Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I took out my Mini's 40 gig hard drive and replaced it with a 60gig 7200 rpm hard drive i put the 40 into an external usb2.0 enclosure... i'm trying to get all of my data off of the old hard drive and copy it to the new on that's in the computer now... when i try to copy some files the computer will freeze. i went to disk utility and tried repair on it and i get this:

Repairing disk for “Backup HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Invalid leaf record count
(It should be 1 instead of 1405)
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Repairing volume.
The volume Backup HD was repaired successfully.

Repair attempted on 2 volumes
1 HFS volume repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

i scanned with techtool pro 4 and i get no errors at all everything passes... i'm gonna try to swap the hard drives again but if that doesn' work i might just have to check out drive savers becasue i need the data off of that hard drive.... it had all of my pictures and music and so much important data... i've swapped hard drives many times.. i replaced the one in my iBook and i never had this problem at all.... any suggestions????

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 136

ct77

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Format drive?

I'm sure you've done this already, but try formatting the drive in Disk Utility...

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
What version OS are you on? 10.3.8?

10.3.8 has some wicked bugs for external mounted hard drives. My FW 800 drives have the same issue. I can't copy large files to them-- it just bombs on me.

My solution is to not use Firewire right now, which doesn't help you at all... but I think you might be on the right track with reinstalling the 40Gigger back in the Mini and see what you get.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
i was actually running the os the mini came with 10.3.7 and no luck and i just updated to 10.3.8 still no luck, formatting isn't an option cuzi want the data off of the hard drive.. i think i'm gonna try puttin it back in the mini again...... unless there are any other ideas???

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
maybe try to copy using the terminal, or try something like CarbonCopyCloner (have not yet tried this software so i'm not sure this would be able to help u), just some thoughts.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
macrlz9 said:
i was actually running the os the mini came with 10.3.7 and no luck and i just updated to 10.3.8 still no luck, formatting isn't an option cuzi want the data off of the hard drive.. i think i'm gonna try puttin it back in the mini again...... unless there are any other ideas???

I think that's the best bet, to be honest/

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
It sounds like you switched hard drives first, then attempted to copy the data from your old drive in the external enclosure to the new drive in your mini?

Why not try it the other way around? Put the old drive back in, copy it to the new drive in the external enclosure, THEN do the swap? Maybe that'll work.

Edit: For cloning, I recommend SuperDuper over CCC, personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.