PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the backlit keyboard will come back to the MBA???

MBABuyer
May 8, 2011, 10:00 PM
Do you think the backlit keyboard will come back to the MBA, in the next release (June, as many people think)???

Thanks,
Swayne

brand
May 9, 2011, 01:41 AM
Another pointless post.

Gonky
May 9, 2011, 02:35 AM
I hope so, even as an option in the 13" model. The original three revisions had it and were of comparable size.

amarcus
May 9, 2011, 03:24 AM
Doubt it. With the MacBook Pros set to become more MacBook Air like... I'm guess Apple would want to keep backlight keys as a 'pro' feature.

CorvetteZR1
May 9, 2011, 03:38 AM
It will. Probably this year.

KylePowers
May 9, 2011, 04:02 AM
Do I think it will? No.

Do I want it to? Sure.

Am I creditable source? Not in the least.

Reasons why it might?
- High demand/Popular Feature (at least, it seems that way)
- Assuming the new MBA goes SB with no Nvidia/AMD GPU, it may be cheaper to manufacture. This would allow Apple to squeeze the backlit keyboard into the design, while still allowing them to operate in their desired profit margins.
- Maybe if battery life significantly improves, the backlit keyboard wouldn't be too much of a burden (and yes, I know you can turn it off)
- Maybe if the backlit keyboard technology improves (less power intensive, thinner design)

Reasons why it might not?
- Not enough demand/not a popular enough feature (I have no statistics)
- The design is still too thin/backlit keyboards are too thick
- Apple wants to differentiate their Pro line from their Air line
- Not having it at all guarantees longer/better battery
- Too expensive/cuts into profit margins

*I've never used a backlit keyboard before

striker33
May 9, 2011, 05:08 AM
If apple changed the keys to white then that would help eliminate the need for a backlit keyboard, unless you have your screen brightness stupidly low.

I find it easy typing on an apple wireless keyboard in a dark room with my acd at 50% brightness.

jlblodgett
May 9, 2011, 06:24 AM
No.

OSMac
May 9, 2011, 06:42 AM
Sure hope so, but don't expect it, think as it was said above we will have to wait for MacBook pro redesign.

The air is selling well without it .

Scottsdale
May 9, 2011, 09:48 AM
Apple has removed seemingly key added features from products before just to replace them in the next version. Apple always seems to think incremental changes to maximize sales.

I don't feel that the backlit keyboard would cost Apple more than one USD per MBA. It cannot use much power at all and I don't believe it affects thickness either.

However, it is possible that Apple is using it as a strategic upgrade feature to sell more MBPs, but I doubt that too. I believe Apple could introduce a new form of illuminated keyboard in the next MBA. I think there was a patent application that revealed something new.

It might just come down to the role of the MacBook. If Apple keeps selling the a basic MacBook, it would make sense to use an illuminated keyboard on the MBA. If the MBA 11" becomes the MacBook replacement, then leaving the feature off makes more sense.

I hope it comes back as I miss it dearly. I definitely think at least the ultimate 13" MBA at $1799 should have the feature. At least an option would please most of us who are willing to pay for the features we want.

notjustjay
May 9, 2011, 09:54 AM
If apple changed the keys to white then that would help eliminate the need for a backlit keyboard, unless you have your screen brightness stupidly low.

That's an interesting point. What if the letters were printed on the keys with some kind of reflective ink that would make them "glow" from the LCD backlight?

GekkePrutser
May 9, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm going to miss it too :( Not for actual typing, as I can type blind. But just for those times when watching a movie, reading something etc with no hands on the keyboard, and then the need arises to press a key. E.g. changing the screen brightness, changing volume, subtitle delay, etc. It's really hard to see where the keys are if you just quickly need to tap a single key. I always end up straining to see which is the right one. Especially with the function keys because I don't know them by heart. The fact that the symbols are grey on black doesn't help, they're very low contrast.

I loved the backlit keyboard on my MBP for this reason, I always had them set to the lowest setting and it was great like that. Not intrusive at all but seriously helpful in the evenings.

I do think Apple will bring it back, I'm sure it won't cost a lot and the thickness implications will be minimal if they use some kind of Electroluminescent foil. I hope they just had to redesign it and left it until the next update.

gri
May 9, 2011, 10:56 AM
I sure do hope so and second Scottsdale's comment. A BL KB is the most reasonable thing in a mobile platform that might be use in dark environments when either typing blindly even doesn't help or it might be used by someone who cannot type blindly (like yours truly - but still fast). No idea why they took it out, I doubt its battery life (just switch it out) or even thickness. I rather have the MBA 1 mm thicker with it than 1 mm thinner and without it.

onthecouchagain
May 9, 2011, 12:06 PM
My guess is no.

If Apple plans to keep the same design -- which I think they will since they usually stick to one design for a few years -- then I don't foresee back light keys being added onto the Air. However, maybe the lack of back lighting has nothing to do with whether the Air has enough space or not, and more so with prices or battery life? I don't know.

I wouldn't expect to see it.

I think the more important thing to look for is what SSD and RAM base options Apple will offer...

Wang Foolio
May 9, 2011, 12:29 PM
Seriously can we have a poll or something and then bury the issue forever?

1. Won't buy without it.
2. Would be nice.
3. Don't care.

I've had one backlit keyboard in the past and I thought it was pointless and gimmicky. If I can find the volume/playlist contol function keys on my iMac's wireless keyboard next to my bed in the dark while drunk, you can figure it out too.

iRun26.2
May 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
Another pointless post.

Another pointless response. :)

iRun26.2
May 9, 2011, 12:37 PM
I hope so, even as an option in the 13" model. The original three revisions had it and were of comparable size.

I would be very disappointed if it only is brought back to the 13.3" model. I can see Apple doing that, differentiate between the two models,
since that might get some people to buy both (or simply spend more money to get the 13.3" version).

They are both the same thickness, however, and that gives me hope that they may bring it back to both versions of the MBA.

I'd definitely upgrade if the 11.6" MBA gets a BLK (regardless of price).

iRun26.2
May 9, 2011, 12:41 PM

I find it easy typing on an apple wireless keyboard in a dark room with my acd at 50% brightness.

In the dark, I use only one square of brightness to not disturb my wife. I do not consider that stupid.

Lord Appleseed
May 9, 2011, 12:50 PM
Another pointless post.

These BL-keyboad threads are like cancer.

Another pointless response. :)
Another pointless response, to a pointless response, to a pointless post/thread.

On Topic: I'd like it too but it's not here, yes it might come back, we'll see.

philxor
May 9, 2011, 12:56 PM
I hope they bring it back just to end all the threads like this one.

Personally, it's a useless feature. I use my MBA in the dark all the time and have never really felt like I wanted a backlit keyboard...

thejadedmonkey
May 9, 2011, 01:08 PM
I'd like to hope so!

ann713
May 9, 2011, 01:15 PM
I'm really hoping that it'll come back. I passed on this latest refresh, so I told myself the next update is the one to get.

Arsenal09
May 9, 2011, 01:41 PM
I really hope it!

torbjoern
May 9, 2011, 02:36 PM
That's an interesting point. What if the letters were printed on the keys with some kind of reflective ink that would make them "glow" from the LCD backlight?

They are already printed with reflective ink in the Rev D (i.e. 2010). Not like mirror-shine-reflective, but they are certainly silver-coloured and not white. And yes - I can see all the letters in the glow from the LCD backlight in the dark. I cannot see the symbols on the function keys, though, since these keys are too close to the bezel.

Beanoir
May 9, 2011, 02:38 PM
I am really sick of seeing so many threads about this. We could have an entire sub-forum!!

Can we make this a sticky please, at least until the next update comes out? It seems people obviously have the inability to search about 5 threads previously to find this being discussed already.

striker33
May 9, 2011, 04:08 PM
In the dark, I use only one square of brightness to not disturb my wife. I do not consider that stupid.

Figure of speech.

Replace the word "stupidly" with "very" if you please, it still has the same effect.

iRun26.2
May 9, 2011, 07:24 PM
They are already printed with reflective ink in the Rev D (i.e. 2010). Not like mirror-shine-reflective, but they are certainly silver-coloured and not white. And yes - I can see all the letters in the glow from the LCD backlight in the dark. I cannot see the symbols on the function keys, though, since these keys are too close to the bezel.

And those keys are the ones that I don't have memorized!

iRun26.2
May 9, 2011, 09:12 PM
I hope they bring it back just to end all the threads like this one.

Personally, it's a useless feature. I use my MBA in the dark all the time and have never really felt like I wanted a backlit keyboard...

Then why don't you kindly just ignore this thread. There are a lot of people who are interested in the BLK feature so, therefore it isn't useless. Just because you don't feel a need for it doesn't mean that other people don't have a right to their own opinion.

fyrefly
May 10, 2011, 12:12 AM
I hope it comes back as I miss it dearly.

I'm going to miss it too :( ... for those times when watching a movie, reading something etc with no hands on the keyboard, and then the need arises to press a key. E.g. changing the screen brightness, changing volume, subtitle delay, etc. It's really hard to see where the keys are if you just quickly need to tap a single key.

I'd rather have the MBA 1 mm thicker with it than 1 mm thinner and without it.

I am 100% in agreement with all of you regarding the BL keyboard. I've started working on a 2010 MBA and I miss it dearly.

But be careful... if this thread is anything like the other ones, there's about to be a bunch of trolls that come in here and tell us that anyone who wants a BL keyboard, or likes the feature in any way are all idiots who can't type and are somehow inferior to all those who hate the BL keyboard. :P :S

Beaverman3001
May 10, 2011, 12:49 AM
It isn't hard to memorize keys :rolleyes: these threads are getting old. I hope they discontinue it on every line just to annoy you people who can't type (kidding). But seriously, basing your whole purchase on a simple unneeded feature like a backlit keyboard makes no sense.

Beanoir
May 10, 2011, 03:06 AM
Then why don't you kindly just ignore this thread. There are a lot of people who are interested in the BLK feature so, therefore it isn't useless. Just because you don't feel a need for it doesn't mean that other people don't have a right to their own opinion.

I think it's not the issue of ignoring this thread so much, it's having to put up with people keep starting new threads about the same old topic!! Seriously, SEARCH function is there for a reason.

Mobius 1
May 10, 2011, 07:20 AM
*crosses fingers*

torbjoern
May 10, 2011, 07:56 AM
If putting the backlit keyboard in the Air will give the keys the same soft resistance of e.g. a Pro, I hope they won't put it back in. The question should be "will the keyboard of the MBA be improved?" instead. If it's backlit AND just as comfortable to type at, it's certainly an improvement.

It's an expensive computer, and Apple should have a VERY good reason for not including it. I have no problems with touch-typing at all, but I do love backlit keyboard, though.

GekkePrutser
May 10, 2011, 12:58 PM
If Apple plans to keep the same design -- which I think they will since they usually stick to one design for a few years -- then I don't foresee back light keys being added onto the Air. However, maybe the lack of back lighting has nothing to do with whether the Air has enough space or not, and more so with prices or battery life? I don't know.

I don't think keeping the same design necessarily precludes a BL keyboard. The very first MBA didn't have it but it was introduced in the next revision, which had the same physical design.

iRun26.2
May 10, 2011, 01:14 PM
I don't think keeping the same design necessarily precludes a BL keyboard. The very first MBA didn't have it but it was introduced in the next revision, which had the same physical design.

I think you are incorrect. My first generation MBA has a backlit keyboard.

onthecouchagain
May 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
Imagine if they can get the Air to have as much battery life as the iPads do? 10 hours would be impressive.

bcaslis
May 10, 2011, 01:43 PM

That's not correct. The very first MBA had a backlight keyboard. I had one.

That's another reason I don't expect to see a backlight keyboard until there is a form factor change. So no change in the next update.

mrsir2009
May 10, 2011, 01:46 PM
To all the people who will/have bitch(ed) about the fact that the backlit keyboard will drain the battery: If you don't like it, turn it off. Its not going to use any battery life if its turned off :rolleyes:

DarwinOSX
May 12, 2011, 07:20 PM
I think it will. There are a lot of complaints about it having one and I think this is the kind of complaint Apple may actually listen to.

happyslayer
May 13, 2011, 12:51 AM
I type just fine, but I do miss the BL keyboard that I had on my Rev B Air. Do I absolutely need it? Well, no, obviously not since I bought the 11.6. But it was a nice feature and it helped when I needed to do certain non-memorized key combos. Also, I did like to write in the dark. Now I usually have at least one light on in the room.

JMO

patent10021
May 14, 2011, 10:36 AM
I was about to pull the trigger on a new 13" MBA today until I realized that WTF, the cheaper MBPs have a BLKB and the MBAs don't. For me, this feature is valuable. I might buy a MBP and replace the optical with a second HD instead. Wanted the thin MBA though. Sigh.

fyrefly
May 14, 2011, 10:57 AM
I was about to pull the trigger on a new 13" MBA today until I realized that WTF, the cheaper MBPs have a BLKB and the MBAs don't. For me, this feature is valuable. I might buy a MBP and replace the optical with a second HD instead. Wanted the thin MBA though. Sigh.

If you don't need a computer right away, I'd wait about a month or so... there could be new MBA's out, and they might have the BL keyboard back...? :)

Mobius 1
May 14, 2011, 01:44 PM
i hope this backlit key thing will not get screwed up like the early unibody ancestors did.

backlit only on high end model (me no hav monies)

patent10021
May 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
If you don't need a computer right away, I'd wait about a month or so... there could be new MBA's out, and they might have the BL keyboard back...? :)Are you yanking my chain? Didn't they just release new laptops and iMacs with Thunderbolt a couple of months ago?

toddybody
May 14, 2011, 07:55 PM

Another pointless response, to a pointless response, to a pointless post/thread.

On Topic: I'd like it too but it's not here, yes it might come back, we'll see.

Another to another to another to...give it a break yall. In defense of the thread starter, this is a very pertinent question and I think deserving of the speculation. *Stepping off soap box

I personally think Apple will include BL to the next MBA just on the amount of criticism they're receiving alone. Taking it away was total lunacy. Me thinks it was a horrible attempt to convey the P in MBP...and somehow justify it more to people [though SB (minus it's IGP) and TB are great]

I still haven't forgiven them for keeping 1280x800 in the TB 13 MBP. :(

Are you yanking my chain? Didn't they just release new laptops and iMacs with Thunderbolt a couple of months ago?

New MacBook Pro's (and yes iMacs)...the Macbook Airs were last refreshed late 2010 (Octish I think...cant remember). Id think a summer refresh at latest...but Im no insider:cool:

Stetrain
May 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
100% competent touch typist here, typing on my non-backlit 2008 aluminum Macbook.

I would love to see a backlit keyboard on the 2011 MBA. Sure I can type paragraphs just fine without seeing the keys, but sometimes finding punctuation, function keys, or the fn/ctrl/alt keys (I go back and forth between Windows and Apple keyboards a lot) can be frustrating.

Just a small amount of backlight would be fine and would make using the computer a lot easier in dark situations. Sure you can get along just fine without it, I get along just fine without it right now, but when you're paying so much money for a premium laptop why should you have to squint and strain your eyes when all of the other premium Apple laptops have it as a standard feature?

My thought is that margins were very thin (by Apple standards :p ) when they released these new MBAs with standard SSDs, just like margins were thin with the first generation of unibody Macbooks.

Next revision the component and manufacturing costs should be a bit lower so I can see them throwing it back in. If they do I'll probably get a specced out 13" Air, if not I'll go with the 13" Pro which strangely still lacks the high res screen.

fyrefly
May 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
Are you yanking my chain? Didn't they just release new laptops and iMacs with Thunderbolt a couple of months ago?

Not yanking your chain at all! Multiple people who have accurately predicted MBP/MBA refreshes in the past have said that they expect Sandy Bridge-equipped MBAs to be released in June.

Apple has said there's gonna be no hardware releases at WWDC (no iPhone 5, and I guess no MBA) but that doesn't mean it can't release new MBAs later in the month...

trims
May 16, 2011, 05:21 PM
Do you think the backlit keyboard will come back to the MBA, in the next release (June, as many people think)???

Why is this such a big issue? Its not cost. Or practicality. If Onkyo can manage backlit keys on their remote controls, surely Apple can do it for a laptop? :rolleyes:

fyrefly
May 16, 2011, 11:06 PM
Why is this such a big issue? Its not cost. Or practicality. If Onkyo can manage backlit keys on their remote controls, surely Apple can do it for a laptop? :rolleyes:

I suspect it *is* cost. Even if it's $1/machine to outfit the backlit keyboard, that would be over $2M that Apple's saved (I assume they've sold almost 2 million MacBook Airs since October 2010 - due to the fact they sold over a million from October to January).

Apple likes keeping a ~30% margin on it's products. And Flash storage is expensive - so in trying to hit the $999 price-point, some things had to be sacrificed. The BL keyboard was one of those things.

People have said it's due to thinness, but there have been some engineers on these forums that have said that's hogwash, plus the fact that the new air is only 2mm thinner than the old air - which had a backlit keyboard. There's no way 2mm precludes the inclusion of the BL keyboard.

johnkountz
Jun 27, 2011, 12:25 AM
I will NOT buy another Mac without backlit keyboard. I hope Apple changes this policy, removing it from current gen Air's. I use my computer MOSTLY in dark settings, so this is a MUST have.

robert109
Jun 27, 2011, 01:22 AM
Maybe not, I think that cost a lot of battery life.

macjacky11
Jun 27, 2011, 02:23 AM
hope so, but dont think so here.

Beanoir
Jun 28, 2011, 07:01 PM

Here Here

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jun 30, 2011, 02:43 PM
Here Here

There there, calm down.;)

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jun 30, 2011, 02:45 PM
I don't think the almost endless complaints / requests on this forum will make Apple re-introduce the backlit keyboard. There seem to have been lots of requests for a wireless keyboard with a numeric keypad, but Apple haven't made one yet. :(

But I'd love it if they did. :D

Apple Expert
Jun 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
If they don't add the backlit keys to the next refresh, I won't be buying the MBA. :mad: This is a major selling point for me. I'm sure others over look this, but this is one feature I have grown accustom to having. Apple needs to add this back. Make it an option at least. It doesn't have to be standard, but give us the option to add it apple!

Scepticalscribe
Jun 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
I have owned two Apple computers, a 2008 15" MBP and a 2010 Rev C (SSD) MBA, both of which came with backlit keyboards.

I could point out that I have worked in places with rather erratic access to electricity supplies and that having a BLK was a considerable plus. And yes, I can touch type, but I also like the backlit keyboard. Hugely. And much prefer to have it on a computer than not.

For what it is worth, I have noticed an astonishing amount of vitriol directed towards those who wish to see the BLK reinstated whenever this topic comes up in a thread. The vitriol is unnecessary, and, to my mind, is somewhat excessive. In any case, be prepared to disagree and accept that the opinions of others may differ with you.

And yes, this topic does appear fairly frequently. Quite clearly, it comes up often, because it matters to a significant number of people (myself included; this is one of the main reasons I have held off buying an 11" MBA).

Cheers

lulla01
Jun 30, 2011, 03:52 PM
id pay an extra 50 for this feature, even though i hope they dont try and add this as a selling point and call it revolutionary

orfeas0
Jun 30, 2011, 04:28 PM
Nice idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorus
Hard to put inside the keys though, i guess.

Apple Expert
Jun 30, 2011, 04:37 PM
id pay an extra 50 for this feature, even though i hope they dont try and add this as a selling point and call it revolutionary

Same here. But no more than that. Be even better if it was included if you upgrade the processor or memory.

Duke15
Jun 30, 2011, 04:38 PM
I think it will come back with the nextgen MBA's that will give them something to add seeing as it already is super-thin and light not much more can be done to change it

darngooddesign
Jun 30, 2011, 04:46 PM
I don't think the almost endless complaints / requests on this forum will make Apple re-introduce the backlit keyboard. There seem to have been lots of requests for a wireless keyboard with a numeric keypad, but Apple haven't made one yet. :(

But I'd love it if they did. :D

Apple didn't put it on the first 13" Aluminum MacBook, but it was added back when that machine was rerepleased as the 13" MBP.

Legion93
Jun 30, 2011, 05:21 PM
not much more can be done to change it

Yes, the next MBA will be invisible - to activate you'll have to say an encrypted vocal password to generate the laptop in front of you, then close it and put it away.

Oppressed
Jun 30, 2011, 05:23 PM
2011 MBA are cheaper to make. That will either mean $100 discount or backlit keyboard. I would place money on either of these as coming true.

iRun26.2
Jun 30, 2011, 07:51 PM

I'd pay an extra $200 for the return of the Backlit Keyboard.

In fact, it would make me upgrade again even though I just bought my 'Ultimate' 11.6" MBA less than 8 months ago. Without it, I may wait.

(And, yes, I can touch type!). :)

Scottsdale
Jun 30, 2011, 08:24 PM
I just did a typing test a few weeks ago, and I hit 80 WPM and I still really want a backlit keyboard.

My errors are always first keystroke in the dark room without a backlit keyboard. In addition, when searching the web it happens often when needing to type and then scroll and etc.

This isn't about not being able to type, it's about having a feature we're accustomed to on a $1799 MacBook Air. I have seen the feature on computers half the price. The point is we all justify buying Macs because they have ALL of the features we want... so the problem is when Apple just dumps them for whatever reason.

I do believe that all of the threads and complaints could actually push Apple to put the feature back into the next MBA. Apple really does stuff like this just to get us to upgrade for a feature like this if we don't care about the other non-features. The backlit keyboard is critical to those who love it and are used to having it. It seems much more important than Sandy Bridge, 8GB RAM, and even a Thunderbolt port in my opinion.

The keyboard, trackpad, and display are the critical factors which I must love to enjoy my computing experience, and I would bet most would answer the same if they really thought about it.

Apple Expert
Jun 30, 2011, 10:28 PM
I'd rather have backlit keyboard over thunderbolt. Thunderbolt could be the new FireWire if apple doesn't let it be flexible as USB.

Ach111es
Jun 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
I honestly have no clue. Obviously I would really hope so!

I'm not sure if the other revisions of the Air had a back light, but it would be killer. Otherwise I honestly might just get a lame little USB light..

xkmxkmxlmx
Jun 30, 2011, 10:41 PM
Am I the only one who actually thinks the backlighting on the MBPs looks ugly? I think it looks cheap, like the light bleeds through too much.

I would want some type of backlighting on the MBA, yes, but not in its current state.

flynz4
Jun 30, 2011, 11:03 PM
Am I the only one who actually thinks the backlighting on the MBPs looks ugly? I think it looks cheap, like the light bleeds through too much.

I would want some type of backlighting on the MBA, yes, but not in its current state.

You can turn it off if you don't like it. I like the way it looks.

/Jim

KentMagnuson
Jun 30, 2011, 11:08 PM
I miss this feature as many other do. I tip the screen towards me a few degrees if I need more light on the keyboard. Not great, but better.

revelated
Jun 30, 2011, 11:17 PM
Doubt it. With the MacBook Pros rumored to become more MacBook Air like... I'm guess Apple would want to keep backlight keys as a 'pro' feature.

Fixed.

xkmxkmxlmx
Jul 1, 2011, 12:28 AM
You can turn it off if you don't like it. I like the way it looks.

/Jim

Yup, I know that. What I am saying is I would LIKE to have it, and use it. I just don't like how it looks. I would still like to use it, though.

johnkountz
Jul 1, 2011, 01:19 AM

You know the light level is adjustable, right...

tbobmccoy
Jul 1, 2011, 07:02 AM

This is actually my perspective too. If the light was only shining through the characters on the tabs, I would like it much better than the current set-up. I used to have a BlackBook and I'm more okay with moving to an MBA without a backlit keyboard than I was when I had the BlackBook as my primary computer. Backlit keyboards are a bit overrated for me.

xkmxkmxlmx
Jul 1, 2011, 08:57 PM

Seriously? Do you guys just post anything before reading? Yes, I know it is adjustable. Yes, I have used it on the original MBA AND my last MBP. I do not like it.

You know people just might not like certain things, right...

Wild-Bill
Jul 1, 2011, 09:08 PM
I hope they put it back into the next MBA. They should not have gotten rid of it in the first place.

If this release has no backlit keyboard, I will just keep chugging along with my "old" 2009 MBA and its backlit keyboard. No sale for Apple.

The battery life hit having a backlit keyboard is negligible, if I remember correctly. Besides, the level is adjustable.

Apple Expert
Jul 1, 2011, 09:10 PM
I hope some people at apple see these boards and know how much users want the backlit keyboard. If not then I'm going to get a MBP.

captainmuggles
Jul 1, 2011, 09:24 PM
I should hope so. I am posting right now on a Macbook Air with a backlit keyboard. Common sense should dictate that it will. BUT Apple has a strange way of looking at logical solutions. I own and use an Imac G4 All In One. I am totally enamored with it. But, the very first thing that I did on the day I received it was to buy a Saitek Eclipse backlit keyboard. I cannot fathom why anyone would not prefer a backlit keyboard on a laptop especially. My daughter offered me a Macbook Air 13" for Father's Day. I was reluctant at first because I didn't want another laptop without keyboard illumination. But when she told me it was first generation, I was elated. Now I use it almost exclusively. My three other computers have no keyboard backlighting, Ergo, they are gathering dust. Ah but I digress! Do I think that Apple will put backlighting on newer MBA's? No! Not unless they can make you think it was totally their idea, and our requests had nothing to do with it. There; I said it and I'm glad that I did!

iRun26.2
Jul 2, 2011, 01:51 PM
I hope some people at apple see these boards and know how much users want the backlit keyboard. If not then I'm going to get a MBP.

Which may be the reason Apple removed the backlit keyboard from the MBA in the first place...

Apple Expert
Jul 2, 2011, 02:05 PM
Which may be the reason Apple removed the backlit keyboard from the MBA in the first place...

They removed it because people wanted it? If they don't add it back (which they probably won't) then I'm going to buy me a MBP. Less of my money will be going to apple as I will buy the base 13" model and my own ssd and ram. Apple your money is on the table to collect.

marrzie
Jul 2, 2011, 09:05 PM
They removed it because people wanted it

You misunderstood him. He was saying that they removed it because YOU wanted it. It has nothing to do with all the other people. :confused:

iRun26.2
Jul 2, 2011, 10:03 PM
They removed it because people wanted it? If they don't add it back (which they probably won't) then I'm going to buy me a MBP. Less of my money will be going to apple as I will buy the base 13" model and my own ssd and ram. Apple your money is on the table to collect.

You want it so you are willing to buy a MBP. They (Apple) makes more money on the MBP. Most people don't buy the base model or install their own extras. Keeping it in a higher model also makes people have an excuse to buy both (but I don't have a desire for a 'big' computer like that...I use my 11.6" MBA and just curse Apple for taking it away when I try to use my computer in the dark). :)

Apple Expert
Jul 2, 2011, 10:20 PM
You want it so you are willing to buy a MBP. They (Apple) makes more money on the MBP. Most people don't buy the base model or install their own extras. Keeping it in a higher model also makes people have an excuse to buy both (but I don't have a desire for a 'big' computer like that...I use my 11.6" MBA and just curse Apple for taking it away when I try to use my computer in the dark). :)

I would buy the base model and do the upgrades else where.

Apple Expert
Jul 2, 2011, 11:02 PM
100% competent touch typist here, typing on my non-backlit 2008 aluminum Macbook.

I would love to see a backlit keyboard on the 2011 MBA. Sure I can type paragraphs just fine without seeing the keys, but sometimes finding punctuation, function keys, or the fn/ctrl/alt keys (I go back and forth between Windows and Apple keyboards a lot) can be frustrating.

Just a small amount of backlight would be fine and would make using the computer a lot easier in dark situations. Sure you can get along just fine without it, I get along just fine without it right now, but when you're paying so much money for a premium laptop why should you have to squint and strain your eyes when all of the other premium Apple laptops have it as a standard feature?

My thought is that margins were very thin (by Apple standards :p ) when they released these new MBAs with standard SSDs, just like margins were thin with the first generation of unibody Macbooks.

Next revision the component and manufacturing costs should be a bit lower so I can see them throwing it back in. If they do I'll probably get a specced out 13" Air, if not I'll go with the 13" Pro which strangely still lacks the high res screen.

I'm with you on this.

DanMacApple
Jul 2, 2011, 11:28 PM
I think there still is a good chance the backlit keyboard will be put back on the MBA as that is a feature that helps sell the MBP over the MB.

42streetsdown
Jul 2, 2011, 11:54 PM
I would buy the base model and do the upgrades else where.

Most people won't upgrade elsewhere. They'll spend the money at Apple.

I'm not totally convinced that Apple's motive is to make people choose the pro over the Air. They keep using the Air in all of their demos, and it's supposed to be the future of MacBooks or something. i think we'll be seeing the backlit keyboard again.

Apple Expert
Jul 3, 2011, 08:15 AM

I'm not totally convinced that Apple's motive is to make people choose the pro over the Air. They keep using the Air in all of their demos, and it's supposed to be the future of MacBooks or something. i think we'll be seeing the backlit keyboard again.

I hope your right. Apple does parade the Air a lot with Lion. Hopefully they put the best hardware features on the MBA.

trims
Jul 3, 2011, 05:16 PM
Don't know if MBA will get one, but Samsung have installed BLK already:

http://tinyurl.com/3dj82bp

Duke15
Jul 3, 2011, 07:09 PM
Don't know if MBA will get one, but Samsung have installed BLK already:

http://tinyurl.com/3dj82bp

Ya that could be one reason they put it back, to make sure the series 9 has nothing over it...as much as i hope that happens, i honestly dont think it will come back unitl the next-gen versions come out

iRun26.2
Jul 3, 2011, 08:17 PM

My best hope is that they tier the MBA models, making a 'Pro MBA' version that comes standard with a BLK. When their entry level version 'only' costs $999, I don't see how they could add it in (especially when the plain MB never had it).

What worries me is that they might only bring it back to the 13.3" MBA model. Now that I am used to the extra portability of the 11.6" MBA I could never go back to the 13.3" version.

iDave
Jul 3, 2011, 09:10 PM
Apple really reduced the price of the revised MacBook Air so I expect the lighted keyboard was a frill they could do away with. Obviously some people want it so I expect it'll come back someday; but maybe not until other component costs drop enough so it's doable at current prices.

Me; I'd rather not pay for something I wouldn't use. I'd much rather have more memory or storage at the current prices.

flynz4
Jul 4, 2011, 02:41 AM
I personally do not expect the backlit keyboard in this new release. It is the most desirable potential feature for me, but I am not expecting it.

My guess (and only a guess) is next summer.

/Jim

Apple Expert
Jul 4, 2011, 08:39 AM
Apple really reduced the price of the revised MacBook Air so I expect the lighted keyboard was a frill they could do away with. Obviously some people want it so I expect it'll come back someday; but maybe not until other component costs drop enough so it's doable at current prices.

Me; I'd rather not pay for something I wouldn't use. I'd much rather have more memory or storage at the current prices.

I'm sure the costs have dropped a lot since last years MBA.

iDave
Jul 4, 2011, 08:46 AM
I'm sure the costs have dropped a lot since last years MBA.
I don't know anything about processor costs. Are the expected new ones cheaper than Core 2 Duo? What about Thunderbolt? Does it cost much? If the total of the components is cheaper, maybe lit keyboards will happen, assuming they don't weigh much or add to the thickness.

mickliq
Jul 4, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'd like to see it. The 13" MBA high-res coupled with a SB i7 would definitely be interesting to me. The things that made me opt for my 2011 15" MBP were:

- High Res
- Glossy
- Backlit KB
- 500 GB SSD
- 8 GB RAM

I'd give up the 1680 x 1050 for 1440 x 900. I'd miss the black border glossy for the MBA's silver border glossy. I hope they offer a 500 GB HD option with 8 GB RAM, but I would pass if they don't offer the backlit KB...call me crazy :-)

captainmuggles
Jul 4, 2011, 09:13 PM

Everyone can't type without glancing at the keyboard once in a while. I realize it is ideal if you can. But I can't and I am not alone in that respect. Here is my opinion on backlit keyboards. Laptop computers and cell phones are portable, run on batteries and are used in every kind of lighting condition possible. And that includes total darkness. All cellphones have illuminated keypads. And ALL laptops should have illuminated keyboards with the option to turn them on or off at will! My opinion is based on logic and common sense. I am not looking for validation or total agreement. I also don't wish to argue with those who don't agree. It's just that this issue of backlit keyboards is getting out of hand!