PDA

View Full Version : Does 7k60 7200RPM 60Gb work on Powerbook G4 400?

jm2005
Mar 11, 2005, 02:43 PM
Hi,
I would like to replace my Powerbook G4 400 mhz hardrive to 72000RpM 60gb. It currently have 384 ram which I think also needs upgrade. Have no idea. Just saw someone posted he replaces his hardrive with this one but his is much better powerbook. I'm new here so bear with me. Could anyone help?

RGunner
Mar 11, 2005, 03:16 PM
but I would buy the 5400.2 from seagate (100gb) if it were me.

slipper
Mar 11, 2005, 03:55 PM
Theres been a good benchmark test on barefeats on the hitachi 7k60, but i find myself a little to skeptical to buy a hitachi harddrive.

jm2005
Mar 11, 2005, 04:09 PM
Hey, thanks! Pardon my ignorance. But isn't 5200 slower than 7200 rpm? I don't really know anything about computer and I would appreciate if you could give me advice on how I can power up my powerbook aside from upgrading the hardrive. Also plan to upgrade Ram to 768. Can anyone recommend a reliable store where i can buy these stuffs?

jm2005

livingfortoday
Mar 11, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hey, thanks! Pardon my ignorance. But isn't 5200 slower than 7200 rpm? I don't really know anything about computer and I would appreciate if you could give me advice on how I can power up my powerbook aside from upgrading the hardrive. Also plan to upgrade Ram to 768. Can anyone recommend a reliable store where i can buy these stuffs?

jm2005

Yeah, 5,400 is slower than 7,200, but it's definitely faster than your stock 4,200. I frankly would go with a 7200 RPM drive. But that's just me.

As far as buying these things goes, I'd recommend newegg.com for the hard drive, and owc.com for the RAM, because Mac's can be picky about the kind of RAM they accept, and OWC tests all theirs first.

Neuro
Mar 11, 2005, 04:58 PM
Hi Jim, I bought the Hitachi 7200rpm drive for my PowerBook Ti667. After installing, it really did seem about 30% faster when booting etc. I had no problems at all, it was just slightly noisier (nothing annoying though). I'd say do it. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a 400Mhz PB.

However, the 100Mb 5400 option is worth considering, as I doubt the speed difference is that great for a significant amount of extra storage.

Not sure where you are, but I got mine from Insight UK:
http://uk.insight.com/apps/nbs/index.php?K=7k60&x=37&y=6

ChrisFromCanada
Mar 11, 2005, 05:41 PM
http://www.barefeats.com/pb12.html

Mechcozmo
Mar 11, 2005, 05:51 PM
However, the 100Mb 5400 option is worth considering, as I doubt the speed difference is that great for a significant amount of extra storage.

100 Megabits isn't a lot of storage.
100 Megabytes isn't either.
100 Gigabytes... NOW you are talking!

8 bits to 1 byte, BTW.

Neuro
Mar 11, 2005, 06:06 PM
8 bits to 1 byte, BTW.

Really??!

Wow, I'm truly humbled.

I doubt the guy would have worked out it was a typo... :rolleyes:

HiRez
Mar 11, 2005, 06:20 PM
Hi,
I would like to replace my Powerbook G4 400 mhz hardrive to 72000RpM 60gb. It currently have 384 ram which I think also needs upgrade. Have no idea. Just saw someone posted he replaces his hardrive with this one but his is much better powerbook. I'm new here so bear with me. Could anyone help?I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in that machine, it's a standard 2.5" laptop IDE drive. I put a 7K60 into my 800 MHz 15" Titanium G4 PowerBook (DVI), a couple years ago, when the drives were first available. That's essentially the same case design that you have. It's still working great today, and it's probably on an average of 4-6 hours every day. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's definitely much faster, especially for capturing and playing back DV video, but also booting, launching apps, and loading icons/Safari bookmark data. It's actually more silent than my stock drive was, the battery life is exactly the same (I tested this vs. the original drive), and it does not seem to generate any additional heat (the case doesn't feel hotter and the fans come on the same amount of time). If you can afford it and live with 60 GB, it's highly recommended by me.

EDIT: You do need more RAM though, which I would look into maybe even before the drive. I would recommend 512 MB as a practical minimum for doing anything in OS X. My TiBook has 768 MB and I've found that to work extremely well. I run some major apps on my PowerBook, like Photoshop, After Effects, Cinema 4D, InDesign, etc., and often have a dozen or more apps open at the same time and it's no problem. Here's a typical Exposť for me:

http://home.earthlink.net/~benstahl/misc/images/multitask.jpg

Although you of course might need more RAM if working with gigantic 3D models or something. Just remember to leave about 2GB-5GB of free space available on your drive for virtual memory.

jm2005
Mar 11, 2005, 07:12 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice. I think I would add 512mb to it's ram. Currently have 256mb and 128mb. I am using the powerbook for Photoshop, dreamweaver and imovie applications. Nice screenshot. What software are you using to have the windows arranged that way?

I am using a Powerbook G4 400Mhz/10gb. It's really very slow right now since the available space is less than 1 gb. So I desperately need the upgrade.

Btw, I was wondering if it will still be running on both os 9 and os x (or just os x) with the new hardrive. Hope to hear from you again!

I am also want to know tha possibility of having 2 screens for my powerbook. I read somewhere, the feature is available with this kind of computer.

jm2005

jalagl
Mar 11, 2005, 08:38 PM
I am definitely buying that drive for my pb, and have been doing some research on it. Here's a couple of links that might help you:

Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 7200RPM 60GB Notebook Drive Tests (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/hitachi_travelstar60GB_7200/travelstar60GB_7200rpm.html)

PowerBook G4 (Titanium) Hard Drive Upgrade Guide (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/powerbook_g4/PB_G4_HD_upgrade/pb_g4_hd_upgrade.html)

HiRez
Mar 11, 2005, 09:38 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice. I think I would add 512mb to it's ram. Currently have 256mb and 128mb. I am using the powerbook for Photoshop, dreamweaver and imovie applications. Nice screenshot. What software are you using to have the windows arranged that way?That's called Exposť and it's built in to OS X 10.3 Panther. It's extremely useful, if you run 10.3 I would definitely check it out. You can turn it on and set options for it in the System Preferences panel (it has its own section). You can have it show all windows from all apps, all windows from the front app, or clear off all windows so you can see the Desktop. You can trigger these either by the keyboard or by running your mouse over hotspots in the corners of the screen.

Btw, I was wondering if it will still be running on both os 9 and os x (or just os x) with the new hardrive.You'll have to reinstall OS X of course, but the drive should make no difference in what software you can run on it: it'll run the same stuff you were running before.

I am also want to know tha possibility of having 2 screens for my powerbook. I read somewhere, the feature is available with this kind of computer.That's something you will get with all modern PowerBooks. It's usually called "spanning". When the PowerBook detects you've connected an external screen, you will be able to use it and set options for how the screens are configured in the System Preferences under the Displays pane. You can set the external screen to be to the left or right of your internal display and move the system menu bar to either monitor. Usually you will want to Sleep the Mac, connect the external monitor, then wake it and at that point it should recognize the new screen. In OS 9 you can do this in (it's been a while but I think) the Monitors control panel. You can connect either VGA or s-video/composite video but not both at the same time; you're limited to two screens at a time, one of which is your PowerBook's internal LCD screen.

The screens are not necessarily completely separate, if you set them to, they extend each other. For example, you can drag a window halfway onto the other screen and see half the window on each. But many applications will treat them as separate, like Keynote and many games. Each screen can have its own background image and color calibration (don't forget to calibrate external screens). For playing DVDs externally, you'll want to select the Overscan and Best for Video options. You can also go into "mirroring" mode where both screens will show exactly the same thing simultaneously.

California
Mar 11, 2005, 10:09 PM
I upgraded my 400mhz Tibook to a 5400rpm Hitachi travelstar 40gb.

It is so quiet I can't tell when it is even on.

NO problems, also put one gig memory in. Great machine. I think I would go for the 60gig 7200 if I keep the tibook much longer. But VERY pleased with the Hitachi; also put the older (and noisier) 10gb drive on a usb external case. Great set up for me.

Mechcozmo
Mar 11, 2005, 10:51 PM
Nice screenshot. What software are you using to have the windows arranged that way?

Btw, I was wondering if it will still be running on both os 9 and os x (or just os x) with the new hardrive. Hope to hear from you again!

I am also want to know tha possibility of having 2 screens for my powerbook. I read somewhere, the feature is available with this kind of computer.\

1. OS X... 10.3 and later.

2. If you install OS 9 and OS X, preferably on separate partitions (smaller one for OS 9 :D )

3. Connect up a display to it. See what happens. Should work.

ibilly
Mar 11, 2005, 11:11 PM
I think that the 7K60 would be more expensive than beneficial. If you are ok with 60GB, go with a 5400 RPM one and save your self a bundle. Use it on maxing out RAM, or even better, upgrading your porwebook to a nice used one. I honestly think that the processor, bus, and VRAM will be too great of bottlenecks to overcome with strong HD's and RAM... I find it likely that you will not be able to use your new components to their full potential, and for the several hundred you are planning on spending, I'd look for a G4 around 600+mhz or a G3 at 700+. Otherwise, I'm not sure you'd see much improvement, especially not with the 7200 RPM drive. RAM almost always helps (stupid G5 owners with 4 Gigs...) but I don't think that with a 400mhz G3 that you are going to benefit much in overall performance with a reallly fast HD.

384MB on the other hand is not too shabby, esp considering the max of your system (isn't it @ or under a gig?). So my advice is to circumvent the slow bus, bluky size, slower prosecsor, and durable black plastic for a shiny, used, lightweight whateverbook with about double the proscessing power of your current lappy

ibilly
Mar 11, 2005, 11:19 PM
just kidding about all that bulkyness, black plastic, etc. I thought that it was a 400mhz G3 powerbook. Oh well. I'd have to ckeck, but I still believe that the bus and (to a lesser extent) the prosecssor would be bottlenecks for this system and the proposed new components. Bottom line is i don't reallt think taht the 7k60 is worth it, and ram is always good. What do you mostly use it for?

jm2005
Mar 12, 2005, 03:58 AM
just kidding about all that bulkyness, black plastic, etc. I thought that it was a 400mhz G3 powerbook. Oh well. I'd have to ckeck, but I still believe that the bus and (to a lesser extent) the prosecssor would be bottlenecks for this system and the proposed new components. Bottom line is i don't reallt think taht the 7k60 is worth it, and ram is always good. What do you mostly use it for?

I use it mostly for photoshop, dreamweaver. Hopefully, when I upgrade the HD, I can fully use imovie. Can't really use the PB to it's capacity due to limited disk space. I know the current 384 ram is also not sufficient. Really need to uograde both the ram and HD.

I am really thankful to all of you. I am learning a lot about my system. I still need to know which is better though- the 5500 seagate or the 7200 rpm hitachi. But hey, this is really very educational.

jm2005

jm2005
Mar 12, 2005, 04:04 AM
Great info. I have learned so much today. Considering it's my first day as a member here. Thanks heap :)

jm2005

jm2005
Mar 12, 2005, 04:16 AM
Hey, the links' are very helpful. Thanks.

Btw, does anbody know if I could possibly upgrade my dvd/cd r to dvd rw/cd rw?

jm2005

California
Mar 12, 2005, 11:27 PM
I don't think you can upgrade the dvd/cd.

I have no trouble with imovie in my tbook g4 400 with the Hitachi 40gig 5400rpm drive and 1gig memory.

I STILL LOVE my machine.

livingfortoday
Mar 13, 2005, 12:05 AM
Hey, the links' are very helpful. Thanks.

Btw, does anbody know if I could possibly upgrade my dvd/cd r to dvd rw/cd rw?

jm2005

You sure can. Here's a link to OWC, with the different PowerBook models and the drives you can get:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/powerbook/

They're kind of pricey, but you can always shop around on eBay if you wanna save about $50. With OWC you're getting something guaranteed to work with your Mac, though...

Xeem
Mar 13, 2005, 01:05 AM
I also use a 400 mHz TiBook with 384 megs of RAM. Like California, I love the 40 GB 5400 rpm Hitachi Travelstar I have in there; the performance gain I got when I swapped out the original 10 GB drive was pretty impressive. I don't think 7200 rpm drives are necessary due to everything else (GPU,CPU, and RAM) holding us back. Oh, and you can buy replacement optical drives for any Powerbook, but they're usually WAY more expensive than a Firewire alternative.