Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmike100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I've never had a DVD burner till I got my new Powerbook.

What kind of discs does it use? I know there's +R, -R, etc.

Also, what's this dual-layer stuff? Does that mean you burn one side, then have to eject it and flip it around to burn the other or something?

Thanks

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
The latest versions of Macs can use either DVD-R or DVD+R. For the longest time it was only the former, but Apple gave in to the format battle.

Dual layer discs have two layers of data on one or both sides of the disc. Hypothetcially, you can have four layers of data. Most video DVDs that you rent have two layers and when there is a slight stall in the video about halfway in the movie, the player is changing layers (going from the first layer near the inner ring of the disc out to the outer ring of the second layer). If you have a dual-layer dual-sided disc, you will have to flip the DVD. Any DVDs you buy or rent with no label usually have one verion of the movie in widescreen and another in fullscreen.

As for the DVD+/-R debate, it's all dependent on what works with any DVD player you might put it in. Most of them list their compatibility. Dual-layer recorders are available, but not standard in Macs (yet) so you will be burning single-layer only.

I'd check out the iLife applications and start messing around with it. Spend a little time and money on blank discs and see what you can come up with.

Hope this helps.

cpjakes

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I believe that its said somewhere that you will get better compatablily with regular DVD players with -R media. That is why they supported it first, but all the other big players like Dell and HP went +R. Now its Blue-ray and HD-DVD, and it seems like Blue-ray has a leg up at the moment with amount of people supporting it and also that fact it can hold more than the HD-DVD format.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
varmit said:
Now its Blue-ray and HD-DVD, and it seems like Blue-ray has a leg up at the moment with amount of people supporting it and also that fact it can hold more than the HD-DVD format.

I just read on the front page here that apple has started working with the Blue-ray format instead of HD-DVD. I guess in a couple years that will be the new superdrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.