Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nun

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Hey guys,

I plan on picking up a 13" air on my travels to America, does anyone have any idea if stores stock 13" air with 4GB of RAM or will I have to BTO? Also, can you BTO for an in-store pickup?

Thanks

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
It depends on which exact store you visit, but all the stores in my area stock the 13" 4GB 2.13GHz 256GB model. That's the only 4GB 13" model they carry.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Apple sometimes have non-standard Macs in store, but only very popular configurations and not always. I don't think you can pick up a BTO in store. I'd phone them and ask if they have one.

I would say upgrade yourself later, but you can't with the MBA.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple kept the base configuration at 2 GB RAM. Judging from the iMac refresh, I predict not only will the RAM stay the same, the SSD sizes will as well. SSD prices haven't dropped at all enough.

However, we'll get the bump up in processor, thunderbolt tech, and likely an HD Facetime cam.

I'm hoping for improved battery life too?

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple kept the base configuration at 2 GB RAM. Judging from the iMac refresh, I predict not only will the RAM stay the same, the SSD sizes will as well. SSD prices haven't dropped at all enough.

However, we'll get the bump up in processor, thunderbolt tech, and likely an HD Facetime cam.

I'm hoping for improved battery life too?

We'll most probably see CPU bumps, facetime HD and a boost to the graphics. I doubt we'll even see Thunderbolt seen as how thin the MBA is... and also, they don't have firewire ports on the current gens (even the white macbooks dont have firewire). I think they will push Thunderbolt as a pro feature... hope im wrong though

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
We've bought two of the 13 inch Air's with 4gb in stores; one in WA and the other in HI. It's not a problem to find them, if you're willing to accept the 256gb SSD.

RealScience

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
You might want to post the general area of the U.S. that you visit--the availability is going to vary quite a bit.

(At lease some of my local--SF Bay Area--carry the "Ultimate 13" configuration as that store'ss standard stock item)l

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
We'll most probably see CPU bumps, facetime HD and a boost to the graphics. I doubt we'll even see Thunderbolt seen as how thin the MBA is... and also, they don't have firewire ports on the current gens (even the white macbooks dont have firewire). I think they will push Thunderbolt as a pro feature... hope im wrong though

Size is not a problem seeing as the already existing MDP becomes the TB port.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'd be incredibly surprised if Apple left out Thunderbolt technology in the Air refresh; I don't believe they'll leave one of their best selling computer lines in the proverbial dust. I think it'll simply replace the Mini Display Port.

I think the two things to look to most are whether Apple offers higher standard SSD and RAM numbers. I would love to see the 13" come standard with 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM. I doubt it'll happen though, considering SSD prices haven't dropped significantly. The 4 GB RAM standard could swing either way.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Not everywhere, for sure ....

I was just in the Apple Store in St. Louis, MO a couple days ago and asked about this. I was told they don't have any of the 4GB Airs in stock, whatsoever.

We've bought two of the 13 inch Air's with 4gb in stores; one in WA and the other in HI. It's not a problem to find them, if you're willing to accept the 256gb SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.