Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patriarch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2011
It's a long story, but there's a new MBA 4Gb on my desktop, a Superdrive plugged into it, and a Parallels install partly finished. And I'm not a Mac Guru, just asked to play one on television...

Win7 64bit is loaded in the drive on CD. It's a good disk, having installed in on the older MBP with not enough memory to run the apps it needed in Win mode.

The Superdrive shows as running on SATA 0:2, iirc, and that's somewhat questionable this morning. Win7 fails to boot there, or on any other setting for the Superdrive. The image shows on the Mac desktop, though, so the brand new, ripped from the cellophane this morning drive seems to be working. It's plugged into the USB port on the left...

So I'm suspecting a setting in the Parallels install, but banging my head on where to find it now? Help, please, from someone who knows these woods!

patriarch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2011
I hate it when that happens...

Post a thread as a newbie, and have 75 people read it, and no answers. That's not a problem, really. The problem is that I answered the question through another source...

I ended up making an image of the software disk, dropping that on the Mac desktop, and connecting the pointer file in the Parallels installation to that image. Thereafter the install ran just fine.

When I started on microcomputers, back forever ago, there was a saying: RTFM. I should remember the old stuff these days, too.

Thanks for being here, though. I enjoy reading the threads...:)

pezza

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Make sure superdrive is connected to virtual machine

Hi, just read this, glad you found a fix. The other way to do this is to make sure that the superdrive is connected to the virtual machine, it sounds as if you had it visible on the mac os side as you said the disc was mounted on the mac desktop.

The setting is made via the devices menu in parallels desktop, you should see it under the usb or cd menu, make sure the device is captured by the virtual machine.

Pezza:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.