PDA

View Full Version : Best/Fastest RAW browsing app?

Bardofar
May 8, 2011, 03:55 AM
Howdi Folks

What program do you guys think is the fastest for browsing RAW files? i normally use Capture one Pro for processing RAW files, but for browsing big folders with meny RAW files i figured there must be something faster with a better overview, perhaps with indexing features :confused:

thanks in advance

Bardofar

MattSepeta
May 8, 2011, 10:56 AM
This is anecdotal but I have been told numerous times that Photo Mechanic (http://www.camerabits.com/site/) is where it's at for lightning fast RAW-culling.

Edge100
May 8, 2011, 11:08 AM
Photo Mechanic, hands down.

Bardofar
May 8, 2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys i have never heard of Photo Mechanic before, ill give the demo version a try when my new imac arrives. :)

Ruahrc
May 8, 2011, 03:18 PM
It should be pointed out that Photo mechanic does not actually view the RAW Data, rather it gets its speed by reading/displaying the embedded JPEG previews that are written into each RAW file. At least for Nikons, every time you shoot a RAW picture, the camera embeds a preview JPEG equivalent to a "basic" quality JPEG in the file, and this is what Photo mechanic reads.

But yes, for culling/organizing photos, or even for downsizing for web usage (which the basic JPEG is of good enough quality), Photo mechanic is very responsive.

Ruahrc

khollister
May 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
It should be pointed out that Photo mechanic does not actually view the RAW Data, rather it gets its speed by reading/displaying the embedded JPEG previews that are written into each RAW file. At least for Nikons, every time you shoot a RAW picture, the camera embeds a preview JPEG equivalent to a "basic" quality JPEG in the file, and this is what Photo mechanic reads.

But yes, for culling/organizing photos, or even for downsizing for web usage (which the basic JPEG is of good enough quality), Photo mechanic is very responsive.

Ruahrc

Photo Mechanic can be set up to use either the embedded JPG or render the NEF. And it is a fantastic piece of software - very customizable and programmable. I have used it for years.

jcpenn
May 18, 2011, 05:50 PM
I always use LR, LightRoom, to preview RAW files.
I think the limitation of the speed is on my card reader itself.

Ryan1524
May 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
Very happy with Lightroom as well, here. And I only shoot raw.

Eaton Photos
May 19, 2011, 12:22 AM
I have tried numerous programs over the past 7-8 years. I only keep coming back to One: Camera Bits' "Photo Mechanic". I also have LR3.X, Bridge, & Capture One. For me though, PM is the BEST option for browsing through Raw Files. PM is also the choice of most major News Agencies, when it comes to Key-wording, Captioning, & Transmitting files. Heck the AP, had a special feature added into PM's preferences, just for their usage. If you don't have an AP access code, you cannot access the feature.

Now back to PM. You can customize rendering to use either the Raw File, or an embedded Jpeg. You can also customize the short-cut keys to suit your workflow. I use both the Color Class & Star Rating features, to organize my Raw Files. I love PM, and unless the program ceases to exist, I will never use another program for culling through my images.