computer). Although I do think it can be considered a luxury, I suppose it could come in handy when it came to web browsing, e-mail checking and eBook reading. But then again, my phone already does that. Maybe not as well as I'd like to, but it does. (please do not consider gaming when advising me, as it is the lowers of my priorities).

On the other hand, my laptop IS in need of replacement, and I was considering the a 13'' MBA (the Ultimate 13'' version, as I want the power to produce music, as well as photoshop). Selling the iPad will not be enough, however, to make me money to buy a MBA. Indeed, in best of chances I'd still be 900€ short from the 1600€ that the ultimate MBA 13'' would cost.

As such, my question boils down to: what would you do if you were me? Sell it and use those extra 200~400€ to get a MBA faster? Or keep the iPad 2, considering that realistically speaking the MBA will only come in, at the very least, 1 years'-time?

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
An iPad(2) is not a laptop replacement.

It allows web-browsing, e-mail-checking, eBook-reading, music-listening and Powerpoint-studying. Considering the options are either "keep the iPad" or "save for a laptop I'd only buy in 1 or 2 years", the "keep the iPad" choice doesn't seem too unlogical to me.

skythefly13

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Mba

I recently sold my iPad to solely rely on my MBA. There is no comparison. You won't regret it.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I had an iPad for awhile when they first came out. Sure it was cool at first and more portable than my Macbook at the time but doing anything productive on it got very frustrating once the "cool" factor went away. I sold it a few months after I purchased it because it had to many limitations. My MBA 13" is plenty portable for my needs.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Seeing as a MBA does not have 3g and you lose connectivity when outside or when wifi is not avail, , there is a huge diff in these two units...it's not an either or....it's both for diff things...

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Seeing as a MBA does not have 3g and you lose connectivity when outside or when wifi is not avail, , there is a huge diff in these two units...it's not an either or....it's both for diff things...
Can't a dongle for internet connection be used when outside?

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2011
I believe it comes down to your priorities. If you need something that will help with schoolwork , I'd prolly go with the MBA, but then again, there are apps for the iPad. If you simply need it for web browsing and reading, keep the iPad. If you need a replacement for a laptop, get the MBA, but if you won't be demanding much, go with the iPad.

halledise

macrumors 68000
On the other hand, my laptop IS in need of replacement, and I was considering the a 13'' MBA (the Ultimate 13'' version, as I want the power to produce music, as well as photoshop). Selling the iPad will not be enough, however, to make me money to buy a MBA. Indeed, in best of chances I'd still be 900€ short from the 1600€ that the ultimate MBA 13'' would cost.

a current 1.86/128ssd with 4 gb memory would be easily sufficient for your stated purpose and is around $300 cheaper than the 'ultimate' model (with the marginally faster processor.)

to wait for the next release can be fraught with frustration; this model will do me for another year or so.

$ saved and an external drive for additional storage if needed can be had for less than $100

hope you win the contest!

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London

er... iPhone tethering?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I'd say it depends on use case. If you're a big reader I think the iPad is ideal - with GoodReader, Instapaper, Kindle, and iBooks its just a better experience (at least, in my opinion) - same for e-mail. When it comes to web browsing, I still prefer a laptop.

Also, you mention you're a med student - I work at a medical school and we're really pushing students to get iPads as their primary devices.

dakovar

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
MBA v iPad

If I had to have only one device, I would go with a current gen MBA..... but....the option I would go for if I was going to buy an Ultimate MBA would be to buy a base Sandy Bridge MBA (should be out very soon) and buy a used Gen 1 iPad 3G.

I currently have the current gen MBA 11 and 1st Gen MBA 13. If you can hold out....a Sandy Bridge MBA with thunderbolt would be even better than a current gen MBA...insanely fast....and very connectable....definitely possible to use as ones one and only computer. Still, the current gen MBA 11 is a truly usable and fast computer for most things...is light....and has great battery life.

I also have a 1st gen iPad. I use it all the time when I travel....just sitting on the couch cruising the internet..and playing games. It's amazing device and I use it differently than my Macs.....most likely because I have multiple Apple devices. Regarding the iPad2....the iPad2 is great, but the iPad works for me and there isn't a compelling enough upside for me to buy an iPad2.

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
I'd go for the MBA.
Typing on a glass plate all night isn't that great. Plus half of the iPad screen is taken by the virtual keyboard.
So yeah, if you wanna do more than just browsing; MBA

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks for all the answers!

If I could, yeah, I'd get both. And an iPhone in the process too. Question is, I'm tight on money, and as such I need to plan my spendings right. It's either an iPad right now (used as a pseudo-laptop; notice how I'd still use my old laptop at home for true work) or a MBA in 1 or 2 years. I'm personally more inclined to the 1st option, simply because in 2 years I will (finally) begin making my own money as a doctor, and by then the MBA should be much easier for me to buy.

I am also thinking of selling the iPad and buying a base 13'' MBP. That should become buyable a lot quicker than an ultimate MBA 13''. It's just a thought to keep in mind.

Someone also said the base 13'' with 4GB of RAM would be enough for my needs. I doubt it'd be enough for some intensive music recording... that's actually what worries me the most. I don't want to speend 1000€+ on a device just to find out it isn't "quite enough". That must be quite frustrating.

Another user mentioned they were pushing iPads in their medical school. May I know why? I know there are some good medical apps, but why push students to buy an iPad? Simply for that? In my Uni, for now at least, there are no such signs.

Keep your thoughts coming! ;)

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I sold my iPad to help pay for my MBA, and don't regret it at all. The iPad is cool and you can arguably do some productive things with it, but it pales in comparison to a full fledged OS. Unfortunately iOS still has many short comings, especially with file syncing and management.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Not sure what the competition is but to start making decisions like this for something you havent even won yet seems very optimistic!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I have an iPad 2 to hold me off until the new MBA launches (however long that may take... I'm in no particular rush).

Currently, I have a Vaio Z from 2 years ago: 2.67GHz C2D (Penryn), 4GB RAM (DDR3), 300GB HDD, 1600x900 13in screen, Intel IGP + Nvidia 9300M GS, chiclet keyboard, yadda yadda. Still runs like a champ, so I'm good for awhile - especially since its portability lies somewhere between a 13in MBA and 13in MBP.

When I got my iPad 2, I was in love with it. But ~2 months later, I really don't use it as much. Like right now for example, it's hooked up to my TV playing Netflix (The Cosby Show!) while I'm on my laptop in my bed. 2 months ago, it would have been the opposite.

No regrets in the purchase though. And the battery life is superb. I do however, typically throw it in my bag when I go to class, oppose to packing up my laptop.

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Not sure what the competition is but to start making decisions like this for something you havent even won yet seems very optimistic!

I am indeed very optimistic. I've seen the other entries and... wow, were they weak. :rolleyes: Most of them didn't even fit the contest rules. :p

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Here's the basic gist of things... iPad is for "fun" while MB is for "work" and play. Go with the MBA. You'll get more work done.

If I didn't rely on my iPad for bathroom internet surfing/book reading and watching movies on the elliptical at the gym it would be nearly useless... I do the occasional email checking and web stuff while watching TV or in bed but I definitely don't get any work done with it.

Haribokart

Suspended
Sep 4, 2010
UK
I got caught up in the hype and bought an iPad 2, loved it for a month (new thing syndrome) but as time went on I got more and more frustrated by the things it doesn't do, you need an app for even the most simple of things like uploading to Photobucket etc. Acceptable on a phone but on a tablet I guess I expected more. Not that I am slagging off the iPad because it's brilliant but there is something missing for me. I get free wireless tethering with my carrier too so the iPad has no extra incentive to me over the Air in that aspect.

If I had a Macbook Pro/iMac or something I'd keep it but when you have an 11" Macbook Air and an iPhone 4 you have to force yourself to use the iPad most of the time. It can't compare to a Mac IMO due to the software limitations so I sold it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.