Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I am having a weird issue with the Notes field in the Address book on my iMac and my iPhone as well.

I had used a Palm product for a long time and i just recently bought an iPhone. All of my contacts from my Palm treo were ported over to my iPhone and then when i synced with my imac those contacts were added to the Address Book on the imac.

Ok here is the issue, on the "Palm" there were "custom" fields and a "note" field, all of the information there was dumped into the Note: field in Address Book. Along with each entry in the note section there is a some additional text (X-Palm-Custom 1 ), i am trying to remove this additional text and each time i try it just comes back.

I have tried on the iPhone and then Sync to iMac and on the iMac and sync back to iPhone, but no luck it just comes back.

Last edited:

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Here's an idea (and it might not work, so make a back up first).

Turn off syncing between your Mac and your iPhone.

After that, create and run an Automator script to remove all instances of that particular text string.

Once that's gone, turn syncing back on. If you're syncing through MobileMe, you can force the local contacts to overwrite the remote contacts, and from there it will put the fresh, newly minted with no text string contacts on your iDevice.

Does that make sense?

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Here's an idea (and it might not work, so make a back up first).

Turn off syncing between your Mac and your iPhone.

After that, create and run an Automator script to remove all instances of that particular text string.

Once that's gone, turn syncing back on. If you're syncing through MobileMe, you can force the local contacts to overwrite the remote contacts, and from there it will put the fresh, newly minted with no text string contacts on your iDevice.

Does that make sense?
Kudos, that sounds like a good solution.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Thank you for the response and yes it does sound like a good idea but I am not sure it will cover my issue. I can click edit and change the data but when i save it the changes are not kept.

Unless you think the script will have better luck at making the changes permanent.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Yeah, I don't know. I don't know how things work with contacts brought in from Palm, but the solution I proposed would (ideally) strip all of those text strings out.

When does the text string come back? Immediately after deleting it? After deleting, saving, and reopening?

Also, do you have a two way sync set up? Is it possible that wherever you're deleting them from is getting overwritten immediately by the original source?

I could be way off base with all of this, but hopefully you're going to figure it out somehow.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Yeah, I don't know. I don't know how things work with contacts brought in from Palm, but the solution I proposed would (ideally) strip all of those text strings out.

I may try that just to see if it works.

When does the text string come back? Immediately after deleting it? After deleting, saving, and reopening?

As soon as it is changed and i save the card, it reverts back and it is strange it is only doing it on some of the cards not all of them.

Also, do you have a two way sync set up? Is it possible that wherever you're deleting them from is getting overwritten immediately by the original source?

I could be way off base with all of this, but hopefully you're going to figure it out somehow.

Not sure about the two way sync, i do not see any settings that control that, i had the sync manager for the palm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.