Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prof.philia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Hi

I'm new here, and I wanted to share my update with you guys.

My wife has a Macbook Air2,1 late 2009 version, 1.86 with 80GB HD. Lately, it started to freeze too much, so I decided to change the hard drive with an SSD one.

I was trying to buy a used apple SSD, because I didn't know what type of SSD can fit inside the rev.C MBA.
Incidentally, I found the OWC SSD and I ordered it immediately (payed around $300 for the 120GB version).

The installation was easy. There is a video on youtube that guides you through the installation steps, Make sure that you remove the battery cable before touching anything inside your MBA.

Now, the performance is much better, the notebook sleeps and wakes like the newer version, and its much snappier than before.

here is some benchmarks of our updated MBA
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=526199
compared to before
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=522398

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Hi

I'm new here, and I wanted to share my update with you guys.

My wife has a Macbook Air2,1 late 2009 version, 1.86 with 80GB HD. Lately, it started to freeze too much, so I decided to change the hard drive with an SSD one.

I was trying to buy a used apple SSD, because I didn't know what type of SSD can fit inside the rev.C MBA.
Incidentally, I found the OWC SSD and I ordered it immediately (payed around $300 for the 120GB version).

The installation was easy. There is a video on youtube that guides you through the installation steps, Make sure that you remove the battery cable before touching anything inside your MBA.

Now, the performance is much better, the notebook sleeps and wakes like the newer version, and its much snappier than before.

here is some benchmarks of our updated MBA
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=526199
compared to before
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=522398

sounds awesome nice update!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The current MacBook Air models are the third generation or "revision C" as you put it. If your Wife's Mac MacBook Air is a Mid 2009 model then it is a second generation or "revision B". The Late 2008 and Mid 2009 MacBook Air share the same model number of A1304.

leonw

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
at home
I have an option on a 2nd hand mba/2.13/2gb/128ssd, less than 2years old, original apple. Is this a rev b or rev c? What I am most interested in is if it will perform as good as the new model (oct 2010). Is it the same cpu.( I got the impression that the c2d cpu's haven't changed at all?).
It will be my first mac and my main machine. I'll use it for light photo/video-editing (aperture/imovie), eye-tv, email, browsing, numbers, pages etc.
Will 2gb ram be a problem. As I undestand it is non-upgradable.
And does the trackpad functions like the newer models (there is a long bar below the trackpad for ???)
Other suggestions I should be aware off?
Thanks

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
I have an option on a 2nd hand mba/2.13/2gb/128ssd, less than 2years old, original apple. Is this a rev b or rev c? What I am most interested in is if it will perform as good as the new model (oct 2010). Is it the same cpu.( I got the impression that the c2d cpu's haven't changed at all?).
It will be my first mac and my main machine. I'll use it for light photo/video-editing (aperture/imovie), eye-tv, email, browsing, numbers, pages etc.
Will 2gb ram be a problem. As I undestand it is non-upgradable.
And does the trackpad functions like the newer models (there is a long bar below the trackpad for ???)
Other suggestions I should be aware off?
Thanks

It's revision C. Actually the actual serie (say, late 2010) is rev. D.
THe main problem with rev. C is that you cannot upgrade ram. 2 Gb could be somewhat short for a main machine (however, it depends from your main uses, if you don't do games or do not intend to use for Windows emulation, you're probably fine).
Trackpad is not as the new models, it works as old trackpads in the polycarb MB. The long bar you see is a button.
One advantage is the backlit kb. One further disadvantage is the shorter battery life, if compared with the new serie.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
The current MacBook Air models are the third generation or "revision C" as you put it. If your Wife's Mac MacBook Air is a Mid 2009 model then it is a second generation or "revision B". The Late 2008 and Mid 2009 MacBook Air share the same model number of A1304.

No, the OP's MBA is a revision C. I have the same computer. Here's the history:

1,1 = Rev A
2,1 = Rev B, Rev C (processor, HD updates)
3,1; 3,2 = Rev D

prof.philia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011

You may take a look here

Also, the HD was 120GB not 80GB "my mistake"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.