PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Repair Disk

Dwalls90
May 9, 2011, 10:59 AM
It seems my hard disk has corrupted some files. It IS bootable, but some of the thread counts are messed up. I'm not noticing any direct errors, and the hard disk itself is functioning. I've tried using single user mode to perform disk repair but it fails every time.

Any suggestions? I'm crossing my fingers that the next lion update will either fix it, or somehow fix disk repair so that will fix it :(

mrapplegate
May 9, 2011, 11:09 AM
It seems my hard disk has corrupted some files. It IS bootable, but some of the thread counts are messed up. I'm not noticing any direct errors, and the hard disk itself is functioning. I've tried using single user mode to perform disk repair but it fails every time.

Any suggestions? I'm crossing my fingers that the next lion update will either fix it, or somehow fix disk repair so that will fix it :(

Drives fail sometimes. I don't think you can assign blame to an OS. The next version of Lion is not magic and will not fix broken hard drives. Did you run the Apple hardware test DVD and check the drive?

Dwalls90
May 9, 2011, 12:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I did not, though I've had HDDs fail before and its recognized by disk repair. I also have win 7 dual booted and that operates fine. Furthermore it's a new Mac, the drive is hardly months old, and I've repaired te disk before with no issues. I'm quite confident it's not a hardware issue and so are looking for a way to fix the os in some way... Should I just do a clean install? I have my media/apps backed up.

Shazaam!
May 9, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have used DiskWarrior 4.3 under 10.6.7 to successfully repair 10.7 volumes

mrapplegate
May 9, 2011, 12:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I did not, though I've had HDDs fail before and its recognized by disk repair. I also have win 7 dual booted and that operates fine. Furthermore it's a new Mac, the drive is hardly months old, and I've repaired te disk before with no issues. I'm quite confident it's not a hardware issue and so are looking for a way to fix the os in some way... Should I just do a clean install? I have my media/apps backed up.

A clean install can't hurt anything. What did a search of the Apple Dev forum find? I have not seen reports of Lion causing hard drive errors there. If there were a lot of people having the same issue it would be reported there as well.
If you have the time and the proper backup go ahead and do a clean install. If the same thing happens after that I would report the problem along with the log files Apple needs to investigate.

Dwalls90
May 9, 2011, 04:53 PM
I have used DiskWarrior 4.3 under 10.6.7 to successfully repair 10.7 volumes

That's good to know actually! The only problem is that 4.3 doesn't support the early 2011 MBP or iMacs according to their website :(

A clean install can't hurt anything. What did a search of the Apple Dev forum find? I have not seen reports of Lion causing hard drive errors there. If there were a lot of people having the same issue it would be reported there as well.
If you have the time and the proper backup go ahead and do a clean install. If the same thing happens after that I would report the problem along with the log files Apple needs to investigate.

I didn't thoroughly tear apart the dev forums. If I am to perform a clean install, should I backup and restore using TM? Wouldn't that just copy/replicate the disk issue?

mrapplegate
May 9, 2011, 05:40 PM
I didn't thoroughly tear apart the dev forums. If I am to perform a clean install, should I backup and restore using TM? Wouldn't that just copy/replicate the disk issue?
If the OS is to blame, yes I would think the same thing could happen again.
I would restore from a working point before your Lion install since any restore from your corrupt Lion install might introduce the same problem.
I searched and could not find any posts either, so maybe start a thread there and include your bug report ID so someone from Apple can look.

Dwalls90
May 9, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm going to wait and see if the next update which is due out in a week or so fixes this, at which point I will attempt a disk repair again. If not I'll probably wait for disk warrior to be updated and fix it that way. The system is bootable and frequently backed up so I'm not afraid of losing data, but it seems odd that the disk "needs repair". I've never had this issue with any OS X or previous DP/Betas.