Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
I've done a bit of searching but haven't found any answers to this.

Is it possible to share the iPhone's GPS signal with the MacBook Air (preferably via Bluetooth)?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
For what exactly? I think you'd have a hell of a time actually finding something that could utilise it.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
The wifi iPad gains gps functionality when tethered to an iPhone 4, I'm sure it's possible on Mac laptops (as well as desktops) but not sure if there's a supported solution from Apple. Very possible through jailbreak if there's an app for it.

Chazn

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Although the iPad can gain GPS functionality through iPhone tethering, the Wifi only iPad version doesn't have in-built GPS. So beware it might use MORE of your iPhone's cellular data. (When trying to use your iPad to navigate)

I'm guessing this can also be applied to Mac computers? Not sure. *bumps*

Interesting question though

martijn.s

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
For what exactly? I think you'd have a hell of a time actually finding something that could utilise it.

yes, too bad there isn't a location manager on the mac (that receives the input from the iPhone), it would be great to have mapping apps, etc, on the mac.

the iPhone could be a great extension for a computer, too bad Apple isn't doing anything about that, merging chat and messaging (iChat), using it as a hard drive, or an extra input device (like a trackpad with an LCD), etc !

it's not hard to write an iPhone app that continuously sends the GPS coordinates to a mac, but there is no framework for apps to use that data.

connect2it

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Have you tried Logitech TouchMouse. Can use iPhone as a wireless trackpad/keyboard.

the iPhone could be a great extension for a computer, too bad Apple isn't doing anything about that, merging chat and messaging (iChat), using it as a hard drive, or an extra input device (like a trackpad with an LCD), etc !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.